App Review Kaspersky vs Avast vs ESET Detection test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
All is default, fyi.
Because not all computer users can tweak the settings tho.. so that why, I test all products in default for now...

Reactions: shukla44

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Thanks for this video. but unfortunately for me, this video proves something a little different.

This test was done with default settings. But avast, by default, prompted you to do what you want to do with the threats (which you selected - delete) then you showed that only some files are left.
And yet in kaspersky case the default settings is 'disinfect, if not possible delete', so kaspersky has more files left as it doesn't prompt in auto mode so you can't select delete all.

I believe you could have given them common ground and selected the delete option as default in kaspersky as well. Then this should have showed the real detection test between them. Saying that you wanted to do the test in default mode, then showing the result by just counting the files left is not really showing comparison of settings as it is of detection.

I have a test video too, and this is how a common ground is established -

I do not mean to sound rude. I like your tests videos as somebody has given the time to do something that i can't do and share it with others for the benefit of all. I am just sharing my opinion as how you can improve your tests and make them better and better.

Regards.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I'm not really impressed with those results... We also see everyday in Virus Exchange MalWareHub section that there is different criteria adding malware samples...

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Thanks for this video. but unfortunately for me, this video proves something a little different.

This test was done with default settings. But avast, by default, prompted you to do what you want to do with the threats (which you selected - delete) then you showed that only some files are left.
And yet in kaspersky case the default settings is 'disinfect, if not possible delete', so kaspersky has more files left as it doesn't prompt in auto mode so you can't select delete all.

I believe you could have given them common ground and selected the delete option as default in kaspersky as well. Then this should have showed the real detection test between them. Saying that you wanted to do the test in default mode, then showing the result by just counting the files left is not really showing comparison of settings as it is of detection.

I have a test video too, and this is how a common ground is established -

I do not mean to sound rude. I like your tests videos as somebody has given the time to do something that i can't do and share it with others for the benefit of all. I am just sharing my opinion as how you can improve your tests and make them better and better.

Regards.

its "Disinfected" not disinfect
is it same or different?

Also, I tried scanned that folder with Kaspersky 2x.
Nothing, nothing is detected ;)

Last edited:

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
its "Disinfected" not disinfect
is it same or different?

I mean this.

CM29C7v.jpg

Yes. it is different. If you are doing the test with kaspersky in default settings, you just can't count the files and calculate the detection rate. And if you want to do this method, then you first have to select the option 'delete' or 'prompt when scan is complete' so that you can select delete all. Then you can count the files and calculate the correct detection rate.

Reactions: harlan4096

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Think about this. Kaspersky not detected those files, after first scan right.
Then I scanned 2x more after that. still same... so?

IF I missed to delete 1 file. Then on 2nd scan, kaspersky will detect it
isnt it?

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016

isnt it?

You don't get what i am saying. I am saying what if kaspersky disinfected those files (not delete but disinfect) & this way files are still there but not harmful.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Actually, if the files have already been disinfected by Kaspersky, then they won't be detected again. Thus, the remaining disinfected files count - which is bad for Kaspersky, because it wrongly assumes that Kaspersky has lower detections. Which in fact, those files have already been disinfected.

I am going in circles here.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

isnt it?
I believe what @shukla44 is trying to say is that the file extensions may have been changed or the malicious files within the malware was neutralized so when it said there was for example '30' files left, as far as we know '10' may have been neutralized (disinfected) so the actual remaining files COULD'VE been (for example) 20.

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Nothing is changed.
Ok, i scanned the folder 2x. Why kaspersky cant detect /no threats detected?
if it detected again after 1st scan, then Im wrong...

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Nothing is changed.
Ok, i scanned the folder 2x. Why kaspersky cant detect /no threats detected?
if it detected again after 1st scan, then Im wrong...

Nobody is saying you are wrong. Kaspersky will not detect anything after the 1st scan. Why are you scanning again & again.
The point i was trying to make is about the left files & comparison of security suites.

Disinfect & delete are both very different thing. Kaspersky has (i don't know why) disinfect set as default, which gives the tester the wrong idea about malware samples as they are still present after scanning & removal.

I am simply stating that -

Change your setting in kaspersky in Scan > Action on threat detection > delete (See the spoiler). Then do the whole test over again with the whole samples. Then it would be a real comparison between them. Thanks :)
CM29C7v.jpg

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Yes. So that means need to be tweak right?
My test is default, all of them...

I hope, they will change it

and thank you for suggestion.
I make new clean windows 10 64bit. scan again with your settings. Yup, different result. I recorded it.
will try make it as a GIF file. or a video? upload it to youtube when its done

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Yes, thanks for listening. :)

I do hope kaspersky changes that.

Until then, whenever testing with kaspersky in default settings please change that one setting so that you can easily count the samples & provide the detection rate.

Regards.

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Yes, thanks for listening. :)

I do hope kaspersky changes that.

Until then, whenever testing with kaspersky in default settings please change that one setting so that you can easily count the samples & provide the detection rate.

Regards.

sure, I always listening and will think about all suggestions.
Thank you hope you dont mind after we got little debate...
Here the video. I uploaded it as public on my YouTube.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
sure, I always listening and will think about all suggestions.
Thank you hope you dont mind after we got little debate...

Thanks, it's great. I certainly expect that from great community users like yourself. :);)

I don't mind that at all, i love debates but unfortunately i can never fully explain my side.
That is one of the reason why i never became a teacher. ;) Sorry i have gone a little off-topic.

Coming to the topic, Thanks again for the quick video.

Regards.

Reactions: Venustus

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Thanks, it's great. I certainly expect that from great community users like yourself. :);)

I don't mind that at all, i love debates but unfortunately i can never fully explain my side.
That is one of the reason why i never became a teacher. ;) Sorry i have gone a little off-topic.

Coming to the topic, Thanks again for the quick video.

Regards.

No problem
I just hope now, kaspersky will change to 'delete' by default

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.