Question Laptop hidden hacker connection?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Oblivion99

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 6, 2023
Dear all

I have a laptop which I use as an offline backup platform

The laptop has Bluetooth and a Network card

I have deactivated both in Device Manager and in Windows settings

I have questions regarding whether a hacker could get access to my data without my knowledge

Can a hacker somehow use the laptops Network card?
While also:
Windows has no wifi connection
Wifi is off in Windows settings
Network card is deactivated in Device Manager
No activity in Resource Monitor Network
-
If yes:
What would it require?
To modify the hardware or some kind of malware?
Does this kind of malware exist, or would it be hard to create?

Can a hacker somehow use the laptops Bluetooth?
While also:
Windows has no Bluetooth connection
Bluetooth is off in Windows settings
Bluetooth is deactivated in Device Manager
-
If yes:
What would it require?

What other types of hardware could be installed inside my laptop to give hidden access to my data? (Given that there is room, slots etc.)
An extra Network card / wifi adapter?
An extra Bluetooth adapter?
Cellular adapter?
What else?

If the extra installed hardware in 3. would work while also stay hidden in / not appear in:
Windows Settings
Device Manager
Bios
What other areas?
-
What would it require?

Thank you
Best regards

• Hundred Points
Reactions: vtqhtr413 and Nevi

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
How are you using it for backup, via router ethernet or USB transfer? It sounds like you're locked down, I don't see how anything could connect inbound or outbound.
If you want to be extra sure, and you are okay with dismantling your notebook, you could remove the wireless card.

From your Smartphone or another device, search for Bluetooth devices and see if the laptop shows up, just to confirm it.

Others here who are shaper than I am regarding this type of thing may have some insights for you :)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I have questions regarding whether a hacker could get access to my data without my knowledge
That depends on, who you are? The threat assessment. If someone wants to hack you, he will, it is not the matter of IF, but WHEN.
PC can be access remotely even without internet connection (EMF), but that technology is expensive, so it depends, if you are worth it.
I have a laptop which I use as an offline backup platform
Generally speaking you have a solid backup safe from random hackers.

Oblivion99

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 6, 2023
A software tool / malware that use the laptops Network card?
While also:

Or

That use the laptops Bluetooth?
While also:

Does this kind of software tool / malware exist?
Is it possible to create?
What level of skill does it require, something like NSA?

Thank you

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

A software tool / malware that use the laptops Network card?
While also:

Or

That use the laptops Bluetooth?
While also:

Does this kind of software tool / malware exist?
Is it possible to create?
What level of skill does it require, something like NSA?

Thank you
I'm not sure why your asking to this level, but malware is not going to jump off your system, hitchhike to it's creators house and drop information and hitchhike back and sneak into your completely offline system.

To be transmitted "and this goes for anything" it will need connection of some sort, if all is disabled, it can not achieve that.

If you are that concerned, I would suggest backing up on external drives, and place in a safe, place that safe in a safe, and then bolt that one to the floor.

Sorry for sarcasm but those of us that take security seriously are not in the habit of helping others create felonies and or in the habit of condoning mental health issues if either apply.

Stay safe not paranoid as another known user stated here.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
@Oblivion99 along with this thread and what's been posted on your other thread, it may be time to let it go. As the wise old sage Jimmy Buffett once said (sang), "Breathe in, breathe out, and move on". :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi and vtqhtr413

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Web search : "airgap device hacked".

For peace of mind, you may want to physically disconnect (cutting) the cables to prevent any Network activity. Proceed at your own risk.

If privacy and security are paramount, don't use Windows. Have a look at Purism– Librem 14

What's stored on your backups that so important that you don't want to Feds getting their hands on it?

Oblivion99

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 6, 2023
I'm not sure why your asking to this level, but malware is not going to jump off your system, hitchhike to it's creators house and drop information and hitchhike back and sneak into your completely offline system.

To be transmitted "and this goes for anything" it will need connection of some sort, if all is disabled, it can not achieve that.

If you are that concerned, I would suggest backing up on external drives, and place in a safe, place that safe in a safe, and then bolt that one to the floor.

Sorry for sarcasm but those of us that take security seriously are not in the habit of helping others create felonies and or in the habit of condoning mental health issues if either apply.

Stay safe not paranoid as another known user stated here.
It is purely theoretical.
That if a person got access to my laptop, and infected it with the above mentioned software tool / malware
And then used the deactivated connections to destroy / corrupt my data
I have no idea of how to code or create malware
I would just like to know if the above is impossible or not

• Applause
  • +Reputation
Reactions: Nevi and vtqhtr413

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
This TS is so alike the other one with the silly questions.... i think he is just bashing his own topic with non sense questions. But if you want to keep entertaining him, pls go ahead.

• Applause
Reactions: Jonny Quest
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Web search : "airgap device hacked".

For peace of mind, you may want to physically disconnect (cutting) the cables to prevent any Network activity. Proceed at your own risk.

If privacy and security are paramount, don't use Windows. Have a look at Purism– Librem 14

What's stored on your backups that so important that you don't want to Feds getting their hands on it?
I'm quite aware of this but was not going to pour fuel in this.

Reactions: roger_m

Oblivion99

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 6, 2023
For people like me, that are quite unknown to all this, it can be difficult to understand what is possible and what is not

For people on this forum, that are really knowledgeable about all this, it seems easy for you to understand what is possible and what is not - and for you my questions may seem stupid or silly

I thank you all for your inputs

Reactions: CyberTech

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.