Larry's config

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Add HitMan Pro. It is a quick scanner that will let you know in a few minutes whether or not you have a serious infection. I use it like an SR-71. It is fast and is a great reconnaissance tool.

After you gather the intelligence then you can unleash the beast.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well in changing PDF reader you can try Foxit Reader or Sumatra PDF.

Larry

Thread author
Apr 27, 2011
I'm trying to decide if I should buy Geswall or not. I've been reading reviews on geswall, sandboxie and defense wall and I've tried all three or a free trial. So far, geswall seems the most unintrusive. I had problems with getting Defense wall to trust an untrusted application and vice versa and had a few crashes with Sandboxie. I just can't decide. I've read a review on drive sentry as well but isn't exactly what I'm looking for. My daughter couldn't care less about this stuff even though she need to protect her computer. Right now we both have Kaspersky internet security 2011 and I scan both computers weekly with Super antispyware but I have geswall on mine for added protection(hopefully). I'm gonna look up if I"m supposed to delete the untrusted files list or only the temporary files.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
@ Larry, GesWall I find to be a great program and one that works very well, I am a bit confused as to why you do not choose to use the sandbox included with your security software though.

Larry

Thread author
Apr 27, 2011
Tweak said:
@ Larry, GesWall I find to be a great program and one that works very well, I am a bit confused as to why you do not choose to use the sandbox included with your security software though.
It's too easy to forget to activate the "safe run" feature and just open up my browser without using it. I'm basically lazy but even when I used the sandbox feature, a couple of financial institutions didn't recognize my computer and required further identification and wouldn't let me in while using it almost as if Kaspersky's sandbox stripped the entire website of all graphics and left me with just text. I don't have that problem with Geswall. Don't know if that's good or bad but Kaspersky's sandbox makes me uncomfortable and Geswall is smooth as silk.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Larry said:
Tweak said:
It's too easy to forget to activate the "safe run" feature and just open up my browser without using it. I'm basically lazy but even when I used the sandbox feature, a couple of financial institutions didn't recognize my computer and required further identification and wouldn't let me in while using it almost as if Kaspersky's sandbox stripped the entire website of all graphics and left me with just text. I don't have that problem with Geswall. Don't know if that's good or bad but Kaspersky's sandbox makes me uncomfortable and Geswall is smooth as silk.

Appreciate and understood, GesWall is very nice so I imagine you will be very happy with it.:cool:

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
good setting..
i'm use IE9 and firefox 4.0.1
:)
but, IE9 never use it :p
maybe just windows update lol

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
IE is also used when for instance CIS is updating itself :) and I guess that more programs uses IE when it comes to download updates.

Larry

Thread author
Apr 27, 2011
Kaspersky caught 3 tojans from getting through my email over the past couple of weeks. These emails were in my spam folder anyway but Kaspersky scans my email very well and I"m a happy camper. Between geswall and Kaspersky I think I'm in like flint(I hope). At least it will be more of a challenge to infect my computer anyway.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Larry said:
Kaspersky caught 3 tojans from getting through my email over the past couple of weeks.
Which part of KIS detected the trojans? File Antivirus, WebGuard Antivirus or AntiSpam? :D
What email service are you using Gmail,Hotmail ,Yahoo Mail .. ?

Larry

Thread author
Apr 27, 2011
Mail anti-virus. I'm using outlook express. Kis scans the email as It's downloading. Each one of the emails was supposedly from a financial place. One was bank of America, paypal and citibank which were bogus emails anyway.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I don't think that Larry uses a webmail service (even if some support POP3/SMTP and can be accessed using Outlook Express) since all services mentioned already scan the e-mails. Anyway, it is nice to see that you've found a config that works for you.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.