• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 92963
  • Start date

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
True. But if you look at the blocked entries in the log, and hover over the red "i" you'll see why something was blocked. I've never seen AI block anything. But maybe that's because my filters are blocking it first.
If a resource is blocked by multiple filters it will be indicated.

Screenshot 2022-02-22 222042.png

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Thread author
Major update of my "EU US most prevalent ads & trackers ABP format for uBlockOrigin and Adguard". The list now contains over 5500 rules some using the wildcard for all country codes/top level domains only supported by AdGuard (they were the first) and uBlockOrigin. This list blocks third-party advertings & tracking networks and does not contain cosmetic filtering rules. I think it is a pretty effective blocklist. I did a comparatives test on the websites I visit a lot and compared to other blocklists targeting the networks (e.g Ghostery, Disconnect and Peter Low's) I was really satisfied with the results.

uBlockOrigin
Adviced usage for uBlockOrigin power users (using medium or hard mode and/or knowing how to use the element picker to create filter rules to hide any left overs),
DISABLE ALL default blocklists and USE ONLY:
- Enable AdGuard's URL parameter remove filter from the Filterlists menu (LINK1)
- Add my Kees1958 EU-US most used ad&tracking networks blocklist to custom filters (LINK2)
- Add EasyList allow list to custom filters to correct any false positives advertising blocks in my list (LINK3)
- Add EasyPrivacy alllow list to custom filters to correct any false positive tracking blocks in my list (LINK4)
- Add LennyFox blocklist for youtube to custom filters (LINK5)

Advised usage for uBlockOrigin want fast and effective set and forget advertising and tracking protection
- Enable AdGuard's URL parameter remove filter from the Filterlists menu (LINK1)
- Add my Kees1958 EU-US most used ad&tracking networks blocklist to custom filters (LINK2)
- Add Adguard Base and EasyList optimized filters to custom filters (LINK6)
- Your local language Easylist Filter (just select your local region/language from the Filterlists pane)

AdGuard
Adviced usage for AdGuard power users (knowing how to use the rules wizzard to create filter rules to hide any left overs),
- Enable AdGuard's URL parameter remove filter in Privacy Filters section (LINK1)
- Add EasyList allow list to custom filters to correct any false positives advertising blocks in my list (LINK3)
- Add EasyPrivacy alllow list to custom filters to correct any false positive tracking blocks in my list (LINK4)
- Add LennyFox blocklist for youtube to custom filters (LINK5)

Advised usage for AdGuard users who just like its superb adblocking and tracking protection
- Enable "Select appropriate filters automatically"
- Enable optimized filters
- Enable stealth/incognito mode

Enjoy

I found four FP's. Please report any problems, I will take action asap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Major update of my "EU US most prevalent ads & trackers ABP format for uBlockOrigin and Adguard". The list now contains 5575 rules some using the wildcard for all country codes/top level domains only supported by AdGuard (they were the first) and uBlockOrigin. This list blocks third-party advertings & tracking networks and does not contain cosmetic filtering rules. I think it is a pretty effective blocklist. I did a comparatives test on the websites I visit a lot and compared to other blocklists targeting the networks (e.g Ghostery, Disconnect and Peter Low's) I was really satisfied with the results.

Advised usage for AdGuard users who just like its superb adblocking and tracking protection
- Enable "Select appropriate filters automatically"
- Enable optimized filters
- Enable stealth/incognito mode
Kees, great work as always, there is one problem with stealth/incognito mode is that it deletes third party cookies after some time.
That can cause issues with logins.
I would disable that setting for "just enjoying its superb adblocking and tracking protection".

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Thread author
Kees, great work as always, there is one problem with stealth/incognito mode is that it deletes third party cookies after some time.
That can cause issues with logins.
I would disable that setting for "just enjoying its superb adblocking and tracking protection".
Valid point, but with the default 2880 minutes ( 48 hours) expiration time, you won't run into banking, booking or buying problems, it only forgets the stored login password.

You could add an allow rule for cookies for that website to keep your password saved, e.g. for malwaretips.com it would look like
------------------------------------------------------

@@||malwaretips.com^$cookie

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Thread author
Great work (y)

I'm guessing this one is not required when all third party cookies are selected to be blocked by the browser.
Indeed and I already removed it: 🤯 to many false positives. Problem with some 'most used' sources is that they also contain regular websites with a lot of visitors. The only reason why these cookies are labeled as tracking cookies is because they set an eternal life time cookie, while they don't contain any information which serves some purpose for the user (e.g. storing password or saving preferences). :mad:

This is why self destructing cookies (and AG's remove third-party cookies after 48 hours) are a better solution. When the website checks whether these cookies are present, they are, but these thrid-party cookies are not stored for ever, but removed by the browser's clean up mechanisme after 48 hours (or less when you shorten the minutes to keep 3p-cookies alive in AG)

gin

Level 7
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Indeed and I already removed it: 🤯 to many false positives. Problem with some 'most used' sources is that they also contain regular websites with a lot of visitors. The only reason why these cookies are labeled as tracking cookies is because they set an eternal life time cookie, while they don't contain any information which serves some purpose for the user (e.g. storing password or saving preferences). :mad:

This is why self destructing cookies (and AG's remove third-party cookies after 48 hours) are a better solution. When the website checks whether these cookies are present, they are, but these thrid-party cookies are not stored for ever, but removed by the browser's clean up mechanisme after 48 hours (or less when you shorten the minutes to keep 3p-cookies alive in AG)
this list breaks youtube

1645705413246.png

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Thread author
@gin

1645707356992.png
What extension are you using? ==> Edit I see, I will install uBlockOrigin, give me a moment

1645708003510.png
Youtube works for me on uBlockOrigin with Kees1958 as only filterlist, could you check again?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

I see. My browser is set to block all third party cookies except the ones required for Microsoft login and downloading files from Google Drive. Don't have issue with any other site that I visit. But then again, Google is getting rid of third party cookies with their Topic feature, right?

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Thread author
@SeriousHoax

Yes, tracking through third-party cookies has had it longest time (also because many browsers offer to delete session cookies or more advanced history cleaning at browser close).

Chromium based browsers make it relative easy to set website exceptions and by using different profiles for general (strict) and trusted (easy) browsing, third-party cookie blocking is very easy to handle (I have set it only for a few 3p-cookie consents).

-
1645715818531.png

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

Where's the link to Kees1958 EU-US most used blocklist for uBlockOrigin and AdGuard? Can't find it on filterlists.com

Thanks

Reactions: simmerskool

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

I tried adding

httxs://github.com/Kees1958/W3C_annual_most_used_survey_blocklist/blob/master/EU_US%2Bmost_used_ad_and_tracking_networks.txt

to Adguard Adblocker extension under Custom filter but there’s an error message saying error while adding your custom filter. No issue when adding Frogeye - First-party trackers from filterlists.com

Any help?

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Thread author
When on Adguard MV3 beta use the raw 'MV3 most common' version (you posted), when on 'production V4 version' AdGuard Mv2 use the 'most used' version (the one Oldschool posted). The one you posted has the top 1000, the one Oldschool posted over 6000 ad and tracking networks. When you use OISD.nl at the DNS, you only need Kees1958 most used for tracking protection besided AdGuard Base or Easylist (for ads). At least that is my experience.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.