Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

BBC News said:
A laptop running both Windows 8 and Android; a 6in (15.2cm) smartphone; and a hybrid mouse-touchpad are some of the devices to have been unveiled ahead of the start of Computex.

The tech show in Taipei, Taiwan runs from Tuesday to Saturday.

Other launches included the first PCs to feature Intel's new processor, codenamed Haswell.

The event comes a week after researchers suggested PC sales were declining faster than had been thought.

IDC predicted that shipments of personal computers - including both desktops and laptops - would fall by 7.8% over the course of 2013. The firm had previously forecast a 1.3% decline.

It added that it believed tablet shipments would grow by 58.7% over the same period, putting them on course to overtake PCs by 2015.

Continue reading the main story
Foxconn and Firefox

Taiwanese firm Hon Hai revealed it is to develop five devices powered by Mozilla's new Firefox mobile operating system.

Hon Hai is perhaps best know for making Apple devices at its Foxconn factories in China. However, analysts have suggested the firm could be responsible for assembling as much as 40% of the world's consumer electronics.

Hon Hai said its Firefox line-up would include smartphones and televisions. It added that they would be released under others' brands, rather than its own.

The news offers a boost to Mozilla's HTML5-based OS which it is pitching as an "open alternative" to Android for low-end handsets.

The move also allows Hon Hai to diversify its operations. That may reassure investors following a Wall Street Journal report last week which said Apple was increasingly sending orders to another Taiwanese firm, Pegatron.

WSJ report
That trend poses a potential problem for manufacturers since margins on tablets are often thinner than they have been accustomed to with PCs.
Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22751326

Last edited:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Personally, I don't know if I would use both, reason being is that you get malware while you're on Windows, but now you're going to get double the amount because Android is there. So at the moment I would just stick to Windows.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The problem for Android is that even its kernel are from Linux, the vectors of viruses existed due on popularity ratings and vulnerabilities.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I think you're being dramatic, because with some common sense to an Antivirus and some Internet awareness you shouldn't have malware-related issues. :rolleyes:

Related, I heard Samsung was running Android on an Intel-powered chip. -cough- Android x86 -cough-

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Yes, the more options and features in a laptop the better for me in one device, It would be great to switch to Android mode to test out Android applications, rather then using those slow buggy problem prone Android emulators on Windows itself, It would also be a great way to use Android apps on a full screen rather then restricted to your Android phone screen, Or simply try an app in Android mode on the laptop then if you like it, install it to your phone, Over the things I mentioned I can see other benefits in a Windows/Android laptop not just for consumers but developers also.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.