Advice Request KFA and GlassWire Pro

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
What do you think of the combo KFA and Glasswire Pro?

I believe it is an enhanced shell for Windows Firewall adding extra features. Anyone have experience with GP?

Reactions: oldschool and dash

dash

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
Sounds like a good combo but I'd add Sandboxie or VoodooShield if it were me. That said, I'm a Level 1 so what do I know lol.

But yeah, I had GW Elite for a little while. It does use the Windows Firewall, it's just a front end for it (plus VT lookups and system watcher functionality).

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Sounds like a good combo but I'd add Sandboxie or VoodooShield if it were me. That said, I'm a Level 1 so what do I know lol.

But yeah, I had GW Elite for a little while. It does use the Windows Firewall, it's just a front end for it (plus VT lookups and system watcher functionality).
Unfortunately , Sandboxie from what I have read elsewhere does not work well with KFA.

Reactions: oldschool and dash

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
KFA and CFW is better IMO and both are free
I was using CFW/cs with other AV and after the latest update 6744, the FW went haywire on my configs after I imported them back. Also I have been reading that it can be buggy.

Anyone know of a version that is stable?

Allego

Level 2
Verified
Jan 25, 2016
I was using CFW/cs with other AV and after the latest update 6744, the FW went haywire on my configs after I imported them back. Also I have been reading that it can be buggy.

Anyone know of a version that is stable?
I'm not sure though because I don't use it anymore. Based on my experience, I never had any issue with CFW other than the visual bug and I believe it was already fixed. You can use the CS settings though and it's easy to set.

dash

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
@SearchLight FWIW I had issues with Comodo Firewall 11 (Cs). For some reason it kept blocking good files (like from Microsoft etc). Luckily nothing caused a crash or anything. I wanted it to work, it just didn't on my system. Not sure if I'm the only one or not.

I saw on their forum that some users were still using v10, I think because bugs.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
@SearchLight FWIW I had issues with Comodo Firewall 11 (Cs). For some reason it kept blocking good files (like from Microsoft etc). Luckily nothing caused a crash or anything. I wanted it to work, it just didn't on my system. Not sure if I'm the only one or not.

I saw on their forum that some users were still using v10, I think because bugs.

Thanks for the info on v10.

Reactions: dash

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I only know this about GW Pro, it's way overpriced. If it were a one-time purchase, that would be different. Why not stick with WF and supplement KFA with something else? VoodooShield is one alternative. And TinyWall is a simple effective controller GUI for WF. It blocks everything necessary for Windows, except what you allow. Very simple and easy to use. You should know this about TW: it appears that it's no longer maintained by its creator and no one knows what happened to him. It still works with WF since MS has not changed WF in years. Also, the installer from the developer's website no longer works for 1803+ but someone on GitHub has made an installer for it. I use his version. If you are interested you may find it here:

Windows 10 Privacy Guide - Spring Creators Update He recommends it as one of 2 options in his privacy guide.

BTW: I use TinyWall with Voodooshield Pro.

I had a negative experience with CF blocking safe files but I was not always certain what they were due to my skill level. You could try CF v10.2, but I don't know it works with W10 1809.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.