Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
more you hooks into the kernel , more you make it unstable and unsafe.
Good point!
Kernel Patch Protection ( "Patchguard" ) is a feature of 64-bit editions of Windows that prevents patching the kernel. "Patching the kernel" refers to unsupported modification of the central component or kernel of the Windows operating system. Such modification has never been supported by Microsoft because it can greatly reduce system security and reliability. However, though Microsoft does not recommend it, it is technically possible to patch the kernel on x86 editions of Windows. But with the x64 editions of Windows, Microsoft chose to implement technical barriers to kernel patching.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
How does Shadow Defender work, do are all changes made during the session deleted upon reboot? Can you still run Kaspersky, or will any signature updates be gone when you reboot?

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
How does Shadow Defender work, do are all changes made during the session deleted upon reboot? Can you still run Kaspersky, or will any signature updates be gone when you reboot?
great piece of software!
If in shadow mode your Kaspersky will work but you will have to redownload definitions when exiting shadow mode which forces a reboot thereby exiting shadow mode!

All changes are deleted unless you commit certain files!
http://www.shadowdefender.com/help.html

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
what about using HitmanPro.Alert with Kaspersky 2016 total security?
Is that wise or unwise?
(by the way, today HMP.A came out with a new build, improved ransomware protection)

And what about Spyshelter free? Should I use it with Kaspersky, or overkill?

I am using SecureAPlus for anti-executable.

I keep reading that Kaspersky is on the ball with ransomware, so I thought I would give it another try.
This time, I was FINALLY able to solve the problem I was having, that cloud protection was not connecting.
It was my ISP. I called them up, and they fixed it.
They were doing overzealous filtering.
I like Kaspersky -- when it works.

H

hjlbx

A lot of security softs conflict with Kaspersky.

Lots of user can't successfully combo Sandboxie, HitmanPro.Alert, others with Kaspersky. Then, once in a while, you will find someone that has no problem.

For example, @omidomi combos Sandboxie and Kaspersky together without issue - despite Invincea stating that Sandboxie will not work with Kaspersky.

There used to be an issue between HMP.A and Kaspersky, but I am not sure if it has been fixed.

With Kaspersky being such a large, complex, comprehensive soft - and the potential for conflicts - I think the prevailing practice is to install only Kaspersky. However, that doesn't mean you cannot try to combo it with other security softs.

Since conflicts seem to be system specific, it is one of those situations where you have to try combos on your system to see what happens.

Personally, I think SpyShelter free isn't needed. HMP.A would be my choice. Although if I used Kaspersky, I would be inclined to use it all by itself. It already has anti-keylog when it is most needed using Safe Money and an anti-cryptor in System Watcher.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
A lot of security softs conflict with Kaspersky.

Lots of user can't successfully combo Sandboxie, HitmanPro.Alert, others with Kaspersky. Then, once in a while, you will find someone that has no problem.

For example, @omidomi combos Sandboxie and Kaspersky together without issue - despite Invincea stating that Sandboxie will not work with Kaspersky.

There used to be an issue between HMP.A and Kaspersky, but I am not sure if it has been fixed.

With Kaspersky being such a large, complex, comprehensive soft - and the potential for conflicts - I think the prevailing practice is to install only Kaspersky. However, that doesn't mean you cannot try to combo it with other security softs.

Since conflicts seem to be system specific, it is one of those situations where you have to try combos on your system to see what happens.

Personally, I think SpyShelter free isn't needed. HMP.A would be my choice. Although if I used Kaspersky, I would be inclined to use it all by itself. It already has anti-keylog when it is most needed using Safe Money and an anti-cryptor in System Watcher.
One of the recent updates of HMP.A mentions improved compatibility with Kaspersky. That one was a few months ago.
I installed HMP.A, on top of Kaspersky, and I am seeing no problems.
Windows 10 pro x64 stable build.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Yup i confirmed hjbx.
see here:
Untitled.png

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
btw: in last week many of Kaspersky users (MR1) said they have problem with kaspersky update,(kaspersky need reboot after update)
but its not happen for me...

Reactions: shukla44

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Some months ago I tested a bit HMP.A with Kaspersky 2016 during trial period, got a BSOD with a HMP.A driver and sent dumps to SurfRight, I think They fixed it, but with current Kaspersky 2016 Patch B I haven't tested yet, and I don't have a HMP.A Premium License to test with all the full features, so maybe any other user can help You here...

As @hjlbx said, there is a high probability to get some incompatibility issues, Kaspersky 2016 has also its own Anti-Exploit technology which may get in conflict with HMP.A

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Some months ago I tested a bit HMP.A with Kaspersky 2016 during trial period, got a BSOD with a HMP.A driver and sent dumps to SurfRight, I think They fixed it, but with current Kaspersky 2016 Patch B I haven't tested yet, and I don't have a HMP.A Premium License to test with all the full features, so maybe any other user can help You here...

As @hjlbx said, there is a high probability to get some incompatibility issues, Kaspersky 2016 has also its own Anti-Exploit technology which may get in conflict with HMP.A
yes, I already uninstalled HMP.A.
Even though it seemed to be working right, but I can't know what's going on under the hood. Might end up getting less protection, rather than more.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If it was working fine, just keep it! :)
if a threat actually comes along, maybe the two softwares will trip over each other's legs trying to stop it?

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Does AppGuard and WinAntiRansom Plus work with Kaspersky? But after cruelsister(s) it shows that even Kaspersky can fail on droppers that cause system reboots, it should be sent to Kaspersky to fix the issues and not ignore them. But, hey I'm sure Eugene really cares.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@harlan4096, do you think that kaspersky with your tweaks would fail on droppers like that, or is this vulnerability only with default settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.