Battle Lastpass or F-Secure KEY

uxbal

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 10, 2016
Looking for a safe way to manage my passwords, and am wondering, which of these two is better? + Is it better to only use the browser to save passwords, or is it better to use something like these two? Is any other internet security suite offering such a product, that is really good?

Thank you!

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Is there any need for a paid account with LastPass? Are the ads nagging all the time?
I share a free LastPass account with my wife. Surprisingly, particularly since this is a free service, I have not experienced any ads:cool:
thus far.:rolleyes:
The main attraction, for me, if I were to move to a paid (Premium) account ($12 per year US) would be the ability to access LastPass on ones phone. You can try it free for 1 week, I believe.

Last edited:

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Is there any need for a paid account with LastPass? Are the ads nagging all the time?
You don't get ads from LastPass about moving to a premium account as far as I know. Though, I could be wrong as I've had a premium account for a while so I could have forgot, but I can't remember having any bad experiences like that.
Here are the features of the different types of accounts:
JrP8VTe.png

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I share a free LastPass account with my wife. Surprisingly, particularly since this is a free service, I have not experienced any ads:cool:
thus far.:rolleyes:
The main attraction, for me, if I were to move to a paid account ($12 per year US) would the the ability to access LastPass on ones phone. You can try it free for 1 week, I believe.
I love my Lastpass premium, syncing my passwords between my computer and phone is a lifesaver. Especially now that I've changed my passwords to Lastpass generated ones, not gonna be remembering them any time soon :rolleyes:

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
i'm using LastPass (free version) since about 5 years on all my windows machines (w7 and W8.1) together with Firefox (only): i had no problems at all with this software. The free version doesn't show any ads. Unfortunately i can't compare both softwares, because i've never used "F-secure KEY" before.

sunrise

Level 2
Verified
Aug 2, 2014
First, what do you want? A free or paid product?
Second, offline usage/fully online?

Browser storage is not secure. I was a Lastpass free user. Last year, if I am not mistaken, they have the promo to upgrade the account for free. So I am now a premium user for free for about more 3 years. Lastpass works. If you use a proxy stuff like zenmate/tunnelo then sometimes it will go into offline mode > just logout.

I do face problems with some sites like my own banking site as maybe because I am not in the west, so maybe the bank's website coding was not done properly.

But other than that, it's a perfectly good password manager. Combine that with 2FA, (google authenticator) and it's secure.

You don't need to waste money buying unnecessary security suite to get a password manager. Better to have a standalone password manager.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There are no Ads in LastPass except the offer in the Vault (website).

According to their latest business model if you registered LP from mobile then Desktop requires Premium, and vice versa if registered via PC (Desktop) the mobile apps need Premium.

LastPass Premium is very cheap compared to other password manager services, and worth upgrading if you use LP on both Desktop and Mobile devices.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
....yes LastPass seems to be a quite good software: i would also recommend to take a look at www.xmarks.com (online bookmark manager). "Xmarks.com" is a LastPass company (source):
In November 2010, Xmarks was acquired by LastPass, makers of the award-winning cross-browser, cross-platform online password manager. The acquisition included a restructuring of Xmarks into a "freemium" business model while bringing Xmarks' powerful bookmarks solution to millions more users.

Both tools (free versions) are working fine on my systems.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I've been using LastPass Premium for over 2 years now, and it's probably one of the best investment I've made. Took me hours to change all my passwords and now I couldn't live without it. If you want, you can export all your passwords to a plain text file (or .csv file) and then save it in an encrypted container, in case something goes wrong.

H

hjlbx

The problem with password managers from Norton, Kaspersky, F-Secure, etc - is that their password managers are not closely tested nor actively developed.

At least with LastPass there are many dedicated users that - when they find something wrong - will report bugs\vulnerabilities and Marvasol (LastPass publisher) fixes them.

Report a password manager bug to Norton, Kaspersky, F-Secure, etc - and it is likely never to be fixed or - if it is fixed - the fix will come years later. For example, Kaspersky's password manager did not function on 64 bit systems for years. I don't know that it does today.

LastPass new releases are few and far in-between; security soft password manager new releases are almost never.

In terms of protection, I trust LastPass over others.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.