Battle Kis 2013 vs Nis 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
I was quite amaze to see there is no A vs B on these two giant security product separately.
Kaspersky Internet Security 2013
Norton Internet Security 2013

So just for curiosity I made this thread/poll.

The Poll is not about which one is better but the poll is about which one you like on basis of its:

Performance
Protection
Ease of Use

Thanks

D

Deleted member 178

Nikos751 said:
I 've tested both with some packs of samples from the Virus exchange section of the forum. On scan, NIS detection rate is a lot lower than KIS. I do not know what happens when attempting to run them. It's a bit weird to me as both of them are good products..or not? Also Avast seems to have low detection rate also. Maybe the samples favor specific products; Are they so different in detection; Why that BIG difference; I am getting a bit suspicious about these samples...

1- you have to learn how each product works
2- Avast is low for detecting at "reading" but very strong at "execution"
3- before being suspicious, learn how a product works, test it by yourself first instead of asking to others if it is good.

Shadowave

Level 10
Verified
Aug 10, 2012
I have used NIS for 8 months .... with problems... I had installed KIS 3 months I only had a small problem and was resolved immediately
Performance : NIS
Protection : KIS (HIPS)
Ease of Use: KIS

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
Nikos751 said:
I 've tested both with some packs of samples from the Virus exchange section of the forum. On scan, NIS detection rate is a lot lower than KIS. I do not know what happens when attempting to run them. It's a bit weird to me as both of them are good products..or not? Also Avast seems to have low detection rate also. Maybe the samples favor specific products; Are they so different in detection; Why that BIG difference; I am getting a bit suspicious about these samples...

1- you have to learn how each product works
2- Avast is low for detecting at "reading" but very strong at "execution"
3- before being suspicious, learn how a product works, test it by yourself first instead of asking to others if it is good.
1)This is what I am trying to do.
2)I know that, I am talking about pure signature/heur detection via scanning the files with those two programs I referred to.
3)I expressed my thoughts and asked you for your very appreciated opinions specifically about NIS as it is one of the products I 've little experience with. Was that so bad?
That particular comment has not to do with av products total protection abilities in general. It's obvious that products do not work the same way. In a few words my points were two:
a)NIS total protection abilities as the relatively weak file detection wasn't a sign to give me the best impression.
b)If the samples can favor specific products signature detection at times.
Sorry if there was any misunderstanding of my words.
Have a nice day :)

Syntax

Level 1
Feb 4, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
my main issue when i tested KIS was the "eternal-unable-to-complete" first database update.

This was the exact problem when I used KIS for the first time. I tried finding an offline update distribution but Kaspersky don't provide one. :dodgy:

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Nikos751 said:
3)I expressed my thoughts and asked you for your very appreciated opinions specifically about NIS as it is one of the products I 've little experience with. Was that so bad?

I don't think anybody can mind this and especially when its helping person like Umbra

You are right Nikos I am uninstalling Norton right now :p (kidding)

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Member said:
Nikos751 said:

I don't think anybody can mind this and especially when its helping person like Umbra

You are right Nikos I am uninstalling Norton right now :p (kidding)
hahaha.. I am new to the forum so if I 'm doing sth wrong I want to know it. That's all :p

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Member said:
Nikos751 said:
hahaha.. I am new to the forum so if I 'm doing sth wrong I want to know it. That's all :p

Nopes, you are doing quite well and I love to read your post

:goodpost:
Thank you for your compliment :D I try to be as active as possible when not have much work for University.

D

Deleted member 178

Nikos751 said:

good ^^

2)I know that, I am talking about pure signature/heur detection via scanning the files with those two programs I referred to.

if you want a fair comparison you must set both in max setting (High + PUP enabled in Avast, high heuristic and Smart definition off in NIS)

Not bad but you didn't do research about NIS detection

a)NIS total protection abilities as the relatively weak file detection wasn't a sign to give me the best impression.

because by default Smart Definition is turned on

Not the samples , the tester ^^ (if some tester want hype is loved solution, he will test samples that favor his AV and find the ones that bypassed the one he hates)

FYI, no malwares "favors" a product, at contrary they can be specialized at bypassing a product.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
Nikos751 said:

good ^^

if you want a fair comparison you must set both in max setting (High + PUP enabled in Avast, high heuristic and Smart definition off in NIS)

Not bad but you didn't do research about NIS detection

because by default Smart Definition is turned on

Not the samples , the tester ^^ (if some tester want hype is loved solution, he will test samples that favor his AV and find the ones that bypassed the one he hates)

FYI, no malwares "favors" a product, at contrary they can be specialized at bypassing a product.
I had smart definitions off, in this state I tested it's on demand detection.
About the samples, I assumed a senario that in a case one samples source is intended to provide malware that are better detected by a product/ specific products than by others. I don't know where do they come from, so I may be saying bul**it :s
(sorry for my English)

D

Deleted member 178

Anyway NIS recently took the "Prevention" road like Comodo, they focus more in how to stop the malware before it enter in your system.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
Anyway NIS recently took the "Prevention" road like Comodo, they focus more in how to stop the malware before it enter in your system.
Good news!! but it will take time to reach the prevention level of Comodo and Avast for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.