Known Problems with Most Common AV's

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackwilli

Level 3
Verified
Jan 1, 2019
It's free and there is still a download link for v6 on their website.
How is it? Should i go for it(free version of course) over F Secure safe?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Norton:

1) Often fails to completely remove a malware. It leaves 0 KB file of the malware in the directory.
2) Less important problem: Signature & Heuristics somehow collide sometimes. Often while detecting two files of same malware, one will be detected by signature while other by heuristic. If a malware is repairable without deleting the whole file, the one that is detected by signature is repaired but the one detected by heuristic will be deleted. Very few malware is repairable nowadays so it's not a huge deal.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
This has been ongoing for a very long time when trying to log into My Norton account:
NortonSecurity_f7TRbP7f2b.png

It's a known issue and ongoing bug!

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
At first I was just going to leave the topic as it is in the BD 2019 section, but something came up. After encountering an infected webpage earlier today and going to the notification center to investigate further, I found out that the ability to exclude a webpage through the notification center without requiring a password has returned. This had been fixed in 2019 version but made a comeback in 2020 version.

Password vulnerability

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I had to use Kaspersky Security Cloud to exclude websites by URL. I could not find this option in the Free Antivirus package.

Reactions: Nevi

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Avast seems unable to deal with a threat on the desktop.The file is malicious and reported by avast on VT,yet no reaction from avast in real time.
Only when I right click scan with avast does it detect the threat...Is this a known issue or the way avast works!?
VTHash_7rnMfbv2Nm.png

AvastUI_xb7E3wJ2rP.png

Attachments

• AvastUI_xb7E3wJ2rP.png
    AvastUI_xb7E3wJ2rP.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 314

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Avast seems unable to deal with a threat on the desktop.The file is malicious and reported by avast on VT,yet no reaction from avast in real time.
Only when I right click scan with avast does it detect the threat...Is this a known issue or the way avast works!?
View attachment 217520

View attachment 217521
which is extension of the file? Avast by default only scans certain extensions in realtime protection, if there is no extension or the extension is not in the list, it will be ignored
On-demand scanner supports all extensions + heuristic level is set to High by default
you can enable avast to support all extension on realtime protection

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
which is extension of the file? Avast by default only scans certain extensions in realtime protection, if there is no extension or the extension is not in the list, it will be ignored
On-demand scanner supports all extensions + heuristic level is set to High by default
you can enable avast to support all extension on realtime protection
Thanks!!:)
It's a .js extention.
Okay so I will change the settings you recommend.
Overall avast seems to be very good..What are your thoughts?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks!!:)
It's a .js extention.
Okay so I will change the settings you recommend.
Overall avast seems to be very good..What are your thoughts?
I think avast is very good only with proper combination. In my test, I only combine hardened mode aggressive + syshardener exclusively, they will stop almost all malwares in the hub except for some malwares which has the extensions of .com, .bat, .cmd, .ps1
Signatures, cloud and BB are supportive. HM and SH are the main players
for this reason, I disable as many avast's components as possible to make it lighter

.bat, cmd: because we can't disable command prompt. It's crucial to windows => Chineserarypt-like malwares can infect my combo, in theory. However, you can dissociate them and only run cmd script by manual typing
.ps1: we can disable it because not many people use powershell
.com: you can dissociate it so it can't be executed

Roadjet

Jul 28, 2019
For all 3rd party AVs except ESET. Stupid leftovers after uninstall that are not removed and keep running in background and uninstall can break components. For example KAV remover can break system restore.
It's always a problem, I use Revo Uninstaller to scrub system, seems to do good job even removing register keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.