App Review Kaspersky vs Avast vs ESET Detection test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
hello, good tests those who have been doing:) I just subscribed a couple days ago.
I would like to see a test with avg, avast and eset like this one, if possible, thanks.

and yes, this forum its really awesome;)

MTUser

Level 4
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
@safe1st

BTW, ESET is in the same situation as Kaspersky!

By default some files are disinfected instead of being deleted! You need to change the "cleaning level" at the threatsense parameters, of the on-demand scanner, to "no cleaning". This way the user will be prompt for an action and then you need to choose "delete" to get the real result.

Please, repeat the test because the actual result for ESET isn't right! Thank you :)

;)

Last edited:

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
You never want delete by default, if a system file is infected and deleted it could wreck the computer. That's the amazing side to Kaspersky, the ability to disinfect infected files, a property not offered by many security software.
I see your point. Maybe that's why kaspersky never changed it to delete. :)

But i have it set on delete, and never had any problems with system files because of other components like system watcher & quarantine (deleted files too go to Quarantine). System watcher is always there to rollback the changes to system files & registry. Quarantine is there if you REALLY need to restore the deleted file.

Reactions: Tony Cole

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
@safe1st

BTW, ESET is in the same situation as Kaspersky!

By default some files are disinfected instead of being deleted! You need to change the "cleaning level" at the threatsense parameters, of the on-demand scanner, to "no cleaning". This way the user will be prompt for an action and then you need to choose "delete" to get the real result.

Please, repeat the test because the actual result for ESET isn't right! Thank you :)

;)
Perfect!
ESET is the same as kaspersky
Great video @safe1st , I always leave my like :)
#Google translator.

Reactions: MTUser

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If we are going to exclude those secondary components and rely on cloud/signatures hence may go to ESET or Kaspersky in terms of higher percentages. But of course everything is different side of story. In terms of default settings then expect different outcomes so better conduct custom settings.

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
hello, good tests those who have been doing:) I just subscribed a couple days ago.
I would like to see a test with avg, avast and eset like this one, if possible, thanks.

and yes, this forum its really awesome;)

sure next time ;)

You never want delete by default, if a system file is infected and deleted it could wreck the computer. That's the amazing side to Kaspersky, the ability to disinfect infected files, a property not offered by many security software.

So we have 2 results then. With default and a change, suggested setting by @shukla44

If we are going to exclude those secondary components and rely on cloud/signatures hence may go to ESET or Kaspersky in terms of higher percentages. But of course everything is different side of story. In terms of default settings then expect different outcomes so better conduct custom settings.

so you want tests with tweaked settings?

Last edited:

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
I think it will be good idea if you combine 2 tests in the same video : default settings and tweaks for maximum protection so people can see both sides of the coin.

Reactions: Venustus and Jrs30

MTUser

Level 4
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
@safe1st did you read my previous post? :p

Can you "retest" ESET like you did for Kaspersky? It's fair, since ESET is in the same situation as Kaspersky. Like Kaspersky, by default ESET sometimes disinfects the file, so the results for it aren't right on your test.

BTW, thanks for your work :)

Thanks.

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
@safe1st did you read my previous post? :p

Can you "retest" ESET like you did for Kaspersky? It's fair, since ESET is in the same situation as Kaspersky. Like Kaspersky, by default ESET sometimes disinfects the file, so the results for it aren't right on your test.

BTW, thanks for your work :)

Thanks.

Today I finished detection test, more details video. ESET vs Avast vs AVG.
different samples, newer samples...
stay tuned, still rendering atm.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@safe1st: Well the reason I said it is to prove the overall functionality of the product, but still better at default because its the usual settings that user never change once AV install on the system.

Feel free to make your own point of view, if you can follow their request then go ahead. :) Objectivity is the root of success to have final conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.