Advice Request KFA combo

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I've already mentioned this briefly but I think it needs repeating to anyone who hasn't used Comodo Firewall before. It unquestionably provides excellent protection but it is notorious for causing serious problems when trying to uninstall it, which you will need to do when updating to a new version - don't even think about trying to install over the existing version unless you want to cause yourself major, and quite possibly irreparable, grief.

This is the procedure you will need to follow:
Most Effective Way to Reinstall/Update CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems - Install / Setup / Configuration Help - CIS

Who in their right mind wants to do this every time, especially when, even if you follow it to the letter, there's still a good chance you will have insurmountable problems, as I did? I used CFW for several years but each clean install of a new version became increasingly problematic until, despite following Chiron's guide above to the letter, it would not install and caused multiple BSODs and numerous issues, which required a ridiculous amount of time and effort to eventually get things up and running again. So I was forced to go to another product.

Even if things go as planned, it is still a ridiculously complex and time consuming procedure, and if it goes wrong, as I found, it can cause a lot of grief, and if you visit Comodo forums you will soon see this is a fairly common occurrence.

So, if you don't mind having to jump through hoops whenever you need to install a new version, and the strong possibility of serious issues even if you follow the guide correctly, then go ahead and use Comodo. Personally I just don't think it is worth all the grief, no matter how good its protection. My advice is to avoid it and instead use KFA (or even better, Kaspersky Security Cloud Free) alongside at least OSArmor, and VoodooShield too if you wish. I have found no conflicts with either.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I've already mentioned this briefly but I think it needs repeating to anyone who hasn't used Comodo Firewall before. It unquestionably provides excellent protection but it is notorious for causing serious problems when trying to uninstall it, which you will need to do when updating to a new version - don't even think about trying to install over the existing version unless you want to cause yourself major, and quite possibly irreparable, grief.

This is the procedure you will need to follow:
Most Effective Way to Reinstall/Update CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems - Install / Setup / Configuration Help - CIS

Who in their right mind wants to do this every time, especially when, even if you follow it to the letter, there's still a good chance you will have insurmountable problems, as I did? I used CFW for several years but each clean install of a new version became increasingly problematic until, despite following Chiron's guide above to the letter, it would not install and caused multiple BSODs and numerous issues, which required a ridiculous amount of time and effort to eventually get things up and running again. So I was forced to go to another product.

Even if things go as planned, it is still a ridiculously complex and time consuming procedure, and if it goes wrong, as I found, it can cause a lot of grief, and if you visit Comodo forums you will soon see this is a fairly common occurrence.

So, if you don't mind having to jump through hoops whenever you need to install a new version, and the strong possibility of serious issues even if you follow the guide correctly, then go ahead and use Comodo. Personally I just don't think it is worth all the grief, no matter how good its protection. My advice is to avoid it and instead use KFA (or even better, Kaspersky Security Cloud Free) alongside at least OSArmor, and VoodooShield too if you wish. I have found no conflicts with either.
If you were using comodo products 10 years ago, i can agree with this
There barely is any major problems nowadays
Voodooshield free is just too noisy/heavy compared to cf
Just my personal experience

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
If you were using comodo products 10 years ago, i can agree with this
There barely is any major problems nowadays
Voodooshield free is just too noise compared to cf
Just my personal experience
Simply not true. I was using CFW up until three years ago. And as the Chiron procedure is still being updated and added to it would suggest there still isn't a better more hassle free method. I do agree about VoodooShield though. It is a bit too talkative for me too and for that reason it is currently on my subs bench. For the average Joe, who seems to be despised so much by some people here, in fact, for any Joe, KFA with OSA is a much better proposition than with CFW.

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Simply not true. I was using CFW up until three years ago. I do agree about VoodooShield though. It is a bit too talkative for me too and for that reason it is currently on my subs bench. For the average Joe, who seems to be despised so much by some people here, in fact, for any Joe, KFA with OSA is a much better proposition than with CFW.
Agree, sad thing is just that average joe wont find out about OSA. They dont care

Advanced joe would do research

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
KFA don't have "Application Control"... So, Does CF have any similar feature?.

KFA+CF is one of the tightest setups you could use. CF has many features, in fact you can run CF alone with CS's settings and you'd be just as secure as using KIS maybe more so because of Comodo's sandbox, enable CF's HIPS and there you have your app control. Like CS said above I dare you to get infected whilst running KFA+CF with CS'S CF settings. I really like Kaspersky products and run KIS on one of my systems, but when it comes down to it CF with CS's settings alone is as strong if not stronger than KIS. To be honest if you're a safe user with common sense you could easily get away with just using either KFA alone or CF alone. But, to answer your question again, yes, Comodo has 'Application control' HIPS.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I use kaspersky free+osarmor. Is very effective and lite to my system. . I thing is one very good choice
For most people I think this is the best option. Very good protection and you won't have any of the potential headaches I've already mentioned if you go down the Comodo Firewall route.

ps - anyone currently using KFA might want to consider Kaspersky Security Cloud Free instead. Same protection but configurable modules and a few more features. There are now several threads about it on MT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.