"KRACK" and Router Software

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 65219
  • Start date

Which Router Manufacturer Give Best Software Support to Their Products?

• Asus

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Cisco

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • D-Link

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Huawei

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Linksys

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Netgear

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • TP-Link

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
F

ForgottenSeer 65219

Thread author
After "Krack" Breakthrough, I'm Focused on Software Patch Like any other people.
On Router Firmware Side I see Still many Manufacturer Keep routers Unpatched ( Firmware Update ).
Even I Check Some High-End Models from Asus, Netgear, Tp-Link etc and Doesn't See Much Support for this issue.
I hear Before somewhere that other than Hardware Spec of Router, Software Capacities like Control, Monitoring and Other main or extra features Makes Real Difference.
So My Question is:

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
My TP-LINK router wasn't updated from 2015, I now use dd-wrt with good and bad consequences, but I like it. :)

Index of /dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/

And I read their forum and the svn for changelogs to see what happen, is useful also for learn many things about routers.

I use this router with two Android app Termius SSH, to login inside it, only with RSA KEY, and dd-wrt companion to do many things. I still have to learn the full potential of this, because there are really many things to learn.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I have one Netgear DGN2200, nothing professional, not supported by dd-wrt, I use another custom firmware. The full list of models in the case of dd-wrt is for example here: Index of /dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/11-04-2017-r33679/
But need to read before doing anything, "sometime" problems difficult to troubleshoot, but much gain.

I use the Netgear as modem, and the TP-LINK as router, I will not change until a major protocol in 802.xx will be released.

My opinion.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I am a Netgear user and I think they were fast enough by communicating their awareness about the problem and by sharing the list of the affected devices.
But my router model is not in the list so I don't know if, currently, a patched firmware is available for those devices.
Generally I get firmware updates quite frequently.

Security Advisory for WPA-2 Vulnerabilities, PSV-2017-2826, PSV-2017-2836, PSV-2017-2837 | Answer | NETGEAR Support
Mine is still unpatched from Netgear. R6220 is still unpatched maybe because its old and I just bought it now. Contacted Netgear and they said they'll issue a patch.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Asus makes some great routers and all of my Asus routers have been updated. Netgear and TP-Link tend to issue out a lot of firmware updates too. Asus has a not of great features, but their support is also good for the products that they release. I have never had any issues with the manufactures that I listed off.

Glad to hear others are having similar experiences!

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
After "Krack" Breakthrough, I'm Focused on Software Patch Like any other people.
On Router Firmware Side I see Still many Manufacturer Keep routers Unpatched ( Firmware Update ).
Even I Check Some High-End Models from Asus, Netgear, Tp-Link etc and Doesn't See Much Support for this issue.
I hear Before somewhere that other than Hardware Spec of Router, Software Capacities like Control, Monitoring and Other main or extra features Makes Real Difference.
So My Question is:

Fortinet.. Their WIDS/RAP system blocked KRACK on day one. They patched their 5.6X series 1 month before the public disclosure and patched everything else a week later.

F

ForgottenSeer 65219

Thread author
I mention "KRACK" Issue as an Example for Software Support.
This Thread is not about "KRACK".
And not ultimately about security Part but features too.
As I said :
"Which Router Manufacturer Give Best Software Support to Their Products?"
I hope it clarifies my objective.

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
As I interpret the statement issued by Netgear, KRACK appears to be a "client" vulnerability. This is a handshake vulnerability. Your router is likely only vulnerable if it handshakes with another router. So if your router is used as a normal wireless router, your fix probably lies within security patches for your client OS and/or your network adapter. So I give Netgear +1 for publishing this support info!

Netgear vulnerable devices:
Security Advisory for WPA-2 Vulnerabilities, PSV-2017-2826, PSV-2017-2836, PSV-2017-2837 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

NETGEAR is aware of WPA-2 security vulnerabilities that affect NETGEAR products that connect to WiFi networks as clients. These vulnerabilities are potentially exploitable under the following conditions:

• Your devices are only vulnerable if an attacker is in physical proximity to and within wireless range of your network.
  • Routers and gateways are only affected when in bridge mode (which is not enabled by default and not used by most customers). A WPA-2 handshake is initiated by a router in bridge mode only when connecting or reconnecting to a router.
  • Extenders, Arlo cameras, and satellites are affected during a WPA-2 handshake that is initiated only when connecting or reconnecting to a router.
  • Mobile hotspots are only affected while using WiFi data offloading, which is not enabled by default.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasudev

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
As I interpret the statement issued by Netgear, KRACK appears to be a "client" vulnerability. This is a handshake vulnerability. Your router is likely only vulnerable if it handshakes with another router. So if your router is used as a normal wireless router, your fix probably lies within security patches for your client OS and/or your network adapter. So I give Netgear +1 for publishing this support info!

Netgear vulnerable devices:
I have older android phones that works in mint condition which isn't updated anymore. So, a firmware fix is likely needed for clients w/o any updates.

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
I have older android phones that works in mint condition which isn't updated anymore. So, a firmware fix is likely needed for clients w/o any updates.

A firmware fix for your router is not likely to improve your client's vulnerability status. The fix apparently has to be done in the client, as that is where the vulnerability occurs during the WPA-2 handshake.

Fixing the router firmware only corrects it as far as the router is vulnerable as a client, when it does a WPA-2 handshake with another router.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
A firmware fix for your router is not likely to improve your client's vulnerability status. The fix apparently has to be done in the client, as that is where the vulnerability occurs during the WPA-2 handshake.

Fixing the router firmware only corrects it as far as the router is vulnerable as a client, when it does a WPA-2 handshake with another router.
I know that already. I was saying older devices aren't serviced with SW updates so the router needs a firmware fix in a way that mitigates the issue or prevent the exploit on older device/clients.

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
I know that already. I was saying older devices aren't serviced with SW updates so the router needs a firmware fix in a way that mitigates the issue or prevent the exploit on older device/clients.

I was trying to say that a router fix won't mitigate a client side vulnerability in an older client. The client will still see and respond to the WPA-2 handshake trick no matter what the router is or isn't doing.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I was trying to say that a router fix won't mitigate a client side vulnerability in an older client. The client will still see and respond to the WPA-2 handshake trick no matter what the router is or isn't doing.
Then why did some routers got the fix and some didn't even when only client are affected.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.