Advice Request KAV and HMP.Alert together?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevi

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I have used Webroot SA over 5 years alone, with good results, but now I´m about to buy a new computer, and along with that start to buy stuff with a creditcard over the net.Although I trust WSA ,I´m hesitant to use it alone when using creditcard.Of course I´m thinking about keyloggers, and I know KAV should be effective against them, but I have thought about using Hitman Pro.Alert along with KAV.Have anybody any experience with this combo? I know Kaspersky is very picky with other security software running along with it.
I´m using LastPass, so I feel reasonably safe regarding PW´s, so my problem is mostly whether I can run KAV and Hitman together?

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Yes both do well together as discussed above.
HMPA provides a strong behavioral and anti-exploit protection, ransomware protection and keystrokes encryption, all this with a signature-less approach.
HMPA will be a powerful complement to what KAV might miss.
The only potential concern can be the CPU usage. Kaspersky goes heavy at times and combinations may add a bit to it. If you have a more than average PC, it should be fine.
Kaspersky is a real-time scanner whereas Hitman Pro is an On Demand scanner. You can definitely use both in conjunction with each other.
HMP is indeed an on-demand scanner, but the product in talks in HMPAlert, that has realtime protection modules.

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
I think Kaspersky includes all mechanisms and is good enough for hitmen and it starts out useless. Kaspersky also contains antizneuziti antiexploit function and protection. I would have liked sandbox (Sandboxie) + Kaspersky (KIS).

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I think HMPA is really useful in a configuration that is lacking in this aspect, for example, because of specific gaps in the main antivirus.
Kaspersky, especially if it is slightly tweaked, perfectly carries out his work, but of course you can use both :)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I think Kaspersky includes all mechanisms and is good enough for hitmen and it starts out useless. Kaspersky also contains antizneuziti antiexploit function and protection. I would have liked sandbox (Sandboxie) + Kaspersky (KIS).
Even I believe that HMPA is less effective (less needed) when used along with Kaspersky than any other AV, since KAV/KIS already cover a lot of these modules.
But if you check out analysis of some exploit tests (and video reviews), HMPA made to the top level, leaving behind most other AVs and anti-exploits. It goes a little ahead to protect against exploits, rw and unknown malware with unique mechanisms of detection.
Sandboxie still has some issues with Kaspersky. Better try Shade sandbox or use Comodo FW to complement KAV.

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Even I believe that HMPA is less effective (less needed) when used along with Kaspersky than any other AV, since KAV/KIS already cover a lot of these modules.
But if you check out analysis of some exploit tests (and video reviews), HMPA made to the top level, leaving behind most other AVs and anti-exploits. It goes a little ahead to protect against exploits, rw and unknown malware with unique mechanisms of detection.
Sandboxie still has some issues with Kaspersky. Better try Shade sandbox or use Comodo FW to complement KAV.

I have been using KTS and HMPA for a while now I think they compliment each other well and with the risk reductions like keystroke encryption and the on demand scanner it makes a nice package.

I also use Sandboxie and the problem with running your web browser in it and using KTS is with certain browsers like Chrome is you have to set KTS/KIS to not scan encrypted connections otherwise the browser can't connect to a lot of sites, However if you use a chromium based browser like Brave or Iron you don't need that work around. So if you are a Chrome user and want to use this combo with Sandboxie you are better off with a Chromium hybrid.

HMPA also has issues with Sandboxie the workaround for that is to just hide the error alerts in Sandboxie and HMPA works fine.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I have been using KTS and HMPA for a while now I think they compliment each other well and with the risk reductions like keystroke encryption and the on demand scanner it makes a nice package.
Ofcourse it it! There are no conflicts and work great together :)
also use Sandboxie and the problem with running your web browser in it and using KTS is with certain browsers like Chrome is you have to set KTS/KIS to not scan encrypted connections otherwise the browser can't connect to a lot of sites, However if you use a chromium based browser like Brave or Iron you don't need that work around. So if you are a Chrome user and want to use this combo with Sandboxie you are better off with a Chromium hybrid.
That's a workaround for KIS. However, I've been talking about Kaspersky in general as KAV is being discussed from the title.
Different versions of sandboxie have different issues with Kaspersky, and with some other security products too.
For some users, it works ok, neglecting some errors. Some users (especially Win7) face 'service not implemented' error or it fails to implement some sandboxing activity as it is expected to. I've read some such cases of incompatibilities on different versions of either.
Sandboxie 5.x has issues with other apps too.
Best is to try out, if it works satisfactorily, well and good!

W

Wave

Kaspersky Anti-Virus in combination with HitmanPro.Alert would be an extremely nice configuration. Unless you dislike blocking advertisements (since I know that some do), add an ad-blocker extension to your primary web browser to help prevent malvertising attacks.

However using KAV without HMP.A would also work well, it depends on you... Use what you are comfortable and can work with while trying to keep it as minimal and reasonable as possible, however no matter what security you use, make sure you are careful since if you are not you'll most likely end up infected regardless.

Nevi

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
This is sweet music to my ears. Then everything should be as I hoped.I do use Chrome with uBlock Origin and Lastpass, so my browser config should be reasonably okay too.
I´m also glad to be getting Hitman Pros malware scanner.I´m using MBAM free now, but would rather use HP.
Thank you for all answers.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: JB007

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
This is sweet music to my ears. Then everything should be as I hoped.I do use Chrome with uBlock Origin and Lastpass, so my browser config should be reasonably okay too.
I´m also glad to be getting Hitman Pros malware scanner.I´m using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware free now, but would rather use HP.
Thank you for all answers.;)
HMPA's scanner is only on-demand, but Kaspersky will take care of most of the things anyways.

Reactions: JB007 and Nevi

Nevi

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I just wanted to update my post. I bought a sweet Lenovo Cube Y720. And until now I have kept WSA but added HMP.alert. After talking with some friends, I realized it would be overkill to use both Kaspersky and HMP.alert. WSA and Hitman run great together. Still a very light set up.
I still use Chrome with Lastpass and HTTPS everywhere.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.