Troubleshoot Laptop Optical Wireless Mouse Highlight/Copy Problem

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Laptop Optical Wireless Mouse - Fairly New

No probs But Highlight/Copy probs i.e most of the time when I try to copy/highlight, either half of the sentence gets copied or text gets messed up & I have to do undo, etc...

Any info/suggestion?

Tabeer

Level 3
Verified
Dec 3, 2015
If you are using Word 2007 then try to click on Windows orb in the top corner and choose Word options at the bottom next to the exit button. Click on Advanced then uncheck "When selecting, automatically select entire word."
OR
Click the down-arrow on the Paste Options button and you’ll see a menu with icons that lets you format copied text in different ways. The options you’ll see depend on where you’re cutting and pasting from and to, e.g., from within or between documents. Roll your mouse over the icons and you can see how your pasted text will look before you click.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I meant general copy/highlight, not software specific.

Sometimes works fine & sometimes not.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
This sounds like it could be a hardware issue. I posted some questions so you can help clarify your situation, but the reason this happens could be because (in order from most likely to least likely):

If you're on a laptop, input from both the external mouse and internal touchpad can interfere with each other. If there are mulitple pointing devices connected, it also can cause strange behavior. Windows wasn't designed to accept competing input from two mouse pointing devices at the same time and be able to deal with each separately. So if something is accidentally bumping the touchpad or something else while you're trying to do something with the mouse, it might cause things like you describe to occur.

The USB port you're using could be faulty. This isn't an unheard of situation. Perhaps the USB root hub isn't working correctly because it's misconfigured. Checking the Device Manager can help you determine if this is a problem or not. Or, there could be a physical problem with the port itself. Since they get a ton of use, especially with devices like this, wear can occur and there might be a broken solder connection, or bent pin, that isn't connecting reliably and interrupting USB communication with the device.

Or, you could be having conflicts with other USB devices on your machine. This doesn't tend to be the issue these days, as operating systems these days are very good at managing USB devices. However, there's always potential for a rare case to happen that causes issues. Again, the Device Manager can report if there are any resource conflicts.

Related problem

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.