Advice Request KTS 2017 is there any benifit of using AppGuard?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nice achievement unlocked: "made you look" @Lockdown :D

Did not noticed that a Dev. from AppGuard is here. I do not want to sound rude and disrespectful but what link is the official one - Looking in German Google can not find anything about AppGuard just get that Andoird AV Scanner stuff???

I do not want to judge an application that I did not test yet :D But it makes me curious on how this functions the other point is cost effectiveness. As much as I know this application costs like 30 isch $ a year?! So the protection has to offer something worth the investment and trust... ;)

Sincerely
Val.

P.s. Software Restriction Policies, AppLocker Policies and embedded solutions on security software are different but primarily they should prevent things from happening all in a different way but still with the same goal. Do not execute if not allowed!

-- A little read on SRP and AppLocker: AppLocker: Frequently Asked Questions

on second note all Security Software out there have a learning curve even AppGuard :p

But to come back on topic my reason of being so harsh is investment and what do i get for it... ;)

Not all users will agree upon what is best security or what represents best value.

All users should discover what works best for them on their specific system(s).

Here is an extensive review by, I think, one of your fellow countrymen: AppGuard | IT Security Matters

The official AppGuard webpage: www.appguard.us

The official AppGuard purchase webpage: Blue Ridge Networks Store

There is no trial. The GUI is English-only.

A consumer version of AppGuard is made available to the public for those that wish to use it.

AppGuard works like any other SRP - if it is not allowed, it is blocked.

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
Hmmm... a blogger is not a trustworthy source?!

and just found out that AppGuard has/had an issue with Office type Macro scripts. Is that issue still present?

Looking for sources not something like pcmag and so on... Something with substance...

Coz 0-Day protection I can get that for free with EMET and on FallUpdate of Win10 this will be hard-coded to Windows anyway. (Plus additional features)

I know ill start a discussion about Security Software but for that, this community has the WAR-Room just love it. :D

The deal is no trial no real offer on support...

aAPPG.png

That point via the Support page got me thinking is it wise to implement something like that?

Best regards
Val.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I understand that AppGuard functions best on a static system, meaning, you don't do a lot of installing and uninstalling.
If you have a dynamic system, a different app might be better for your needs.

Reactions: valvaris

Hmmm... a blogger is not a trustworthy source?!

and just found out that AppGuard has/had an issue with Office type Macro scripts. Is that issue still present?

Looking for sources not something like pcmag and so on... Something with substance...

Coz 0-Day protection I can get that for free with EMET and on FallUpdate of Win10 this will be hard-coded to Windows anyway. (Plus additional features)

I know ill start a discussion about Security Software but for that, this community has the WAR-Room just love it. :D

The deal is no trial no real offer on support...

View attachment 159476

That point via the Support page got me thinking is it wise to implement something like that?

Best regards
Val.

That "blogger" (Klaus Jochem) is a well-respected security expert within the IT security industry.

AppGuard is not an anti-exploit, it is SRP. SRP protects the post-exploit environment.

I don't participate in the WAR-room.

Support is email-based only.

AppGuard is not offered on the same basis as other consumer security softs to which most home users are accustomed. It is an enterprise-grade security soft that is made available to the general public for those that wish to use it. AppGuard consumer is marketed and sold primarily through large-block corporate contracts.

Reactions: XhenEd

I understand that AppGuard functions best on a static system, meaning, you don't do a lot of installing and uninstalling.
If you have a dynamic system, a different app might be better for your needs.

It works on both static and dynamic systems. However, most people that use it tend to keep their system static as they know a static system is more safe than a dynamic one. So, it is a matter of choice.

For those that do frequent installs, they tend to follow AppGuard's recommendation to combine AppGuard with both an antivirus and firewall. And they don't find AppGuard to be any hindrance or inconvenience. @XhenEd, for example, is one that adheres to this advice.

SRP is highly adaptable. That is one of its primary strengths.

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
Hmmm... just to stay on topic for OP - If you have KIS no need for AppGuard.

There are very nice guides here on how to enforce nice policies in KIS and are explained very good. :D

When you need help setting it up ppl here are glad to help. ;)

Thanks @Lockdown for the information about AppGuard even tho i dont get the reason why a Enterprise company needs this if AppLocker Windows 7 Ent.+ is easily setup and is for free. (No need to Deploy software and centralized Logging)

Sincerely
Val.

Hmmm... just to stay on topic for OP - If you have KIS no need for AppGuard.

There are very nice guides here on how to enforce nice policies in KIS and are explained very good. :D

When you need help setting it up ppl here are glad to help. ;)

Thanks @Lockdown for the information about AppGuard even tho i dont get the reason why a Enterprise company needs this if AppLocker Windows 7 Ent.+ is easily setup and is for free. (No need to Deploy software and centralized Logging)

Sincerely
Val.

AppGuard offers protections beyond what AppLocker provides.

Also, not all enterprises want to pay Microsoft for volume licensing - which now, with new Microsoft policies, will become even more expensive. So there are enterprises that do not have AppLocker nor Group Policy.

AppGuard Enterprise is a managed service and there are enterprises out there that want just that. There is demand in the market for the product and the service - and we provide it.

As far as AppGuard consumer, the company has never actively pursued the consumer market. That might change in the future, but at this moment the consumer version is available to the general public via the appguard.us website for those that know it works and want to use it on their system(s).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: shukla44 and XhenEd

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
cmon @Lockdown - As soon as you have a Windows Server 2012 R2 Lic. you have AD and therefor GPO... pfff... now this is just a farce for you having the last word on the topic.

To be clear if you have a Windows Server Infra. then you have that off the bat SRP, GPO, AD

Here is a little reader on that: Download Windows Server 2012 R2 Products and Editions Comparison from Official Microsoft Download Center

Now to claim more protection then buiild in tools I need some facts in the Enterprise part: EMET, Applocker, SRP, GPO and of course AD

What can your product do that all of this can not? Have to add all of that costs me nothing just a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Lic. and a free download.

Sincerely
Val.

Glashouse

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 4, 2017
Thanks @all for your explanations and @Lockdown you are absolutly right I should have started with the basic protection but I like to play and that is why I installed AppGuard on one of my spare machines to test it and wonted to deep dive into the configuration.

As you said:
You can lock down the system with 98 % less configuration effort.

I tried to go for it... unfortunately the AppGuard Website is currently a mess with lots of links not working incl. downloading the manual so I did some "black box testing" :) and was not able to get even close to the 98%

I tried to go for it... unfortunately the AppGuard Website is currently a mess with lots of links not working incl. downloading the manual so I did some "black box testing" :) and was not able to get even close to the 98%

Well, I apologize for the state of website. It is a work in progress since the new merger.

Once you learn the product you will see that it requires a lot less effort to configure and use. I will send you a PM later.

Reactions: shukla44

Glashouse

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 4, 2017
Well, I apologize for the state of website. It is a work in progress since the new merger.

You don't have to apologize for this, I know that this happens when you change stuff, sometimes things break. But at the end this makes it hard for people to have a smooth start with your software even if they know what they want to archive...

Reactions: shukla44
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.