Battle Kis 2013 vs Nis 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
I was quite amaze to see there is no A vs B on these two giant security product separately.
Kaspersky Internet Security 2013
Norton Internet Security 2013

So just for curiosity I made this thread/poll.

The Poll is not about which one is better but the poll is about which one you like on basis of its:

Performance
Protection
Ease of Use

Thanks

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Performance : NIS
Protection : KIS (HIPS + Application Control)
Ease of Use :KIS is simpler for me atleast ( For NIS, Norton 360 is more easy to use compared to NIS)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Kis for me.I have used it for a long time and has never failed me yet.

Haven't used Norton in a long,long time.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In the main thing course you must be observe from its performance on how it could be stable on the system so I choose NIS there.

For protection let's say NIS provide better download insight through cloud reputation service same goes to KIS but in overall they vary and complement components to protect other vectors so I'm favor for KIS.

Then for ease of use, let's say NIS is capable for install and forget.

havok

Verified
Mar 12, 2013
Considering ALL features, protection modules, components, customer service and support, utilities and tools I think Kis wins- not just vs Nis but vs all. I used it for 3 years on 2 PC and NEVER got problems.

If you want the best protection with lower use of resources probably Eset Smart Security 6 is top notch right now.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Both are excellent pieces of software, however I would opt to use Norton, as personal preference.

Kaspersky may get more votes in terms of protection, but Norton has less of a performance impact on my PC and that's what is more important.
(PS: Norton AV compared to Kaspersky AV).

My vote goes to Norton, although both are equally as good as each other.

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Earth said:
Both are excellent pieces of software, however I would opt to use Norton, as personal preference.

Kaspersky may get more votes in terms of protection, but Norton has less of a performance impact on my PC and that's what is more important.

Though i voted for Kaspersky as i find it better overall compared to Norton i would not install it on any System with 3GB or less RAM, i would rather go with Norton 360. Especially on notebooks, Norton will be a better choice "unless" you have a i7 system with 8-12 Gigs on RAM :p.

havok

Verified
Mar 12, 2013
mercurial said:
Earth said:

Though i voted for Kaspersky as i find it better overall compared to Norton i would not install it on any System with 3GB or less RAM, i would rather go with Norton 360. Especially on notebooks, Norton will be a better choice "unless" you have a i7 system with 8-12 Gigs on RAM :p.
Kaspersky is not that heavy at all man. In the last years I had been running Kis on an XP SP3 1 GB RAM with no problem at all and then on a Win7 x32 2 GB RAM again with no problem . If you get problem with KIS is because your hardware or software configuration, or not a clean system, not because of RAM. I can ensure you 2 Gb ram on x32 and 4 gb ram on x64 is MORE THAN ENOUGH. Perhaps you are confusing with Bitdefender...

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
you should not use an antivirus that wont protect you from fake-AV's, its my no.1 ule when comes to choosing an AV then detection rate.
Ive seen fake av's pass NIS protection...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Fake AV's are really one of the most easiest threats to be bypass in a matter of fresh 24 hours by release and even KIS and NIS will not detect it immediately but the behavior itself only.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I 've tested both with some packs of samples from the Virus exchange section of the forum. On scan, NIS detection rate is a lot lower than KIS. I do not know what happens when attempting to run them. It's a bit weird to me as both of them are good products..or not? Also Avast seems to have low detection rate also. Maybe the samples favor specific products; Are they so different in detection; Why that BIG difference; I am getting a bit suspicious about these samples...

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Nikos751 said:
I 've tested both with some packs of samples from the Virus exchange section of the forum. On scan, NIS detection rate is a lot lower than KIS. I do not know what happens when attempting to run them. It's a bit weird to me as both of them are good products..or not? Also Avast seems to have low detection rate also. Maybe the samples favor specific products; Are they so different in detection; Why that BIG difference; I am getting a bit suspicious about these samples...

About Nis:

You have to make smart update off so you will have more detection from Nis and Nis catch more infection while executing as it look towards prevention than detection

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Member said:
Nikos751 said:

About Nis:

You have to make smart update off so you will have more detection from Nis and Nis catch more infection while executing as it look towards prevention than detection
I 've done it with smart updates off so to have full set of definitions so it's not the case.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.