Advice Request LastPass alternative?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am looking for a good, free alternative to LastPass, one that will sync across various PCs, like LastPass free version does.

I recently discovered, by the process of elimination, that the LastPass chrome extension is conflicting with GoogleDocs and other Google services, on my x64 windows 10 machine. I tried removing my security software, and it still conflicted.
Interestingly, it does not seem to conflict on my x86 win10 virtual machine.

A workaround is to run 2 chrome identities at the same time. One for GoogleDocs, and the other for everything else. But I am getting tired of the complications and the mini-avatars on the taskbar icons.

Any ideas?

Some say to use KeePass and sync the password data base over Dropbox, but that doesn't sound so secure to me. The KeePass data base is unencrypted, I would assume?

EDIT: I see that the data base is indeed encrypted. I guess it has to be, or else it is just too easy to steal. Is the encryption sufficient, or is it unsafe to sync it over Dropbox?

Last edited:

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Some say to use KeePass and sync the password data base over Dropbox, but that doesn't sound so secure to me. The KeePass data base is unencrypted, I would assume?

It would be pretty senseless if KeePass database were not encrypted. It is encrypted with AES-256. Moreover you can enhance protection by increasing the number of key transformation rounds.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avast Passwords

Pros
- Free to use
- Cross Platform Sync
- Available for Chrome and Firefox on Windows (desktop), Opera and Chrome on Android, Safari on iOS
- Baked into Avast's SafeZone browser

Cons:
- No standalone version available (ie. requires Avast Antivirus) - Major Disadvantage!!
- Not available for Mac OS X or Linux
- Limited browser support for other users

Premium:
- One Touch Login (On your PC or Mac? Browse as normal. We’ll prompt you when needed, so you can sign in to your accounts just by tapping your phone)
- Password Guardian (If someone breaks into your Gmail or another service you use, we'll tell you straight away so you can change your password)

Premium features highlighted in bold:
upload_2016-7-12_14-25-4.png

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Avast Passwords

Pros
- Free to use
- Cross Platform Sync
- Available for Chrome and Firefox on Windows (desktop), Opera and Chrome on Android, Safari on iOS
- Baked into Avast's SafeZone browser

Cons:
- No standalone version available (ie. requires Avast Antivirus) - Major Disadvantage!!
- Not available for Mac OS X or Linux
- Limited browser support for other users

Premium:
- One Touch Login (On your PC or Mac? Browse as normal. We’ll prompt you when needed, so you can sign in to your accounts just by tapping your phone)
- Password Guardian (If someone breaks into your Gmail or another service you use, we'll tell you straight away so you can change your password)

Premium features highlighted in bold:
View attachment 108177
can import from lastpass to avast?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
can import from lastpass to avast?
These are the available options. You can use EasyPass to import a file (.htm).

upload_2016-7-12_14-33-21.png

Differences occur between the exporting and importing choices available. Currently I have not tried importing from LP.
Remember to shred your exported files securely.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
These are the available options. You can use EasyPass to import a file (.htm).

View attachment 108180

Differences occur between the exporting and importing choices available. Currently I have not tried importing from LP.
Remember to shred your exported files securely.
recommendations for a good shredder?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
It's free but they require to have Kaspersky account. I don't like it. I would stay away from any connection to the Internet with respect to a password manager. Things happen.
The main function of the password manager @shmu26 wants is that it syncs across devices, can't do that without an internet connection :rolleyes:

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
The main function of the password manager @shmu26 wants is that it syncs across devices, can't do that without an internet connection :rolleyes:

I know. Here I mean that sync can be done without trusting your passwords directly to the PM company. Like KeePass + Dropbox combo or even doing that manually (really paranoid though). Though it's not so convenient of course.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
recommendations for a good shredder?
CCleaner with Secure Deletion enabled.
Eraser (my favourite alt to CCleaner)
TechNet SDelete (use with caution!)

I was only able to Export .HTML with LastPass, but cannot import into Avast Passwords. :(

PC Mag UK posted this last week: The Best Password Managers of 2016 - Paid / Premium versions. I was recommended to try Keeper, but expensive for personal use with no support for multiple devices in free version.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

does it provide access to the passwords from multiple devices?

Yes, you can select local mode or cloud mode. In cloud mode you will need an extension which encrypts your passwords locally, then they are transmitted to amazon web services and stored there in an encrypted form salted. For more security you can select local mode but then you won't be able to sync.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I found this interesting post on LastPass site, it might actually solve some issues with google products:

How do I prevent LastPass from filling erroneous form fields?

As an example, let's say you are on Google and there is a field on that page that LastPass is filling with the value 'abc123'.

To prevent LastPass from filling in the value, follow these steps:

1) Locate the site in your LastPass vault that contains the data 'abc123'. The easiest way to do this is to go to your LastPass vault and search for 'google.com' to list all matching sites.

2) For each matching site, click the Wrench icon to bring up the Edit Site window. If you saved the site originally using the Save All Entered Data method, then the fields will be displayed. If we automatically saved the site for you, click on the Wrench icon at the bottom of the window to edit the saved form fields.

3) Look for the field with a value of 'abc123' and click [-] to delete the field.

4) Click 'Save' to dismiss the Edit Form Fields dialog.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I know. Here I mean that sync can be done without trusting your passwords directly to the PM company. Like KeePass + Dropbox combo or even doing that manually (really paranoid though). Though it's not so convenient of course.

I understand where you are coming from. Using a password manager itself means putting your trust in the company to secure your entire digital life, if you don't trust them the best way is to manually remember each and every password you use or even worse use the same password over and over again. Personally I feel that Lastpass has been doing it for years and they have a very robust system in place to make sure all the data is where is should be. Where as putting your data on dropbox is also still an increased risk, what if your dropbox gets hacked? Etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.