Battle Kaspersky vs Bitdefender vs GDATA vs Avira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compare list
Kaspersky vs Bitdefender vs GDATA vs Avira
G

Guilhermesene

Hi,

It all depends on your hardware and the purpose for which you use your device.

I really like Kaspersky, however, I'm not using it right now. If your hardware has at least 8gb of RAM, I recommend you to use Bitdefender because it is automated and has an excellent detection rate both online and offline. It being automated will make you do your tasks more objectively and will save time, becoming more productive since there is no need to configure the security software after all, it will always be at its maximum capacity.

At first, Bitdefender will seem a bit "heavy" on your system, however over time it will adapt to your system and become lighter (of time to it.. do not install and already remove). In any case, it is recommended that you test each software and see which one best applies to your scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maschera

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
Of all of these it is Kaspersky. Bitdefender or G Data are not bad as a solution either.
Hi,

It all depends on your hardware and the purpose for which you use your device.

I really like Kaspersky, however, I'm not using it right now. If your hardware has at least 8gb of RAM, I recommend you to use Bitdefender because it is automated and has an excellent detection rate both online and offline. It being automated will make you do your tasks more objectively and will save time, becoming more productive since there is no need to configure the security software.

At first, Bitdefender will seem a bit "heavy" on your system, however over time it will adapt to your system and become lighter. In any case, it is recommended that you test each software and see which one best applies to your scenario.
Thank you for your comments. Our system has 64GB ram. We use it for artificial intelligence studies.

G

Guilhermesene

Thank you for your comments. Our system has 64GB ram. We use it for artificial intelligence studies.
Cool, in this case Bitdefender tends to work very well, especially after it adapts to your system.

My Windows desktop has 32GB of RAM and it works perfectly, even more so when it's been installed for a few days.

If you are going to use Bitdefender you can do the following to help adapt the product to your system:
  1. Install Bitdefender and update it afterwards
  2. Restart your device
  3. Open program by program on your device (this is necessary as it will make Bitdefender create rules in your firewall and analyze the application helping to adapt)
  4. Perform a complete system analysis
  5. Leave your device turned on for a few hours for the Photon technology to work on adapting
The important thing is, give it time, all software needs some time installed on your system to adapt and make things go faster. I recommend that you install and test it for a few days, or even weeks, and then uninstall it if you so wish.

In a few days the AV will be adapted to your system and will consume less device resources.

I always do this on a fresh install and it works great 🙂

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
All products mentioned offer good protection in all the fields you listed. My usual advice for anyone asking this kind of question is to use the products you are interested in for their full trial period. Your needs are quite specialized, and you really should check for performance impact.

Also, concerning system impact, do not discard Bitdefender and Kaspersky for an initial high impact. Make sure to run a full system scan after installing and updating as both products will create an internal database of known software in your machine, and you will feel a great performance difference after they do.

One of the criteria I would hold in mind is that in your particular situation you may wish a more granular control of the protection software so I would discard Bitdefender in this case as it is mostly automatic and does not offer granular control of features. Also consider Bitdefender is quite automated and probably the only one that offers close to maximum protection out of the box. All the others will require some tweaking.

Notice that all products mentioned also automatically send unknown software to their clouds for analysis. So, if you are developing anything sensitive, make sure to turn off that feature.

G

Guilhermesene

All products mentioned offer good protection in all the fields you listed. My usual advice for anyone asking this kind of question is to use the products you are interested in for their full trial period. Your needs are quite specialized, and you really should check for performance impact.

Also, concerning system impact, do not discard Bitdefender and Kaspersky for an initial high impact. Make sure to run a full system scan after installing and updating as both products will create an internal database of known software in your machine, and you will feel a great performance difference after they do.
I'm sorry more, without wanting to be annoying, but you said what I already said 🤨

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Kaspersky has best performance/protection when you take a look into malware hub, youtube tests, shadowra reviews and several av test industries ( its never ends up being infected)

I checked the prices of every antivirus you listed up, i would take kaspersky total security keys from kinguin price of 7 usd per key, but thats just my opinion

about kinguin, i have bought several antivirus keys, nintendo switch games, gametimes for games etc. if youre worrying about cheap licenses

Other antivirus vendors you listed up are good enough aswell if you want to go with something else ( i would swap avira with f-secure though)

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Kaspersky and Bitdefender of course.
I'd say Bitdefender since it's as good as Kaspersky, but it outplay Kaspersky in terms of privacy friendly so here is that.

GData is bad. In terms of Protection it's good almost as good as Kaspersky and Bitdefender, but in terms of support it is bad. their support team' knowledge about their own products is not updated. they say something is not working at the moment but it's working, they give false information in email tickets to you and then they have to apologies for the false information and correct themselves this has been in multiple cases as i've been testing their customer support. also they abandon tickets if they can't solve it, just having a case with them that their Firewall keep keeping my PC disconnect when i change servers in my VPN( Mullvad ), it's been 12 days since i've sent the logs they requested by email, i've heard nothing back. it's just sad to see a German company like this

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Well I would pick Kaspersky over others you have mentioned simply because its light weight, reliable and offers very effective protection.

ESET is an alternative which you haven't mentioned worth considering.

In terms of protection and performance, ESET and Kaspersky are neck and neck but the advantage going with ESET is that, it offers very good protection from PUP (potentially unwanted programs) too if that matters to you.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Bitdefender for me. Solid protection and i was impressed how light it was on the system. They've come a long way in terms of resource management and the product is very easy to use. Tried GDATA, it is a fine product, but very heavy on resources. Avira would be a big No No...bloatware⚠️

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I was going to suggest similar: install trial versions. In addition, run a benchmarking program like NovaBench a couple of times (no need to test the GPU) after clean uninstalling the previous AV and installing the new one, and note the results. If you can't do that, check AV Comparatives and see the performance charts.

From there, try copying files, browsing folders, running apps, browing the 'net, etc., and see which ones feel lighter.

Finally, for protection, check test results at AV and some YT links.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
I really don't understand why you should consider Avira with its horrendously huge package when there's an excellent F-Secure, which uses Avira technologies + its own and doesn't offer a bunch of adware garbage. And for network and web security, the free PortMaster with NextDNS configured in it is perfect. :)

Maschera

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
Update: We were very pleased with the confidence that GDATA made, the strong protection features and technologies it provided. They won the favor of our malware and analytics team. However, we have to part ways with GDATA in terms of performance and especially due to the problem of starting certain processes late each time. We hope that GDATA will improve itself in terms of both interface and performance.

Currently, we have made an agreement with Bitdefender and purchased a license. There are no performance issues and everything is fine. Thank you to everyone who commented.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As you have found a solution that works for you and your business, I have now closed the thread.

If you would like this thread re-opened, you can request it by clicking the Report button (OP only).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.