Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Last male WW1 veteran dies

Claude Choules, the last remaining male combat veteran of World War I and known as ‘Chuckles’ by his comrades, has died in a Perth nursing home. He was 110 years old.

image.asp

Born in Worcestershire in 1901, he served with the Royal Navy onboard the HMS Impregnable in 1916 at the age of just 15, before joining the battleship HMS Revenge in 1917 and witnessing the surrender of the German Fleet near Firth of Forth in Scotland in 1918.

Mr Choules emigrated to Australia in 1920 and moved to Fremantle where he was seconded to the Royal Australian Navy in 1926.

It was on the liner that first took him to Australia that he met his future wife Ethel. They were married on December 3, 1926 and later settled in Western Australia. His wife died in 2003 at the age of 98 after they had been married for 76 years, and he spent his final years in a nursing home.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I hate to see these guys go. My neighbor down the street is an 88 year old WWII veteran; priceless.

Just looking at him sit in that chair makes you want to shake his hand and give him a hug, and then, sit speechless and absorb his wisdom.

Great post. This is worth something.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.