FIrefox
Maintenance tools
CCleaner

Khairul

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 3, 2015
I didnt make any backup, as my important files are link directly to the cloud. And its only consist of documents. Other than use this PC for work and download any attached using VM before download it directly to my machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonibalas

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
Is it virtual Machine meaning that we can install it in normal windows like i own here, and i can try any software in it without effecting my current windows?
Yes. It is completely virtualised. A machine inside a machine if you will. Thanks for sharing our config!! :)

Khairul

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 3, 2015
I would suggest some backup software such as Macrium Reflect Or Aomei Backupper before testing any malware samples found here. Or even Shadow Defender. ;)

Is it meaning even using VM it can cause trouble to my windows?

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
Already malware that identify you are running in a virtual machine, but in practice it is virtually zero infection 0.0001%

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Im an owner for a computer services and sales. And im looking forward to test some Malware or Viruses that i found, however, i cant understand the function of the Virtual Machine and as i Want to try the sandbox, I found the paid one and not the free one.

Is it virtual Machine meaning that we can install it in normal windows like i own here, and i can try any software in it without effecting my current windows?

WHats different between sand box and VM?

Sandbox (two types)

One will be partial sandbox where you assign a specific program to run under of isolated environment therefore behavior itself will applicable on that area only.

Full Sandbox host system where the whole system will be isolated at all cases therefore upon reboot everything were gone from changes made in full sandbox.

Meanwhile, Virtual Machine is a program where you isolate your hardware and install another OS without doing a dual boot, therefore you can test any software without problem.

Regarding to the accidents well if you mistaken to not isolate the program you wanted to test then its already compromise.

Dau-Bui

Level 1
Verified
Jan 22, 2015
Is it meaning even using VM it can cause trouble to my windows?
I think it is necessary to have a backup program in your computer even if you do not test malware. Even sandbox (eg. Sandboxie) could also be bypassed, you can find a topic about that in this forum. Though I have not heard about this with VM, but who knows.. anything could happen.:)

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
Me when tested managed to bypass the sandbox comodo for full virtualization.Nothing is one hundred percent.

Khairul

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 3, 2015
I think it is necessary to have a backup program in your computer even if you do not test malware. Even sandbox (eg. Sandboxie) could also be bypassed, you can find a topic about that in this forum. Though I have not heard about this with VM, but who knows.. anything could happen.:)

Me when tested managed to bypass the sandbox comodo for full virtualization.Nothing is one hundred percent.

Quite true, nothing is perfect right? I think i will assemble an old PC that im not going to use and install VM and also might addup with Deep Freeze, I think its much safer than the on im currently using.

Reactions: Davidov and Dau-Bui

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would suggest couple other On demand scanners such as Malwarebytes Antimalware,Emsisoft Emergency Kit,Hitman Pro and or Herd Protect.
I think with a couple of the above mentioned on demand scanners you could eliminate Spybot S & D.
For testing a Program before installing a virtual machine would be fine on your current machine.Sandboxie would also be an option.
I use a VM and Browse in Sanboxie.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I agree with the suggestions made by the members and i would like to suggest to install another browser Mozilla based like Cyberfox just to be sure in case you have a problem with Chrome.
Thanks for sharing your config.

Khairul

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 3, 2015
I changes my config recently with the new coming of windows 10. Well its not that im sure im a 100% safe, but based on my surfing behaviour, i do think that i already make anough backup on my own, and for me my PC didnt have anything important as everything already integrated online.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.