KB's Config (Need Suggestions)

kb99

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 5, 2015
My computer is used by others, but not necessarily a lot. Whenever someone else does it's a guest account to prevent downloads. I've been thinking about changing to another free AV, but not strictly a cloud one I want signatures. I also need a lot of suggestions, so please reply. :)

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
If you're looking for an other free AV other than Avast, I would recommend 360 Total Security for the following reasons.
  • Very light on system resources
  • Excellent signatures
  • Handy tools like temp file cleaner and system patch-up
  • Having the option to use the Avira and Bitdefender engines
But still, it really depends on your personal needs.

Thanks for sharing your config!! :D

Dau-Bui

Level 1
Verified
Jan 22, 2015
Whenever someone else does it's a guest account to prevent downloads
I don't get it. Did you mean if someone log in as guest, they would be prevented from downloading?

- About extension, are both Bitdefender TrafficLight and Avast Online Security installed on Chrome? I suggest removing one of them since they almost do the same thing. Bitdefender gives more FPs than Avast. I also recommend add a password manager such as Lastpass. :)

- If Avast is doing its job well, so why are you thinking about changing it? If you wish to, I recommend 360 Total Security or 360 Internet Security, the reasons are as @Paul Lee mentioned.

- One more thing, you should have a backup program such as Paragon Free since you work a lot on this system. It may save you in case someone make mistakes..

The rest looks good.. Thanks for sharing your cofig! :D

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello (again) kb99.:) You have good secondary scanners, and I personally use CCleaner after every browsing session. I also like it's ability of removing programs, and it's popularly recognized as the safer method of removing unneeded registries, though this should not be of concern to most.
I agree with Dau-Bui's recommendation of LastPass. As a user of Zemana you'll find LastPass shall add extra layers of encryption security with the bonus of convenience. I use very long character passwords, some of which even 'I' do not know. Before I came to trust LastPass, I wrote down a handful of our most widely used passwords on a 3" by 5" card which I've never had to retrieve.:rolleyes: The suggestion of Paragon, or any proven form of back up for your system would be a wise move indeed.:)

I trust Paul Lee's recommendation of 360 TS because, although I've not yet used it, he offers consistently good suggestions.;):p
I use Avast! as do you.;)

Why not enter some of our Free Giveaways, they're exclusive to members and they are absolutely free! The AVs we use on 2 of our 3 systems are paid versions that have come from our giveaways ..and (additionally) the generosity of some fellow members too!!:):) Did you know most paid AVs offer 30 day trials? If you cannot decide upon a choice from among the many free options, why not test drive from one these excellent AV solutions?
An example is ESET. We use the lighter ESET NOD 32 with Windows Firewall on our Windows 7 SP 1 (soon to expire). They also have a 30 day trial for ESET Smart Security which includes their own Firewall & child security features.
Btw, thank you for sharing your configuration

Last edited:

kb99

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 5, 2015
I like the idea of 360, because I've always been pondering that. I tested it once and I like it from the UI to the protection. Then again, if you just read your URLs and read your download names and watch for double extensions you will stay safe. When I say others can't download executables. They are not admins, I have two admin accounts, one main and one backup. The only person that can download and run executables and change system settings is on my admin account. Thanks for the suggestions, I never thought of a lot of those. :)

kb99

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 5, 2015
I just got the Paragon Backup and Recovery 14 Free. I like its features, also currently I do not own an external HDD. However, I plan on getting a Western Digital Passport 1 TB. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

kb99

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 5, 2015
I also forgot to mention that I have Super Anti Spyware. I have not used it in a very long time. I think I want to switch it, but I do not want to. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Reactions: Dau-Bui

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.