Level 1
Thread author
May 17, 2020
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Keyboard keys not responding.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Contacted LG support, reinstalled drivers, restarted PC
Hi everyone!

My built-in keyboard is having weird issues. A majority of the day, the keys e, q, tab, tilde, and caps lock do not respond to pressing; however, every day when I wake up and turn on the computer, it works for a brief period of time. I have an LG Gram laptop. This issue has been bugging me for a while now; any thoughts?

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Hi everyone!

My built-in keyboard is having weird issues. A majority of the day, the keys e, q, tab, tilde, and caps lock do not respond to pressing; however, every day when I wake up and turn on the computer, it works for a brief period of time. I have an LG Gram laptop. This issue has been bugging me for a while now; any thoughts?
If you know how to open up your lap, remove your keyboard connector from motherboard, wipe the contact of the ribbon cable with a clean cotton or with some rubbing alcohol, reinstall the cable and try. If this does not fix the issue its time to buy a new keyboard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tetridental73

Level 1
Thread author
May 17, 2020
Try an external USB keyboard and see if it does the same thing. If it does, you know it is not the laptop keyboard.
I somehow forgot to mention this, but I used an external keyboard to type up this post.

If you know how to open up up lap, remove your keyboard connector from motherboard, wipe the contact of the ribbon cable with a clean cotton or with some rubbing alcohol, reinstall the cable and try. If this does not fix the issue its time to buy a new keyboard. ~JoyousBudweiser
I'm not too confident to open up my laptop, but I'll see if this helps if I ever do this. Thanks!

1. Try booting to a Linux Live USB if you have one and see if the keyboard responds
  2. Try booting to Safe mode...
I tried booting to Safe Mode with Networking, and it still doesn't function; however, how would i boot to a Linux Live USB?

Upvote 0

tetridental73

Level 1
Thread author
May 17, 2020
Hi! I don't have a convenient flash drive, but I do have one of those large backup drives. Now, I've never done this before, but is it possible to partition the drive so that it can be registered as essentially a flash drive but then when I'm done with it wipe the partition and reintegrate it into the drive? Sorry for the inconvenience!

Upvote 0

wat0114

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
Hi! I don't have a convenient flash drive, but I do have one of those large backup drives. Now, I've never done this before, but is it possible to partition the drive so that it can be registered as essentially a flash drive but then when I'm done with it wipe the partition and reintegrate it into the drive? Sorry for the inconvenience!
Too bad, I was hoping you would have a Linux pendrive or, if applicable to your device, a Linux optical boot disk. This step might then be more trouble than it's worth, especially if you're not comfortable creating one. The fact an external keyboard seems to work for you, and you're still seeing problems in Safe mode, leads me to believe it is a physical issue with the keyboard, but of course not certain. The advice from @JoyousBudweiser I think is worth a try if you know someone who is comfortable and skilled with disassembling a laptop.

Upvote 0

tetridental73

Level 1
Thread author
May 17, 2020
Too bad, I was hoping you would have a Linux pendrive or, if applicable to your device, a Linux optical boot disk. This step might then be more trouble than it's worth, especially if you're not comfortable creating one. The fact an external keyboard seems to work for you, and you're still seeing problems in Safe mode, leads me to believe it is a physical issue with the keyboard, but of course not certain. The advice from @JoyousBudweiser I think is worth a try if you know someone who is comfortable and skilled with disassembling a laptop.
All right, thank you. When lockdown is over, I'll try and find a computer mechanic that I know.

Upvote 0

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
It is possible to partition an external drive using Disk Management in Windows 10 -

I've never used a partition on a large capacity external drive as a 'flash drive' so it might be worth waiting to see if anyone here has experience of doing that. I've used smaller capacity USB sticks as described earlier in this thread without any problems.

Upvote 0

zoran popovic

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 26, 2019

Upvote 0

tetridental73

Level 1
Thread author
May 17, 2020

I've tried all of the links you've given me, except for the solutions that reuire taking things apart; I will try that later, when I feel more confident with handling my computer. Thanks!

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.