Thread author
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
NA
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
NA
I have 2 laptops-

Lenovo V570
HP Pavilion DV4T-1400

Lenovo V570 - Its not booting up. I tried Lenovo Bootable Diagnostic USB Tool. And ran all the scans. It showed FAN not available (it seems FAN is working fine as I can feel the air from the side & the laptop is not heating too) & bad sectors in HDD.
I am thinking of replacing the HDD with HP laptop HDD to see if Lenovo boots fine. Can I do this & any harm to HP HDD or the data on HDD doing this?
I dont know much about hardware. Can anyone tell me if both the laptop has same type HDD & the replacement can be tried?

Sana

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
Could you try with Auslogics Disk Defrag Portable as well? Its readings are pretty accurate.

Every HDD diagnostics application that generates a verdict on an HDD's "health", relies on multiple statistical measurements, relative to certain "thresholds" (minimum/maximum allowed values, etc) which are set, of course, by the developers.
While it can be assumed that there are generally acceptable thresholds for every kind of reading, those thresholds may vary from application to application due to the way it was designed or internally configured by its developers.
As a result, while an application may report your disk as "being at full health", an other might suggest otherwise.
Not to mention a reasonable margin of error to which such applications are subject, which may or may not affect the end result of the applications' verdict.

The most reasonable way to determine a storage drive's health is to analyse it with as many reputable HDD/SSD diagnostics applications, and use use an average score, derived by considering every application's score.

The program (Auslogics Disk Defrag) shows it's healthy.

It's got some nice GUI and other nice products on the site :)

Reactions: DracusNarcrym
Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014

If you've enabled SMART disk reporting in BIOS the readings are precise. It happened to me, when I accidentally disabled SMART in BIOS and was getting weird readings after that in HD Sentinel and Defraggler, a sudden drop in health from 100-90%.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.