Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Laptop has packet loss during gaming
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
updating network card, checking router firmware updates
Hi guys! As the title states, when I'm on any game and on discord at the same time, I can see my ping go to above 200 on discord, and my game will experience packet loss issues (rubber banding lag where I walk to a certain location in game and get teleported back to my original position). It does not only specifically happen for 1 game, it does not really matter if discord is on or not.

A work around was to turn on a VPN, which somehow fixes it?

I recently got a new router (ASUS RT-AX55) which might be causing the issues although I haven't been able to identify the cause. I've changed the DNS of the router to cloudflare's and disabled all the junk that ASUS provides (antivirus scanning and what not). The issue still persists and the only way that I've found a workaround is by using a VPN which is not really optimal.
No issues when using discord or Zoom only.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Hi guys! As the title states, when I'm on any game and on discord at the same time, I can see my ping go to above 200 on discord, and my game will experience packet loss issues (rubber banding lag where I walk to a certain location in game and get teleported back to my original position). It does not only specifically happen for 1 game, it does not really matter if discord is on or not.

A work around was to turn on a VPN, which somehow fixes it?

I recently got a new router (ASUS RT-AX55) which might be causing the issues although I haven't been able to identify the cause. I've changed the DNS of the router to cloudflare's and disabled all the junk that ASUS provides (antivirus scanning and what not). The issue still persists and the only way that I've found a workaround is by using a VPN which is not really optimal.
No issues when using discord or Zoom only.
What's your MTU size? Adjust your MTU size as suggested by your ISP in your Asus router. For a PPPoE network the MTU is 1482 (most of the time). Also try to enable or disable jumbo frame ( in settings....I don't know if Asus have a setting for that) and see whether the issue is resolved or not.
Checking optimal MTU size on windows

Last edited:
Reactions: brambedkar59
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.