KIS 2016 vs NIS 2016 vs BIS 2016 vs Avast IS 2016 vs Trend Micro IS 2016

Wihat

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
I'm going to buy a new license of one of these product, so any suggest please?
I have used Bitdefender, Avast, Kaspersky ( about 3 years ago), I haven't used Norton and Trend Micro.

Reactions: Daniel Hidalgo

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Out of all these,and your prerequisites,I would go with Kaspersky!
PS:This is from personal experience,and other members may have varying opinions!!

Reactions: Kuttz and Wihat

Wihat

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Recently most of antivirus GUI are updated, it seems smooth, strong and some features added, so they make me confused to choose what to use. :(

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
i used Kaspersky for 42 days :D
untill now its great...
Bitdefender( i do't suggest u, because its toooo buggy)
TrendMicro(great av, a little weak in detection,a few Fps)
Norton(personaly do't suggest, but its goood protection)
Avast( buggy on my system)
i go with Kaspersky.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I like all of them but Trend Micro, it is weaker than Kaspersky, but my friend said it's good. I'll wait and consider the voting result. :)

Define weak.

Have you trialed all the AV? All of those you mentioned offered similar and equivalent protection. The only thing separates which one to buy is the preferences like UI, resource usage, ergonomics, etc; which in my view is strictly personal taste.

Reactions: Venustus

Wihat

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Sorry for my personal opinion.
The point I mention is weak in detection rate. About 2 years ago, 2 of my friends( A and B), A used Trend Micro IS ( the key he got from facebook fanpage), B used KAV, A shared files through USB, and... KAV found a Trojan. After that, i used avast rescue to scan and found some threats. That's it.
And another point, i had read a news about Trend Micro use old technology with their password manager( i'll find the source news again if you want)
I've used some antivirus engines as Panda, Avira, Avast, AVG, KIS, BIS, BTS, ESET, Ad-aware.
As you say, it's nearly base on your feeling.

Last edited:

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Out of those listed, Norton and Kaspersky offer the best well rounded protection. Norton, Bitdefender, and Kaspersky are light (and not buggy) on my system (can vary dramatically by system configuration in both software and hardware).

Out of them I recommend Norton Security (Norton Internet Security is now called Norton Security). They have started up anti-exploit protection which works fine, has aggressive stance on adware nowadays (including so called "legit" software (adware) like OpenCandy), great firewall - very configurable, intrusion protection (also includes browser in this setting) - also configurable, on disk signatures (for offline) - signatures in general are configurable (can turn off detection), and has file reputation (keep in mind Kaspersky also has this via KSN - Kaspersky Security Network).

Norton by default is on very good settings. If a file is detected (and quarantined) it will be easily recoverable (via popup). By default the box will be checked to add to exclusions to avoid detection in the future. Typically I like being asked first then I decided what happens but Norton has incorporated a convenient system that I'm ok with (very easy recovery/easy add to exclusions in one). Probably won't be using another security software on host for quite a while (I'm impressed by it). I set Norton to display whether it thinks a file is safe on download (reputation, etc), on execution (installers only it seems - keep that in mind) so I get two verification.

Typically security software is cheaper when you install it's trial. This is true for Avast I know for sure (buy via it's built in store). Think Norton does this as well (via popup offers which I do believe can be turned off - at least on paid version it can). Thinking Kaspersky might do this to via popup on startup. Out of the ones listed, Norton is cheapest on it's site (prices vary from country to country). The most expensive is Kaspersky (again prices vary). I'd recommend a trial run for a least a week before purchasing ANY security software to ensure stability on ones system (and to check for features that you personally want). And just to check if each will offer you a price cut during trial. I've done this when I was using Avast for 2 years (2012-2013 I believe).

I've used some antivirus engines as Panda, Avira, Avast, AVG, KIS, BIS, BTS, ESET, Ad-aware. Of course, none of them is perfect, but i can say, i like Avast most. :)

If you enjoy Avast the most, I should have a 1 year license file for Avast IS on my drive. Should have at least 10 months or so left. I doubt I'll use it. Got it via giveaway. Gave away my Avast AV Pro giveaway license few months ago. Worked fine for him. (To avoid confusion - it was not MT giveaway - one should not sign on for limited giveaways if you aren't going to use it). Just an offer to save you money (only ask you keep my email on file to yourself).

scoob95

Level 1
Verified
Feb 1, 2016
Norton ( specially at high boot time protection) is much better than Kaspersky because it is very light , best firewall ,great SONAR . Kaspersky is not as buggy as BIS but is one of the AV that uses maximum resources,KIS slows down other applications

Problem with TREND is no firewall and problem with AVAST is that it is horrible in anti phishing

Norton along with Emsisoft is the two most hassle free suites

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.