Laptop Explodes Like A Bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
For your safety please check this article out. That is something to be aware of. Never use a third party battery & never use a fully charged battery with the Laptop still plugged in.

MIDDLETOWN TOWNSHIP, Pa. (CBS) — Fire officials in Bucks County are investigating what caused a laptop computer to explode, injuring the woman who was using it inside her Langhorne Manor home.

“It blew up. It flipped my computer back and the battery pack and all came out this way,” Loretta Luff recalled, “The next thing I knew, my shirt was on fire, I grabbed that and took that off and I think that’s when I singed my hair.”

Even with her singed hair, burned face, arm and foot, Luff considers herself lucky. She says she is grateful she and her disabled husband escaped worse injuries when her Dell laptop exploded Sunday afternoon.

Langhorne-Middletown Fire Company Chief Frank Farry has been fighting fires for 25 years and says he’s never seen anything like it. Farry says the evidence has been collected, but it appears the battery pack inside the computer went off like a bomb, sending debris six to eight feet away.

“The battery pack was on the floor. It was in pieces,” he says. “And then there were various plastic parts that landed in different areas within her living room.”

Luff extinguished the fire by dumping water on the computer. Doctors told the 72-year-old, her burns are chemical related. She continues to recover from her injuries.

Fire experts say fires involving lithium-ion batteries in laptops are rare, but can happen. They say problems can occur when a laptop is being used with a fully charged battery while it’s plugged in.

Dell’s spokesperson released a statement: “Dell places the highest priority on the evaluation and investigation of all safety and potential safety issues for the products that we and our suppliers produce. When Dell becomes aware of an incident, we handle it with the goals of assuring customer safety and a thorough failure analysis. Dell will take appropriate steps to investigate this incident. It’s also important to note that, in our product documentation, Dell tells customers that “using an incompatible battery or a third-party battery may increase the risk of fire or explosion and that they should replace the battery only with a battery purchased from Dell that is designed to work with their Dell computer.”

Luff says she did replace the battery about three years ago. She is not sure if the replacement is from Dell. She says she is not opposed to getting another laptop but she will not be testing her luck again.

“I would take the battery out every night because whoever thought this would happen once? I would never take the chance of happening a second time because I was lucky this time,” Luff said.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I've kept my laptop fully charged and plugged in for as long as I could (Since 2011) It never blew up like this. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: XhenEd and Cowpipe

marg

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
I've kept my laptop fully charged for as long as I could (Since 2011) It never blew up like this. :eek:
She might have been using a third party battery or using a fully charged battery with the laptop still plugged in.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Lithium Ion batteries are prone to exploding if they are overheated or cheaply made. The most likely cause in this case was not that the lady had her laptop constantly plugged in but more than likely a manufacturing defect with the battery itself. Cheaply made electrical components from factories in China can be very prone to this, as the factories save costs by using electrical components with a lower tolerance to such faults.

The best advice is always purchase your batteries from the manufacturers recommended brand, unless you have the necessary knowledge to decide otherwise.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
anyway if you want to extend the life of the battery , you have to plug it out between 80-90% charge.

Exactly, keeping a battery at full capacity all the time will not do it any good and will shorten it's life. The same as charging a battery up when it's not fully drained (only half drained for example) will shorten the life of the battery too (known popularly as the memory effect) ;)

Reactions: Malware1
D

Deleted member 178

yes, the proper ratio is to start recharging at 10-20% (i heard at 40% but i doubt) and stop at 80-90%

Reactions: Cowpipe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
yes, the proper ratio is to start recharging at 10-20% (i heard at 40% but i doubt) and stop at 80-90%

Sorry, no idea what I'm talking about lol. It's lithium Ion isn't it, LI batteries don't need full discharge as there is no memory effect, I was thinking of NiCad. It's perfectly fine to have the battery charged up all the time on your laptop, just ensure it's well ventilated so as it doesn't overheat (which can shorten it's life)

Reactions: Malware1

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
The advice i got from HP Customer support after my battery was gone exactly after 1 year of the purchase is that we must always use our PC after completely Charged, and do not plug in between your usage, after the battery is drained , again sleep or shut down ur PC and Plug again.

D

Deleted member 178

in fact you can see the battery's wear with tools like HWinfo32/64

never let your battery goes to 0% , it happened to me long ago , and then my battery was lost.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Wow, My (somewhat) local news made it here O_O
Anyhow, I was in a shock to hear this, When I used my laptop as my main computer, I never left it unplugged with the battery and I was using it for 4 years. Could have been manufacturing defect or aftermarket.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Wow, My (somewhat) local news made it here O_O
Anyhow, I was in a shock to hear this, When I used my laptop as my main computer, I never left it unplugged with the battery and I was using it for 4 years. Could have been manufacturing defect or aftermarket.

Almost certainly the case ;)

Discharging and charging the battery a few times a month will prolong the "useful life" of the battery but not doing so certainly wouldn't lead to it exploding. Buy genuine, manufacturer guaranteed batteries only and unless you actually know what IEC 60950-1 means, don't take it to mean "Oh this battery is $9.99, $30 cheaper than the others but it conforms to IEC 60950-1 so it must be safe!", otherwise you might end up in trouble

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Never use cheap batteries, one of my friends used a cheap battery in his cell phone and it also explored in his paints pocket.
He had severe burns on his leg and his paints caught on fire in public, all he could do was take off his paints.

I'm sure after the investigation is over, if the battery manufacture is to blame there will be a huge settlement.

Enjoy!! :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What if you need the mains power for gaming, but battery cannot be removed? What's suggested?

D

Deleted member 178

just plug it when you reach 20% ; anyway Windows will tell you.

D

Deleted member 178

the explanation is not very clear, but seems it is supposed to avoid battery failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.