Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
What's best in terms of protection? I do not care about free or non free, just about the overall real world protection against viruses, spyware, exploits etc. What concerns me most is protection from infections coming from websites (drive by downloads, exploits etc) Waiting for your opinions based on experience of you or other people you know xD

Akash209

Verified
Feb 11, 2013
if you want a free av with all feature then go with CIS... If you want with some extra feature and a very strong av go with Kaspersky..!!!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Haven't gotten any personal experience with using either Kaspersky or Comodo.

I can only suggest to trial each for 20 to 30-days, and see how each performs on real-world testing from how you use and interact with the Internet, also monitor the impact each has on your PC performance.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I 've tried both of them for some time, but it was not enough so to see one of them handling infections coming to my PC by normal activity. That's why I ask for your advice. I 've heard Comodo antivirus is very good too. I believe kaspersky's exploit protection is better than CIS (or not?). One the other hand CIS 6 behaviour blocking features seems to do a very good job.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I vote KIS because I have been using it for a long time without an infection. I don't see the system performance issues that some see but my systems are able to handle it without slow down.

I have tried CIS 6 on Windows 8 and it is very good on default settings, it is very light and I had no bugs or other issues.

One costs money and one is free.You should try both and see what you think as has been said before.I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Everyone likes free unless your filthy rich like me :p

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
KIS 2013 would offer the best protection, it's AV engine is well known and it's a good Firewall along with it as well, the only issue with it is, resource hogging though if you have a comparatively new PC you won't really notice it. CIS on the other hand is also good, but requires a lot of tweaking to get out it's full potential.

In terms of detection, CIS lags behind Kaspersky.
In terms of protection of keeping a clean PC clean both will do a good job at keeping it clean, though if it's installation on a already infected pc then Kaspersky would have an upperhand.

KIS also has some good extra tools like Virtual Keyboard, etc which is a simple yet effective tool for banking.

As for CIS ver 6.0 is good on default setting as exterminator stated above, though personally i find ver 5 better.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Prevention: CIS > KIS
Detection: KIS > CIS
Lightness: CIS <<<<<<<<<<<< KIS
Features: CIS = KIS
Scan Speed: CIS > KIS
Zero Day: CIS > KIS

Comodo Internet Security v6 is the Best Solution in my opinion.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
manzai said:
Hello :)

KIS

Me, I am Avast User :D

Hello!
I had Avast installed for many years and I did not had infections (maybe one or two).. It is not the best in testing but it seems to do a good job in real world. I changed to other products when switched to win8 'cause of compatibility issues. Now it's ok with v.8 but I want to try other products. :)

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
F-Secure, i have not really used it so can't really comment on it, thought it has a simple GUI (Graphic User Interface) and it's also light on the system as per AV comparatives it received Advanced rating, though i can't say if it really is the case.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_per_201210_en.pdf

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
In my opinion both CIS and KIS have the same protection regarding preventing a virus to run and cause damage. You 'll find Kaspersky detecting more threats by signature and heuristics based scan. CIS is not that good doing this but when malware try to run on the pc (by you or automatically) proactive detection and CIMA are the cause of CIS being a very good product too. KIS is not as good as Comodo in this. Thanks to spywar comment on a post in the Virus Exchange section I end up to this conclusion. IF anyone disagrees I am pleased to know why :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.