Kevbo's config

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I suggest that you change your browser to Comodo Dragon, Chrome, or MoFox as I believe that Opera is no longer supported.
Might add HitMan Pro, or Emsisoft Emergency Kit to your on-demand.
It is politically incorrect, but I don't even use Malwarebytes anymore (not that I won't again). HitMan scans in no more than 4 minutes and seems like it always shows up MBAM at the end of video reviews.
Might check out Process Hacker II for a stellar alternative to Windows Task Manager.
Add User Account Control and you should be good.
I would begin looking for a solid cloud antivirus. Panda has a free one, and Webroot has a paid one.
Sandboxie and WinPatrol look good. If you are using those UAC might not be nearly as crucial. Avira is good, and I used to use it, but cloud AV's are looking more and more like the future.
Config could easily survive as-is though.

Explain your last infection, if you don't mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevbo

kevbo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 31, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions Gnosis. Just a few questions/comments:
Do you mean Opera is no longer have being developed? Cuz I'm pretty sure the latest version is only about one month old.

Will take another look at Hitman. I used to use it a while back, can't remember why I installed it. Any particular reason for your preference?

Will look into your other suggestions, which are appreciated.

My last issue was a PUP pickedupby MBAM, not an infection. That's about the extent of security trouble for me (knock, knock).

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
You have done well if it was just a PUP.
HitMan Pro is much faster and usually catches more than Malwarebytes does. It is not free though. However, you can use the trial for a one-time removal of anything you find. Regardless, you can select the "advanced" tab and implement "Early Warning Scoring". If your trial is used up for prior removal, simply click "goto location" at the drop down menu at the end of the infection line items that HitMan finds. Then you can manually delete the malware (make sure restore point is in place).

kevbo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 31, 2013
I'll definitely look into it, thanks for the reply.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Your realtime protection depends only on Avira. If Avira misses something then you are in trouble. I will recommend some kind of anti-exe or whitelisting applications to add to your setup. Free app like SecureAPlus can greatly increase your protection or there are paid apps like AppGuard, EXE Radar Pro or VoodooShield which you can try.

kevbo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 31, 2013
Good point, thanks. My surfing habits are pretty low risk, so I never worried much about layering.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I liked your configuration, thanks for sharing it! It's simple, straightforward, & you aren't using a ton of add-ons (I wonder if you can use Ghostery?) with Opera ..which I also like, even as Opera will soon be joining with the Dark side of the Chrome Force (Webkit engine) soon if not already.:cool: I like how you're one of the few members I've read whom still uses "Avira Free" *sits up straighter* ..like me! :) You know, it CAN be tweaked!:D Also, a number of the WISE ONES, here, informed me of the Windows User Account Control (Antiviral & Firewall) programs that come ready to activate & are included on your system. That's what we've used on our family use Windows 7 system!

Last edited:

kevbo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 31, 2013
@Cats-4_Owners-2

Thanks. I like to keep things simple, easier for me to remember what I'm doing.;)Ghostery does indeed run in Opera (the older Presto version, which will only be supported for a more months). I have tried the newer webkit Opera, but didn't care for it

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

kevbo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 31, 2013
Avira has always worked efficiently for me. Occasionally I will try something different, but on my personal machine, it keep coming back to it.

D

Deleted member 178

Avira + UAC is enough (not saying Avira will have or has a cloud feature), he has Sandboxie and Winpatrol to backup them; indeed Opera latest is chrome-based but he used the old engine one

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
You have done well if it was just a PUP.
HitMan Pro is much faster and usually catches more than Malwarebytes does. It is not free though. However, you can use the trial for a one-time removal of anything you find. Regardless, you can select the "advanced" tab and implement "Early Warning Scoring". If your trial is used up for prior removal, simply click "goto location" at the drop down menu at the end of the infection line items that HitMan finds. Then you can manually delete the malware (make sure restore point is in place).
Windows 7, with Sandboxie & UAC is solid. :) I learned about HitMan Pro on this thread, and Gnosis (truly the patron Saint of XP OS) was right! I used it this morning for my XP even after tweaking the Avira Free to scan further. Afterwards the "HitMan" found & extracted 223 cookies from ...I don't know where (..well, actually now I DO!). If you ever need a very effective scanner at no cost, you might be as pleasantly surprised by HitMan Pro as me. My personal XP now starts quicker and more smoothly than it has for years.:D ..then again, XP is a "Rubber Duck" of a target when compared to a swan in flight like Windows 7!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

kevbo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 31, 2013
Windows 7, with Sandboxie & UAC is solid. :) I learned about HitMan Pro on this thread, and Gnosis (truly the patron Saint of XP OS) was right! I used it this morning for my XP even after tweaking the Avira Free to scan further. Afterwards the "HitMan" found & extracted 223 cookies from ...I don't know where (..well, actually now I DO!). If you ever need a very effective scanner at no cost, you might be as pleasantly surprised by HitMan Pro as me. My personal XP now starts quicker and more smoothly than it has for years.:D ..then again, XP is a "Rubber Duck" of a target when compared to a swan in flight like Windows 7!:rolleyes:

My laptop runs W7, but we have two older desktops the kids use which are running XP, and one running Vista (which my geeky son prefers, believe it or not). Will try Hitman on those also.

Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

kevbo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 31, 2013
Might add HitMan Pro ... to your on-demand.

For some feedback, I finally took the time to download and install HitMan Pro on my machine, and it came up with a remnant of mobogenie. I don't know how many times i ran MBAM which never picked up on it. So thanks for your advice.

Funny thing was, when I did a search for mobogenie, the second site listed was for a tut by Jack, an admin on this site! Bravo guys!!

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
MBAM is a great tool, but HitMan Pro is so much faster and seems to catch everything MBAM catches, and then some.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.