Latest Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
I have had this set up for around 6 months and done the odd tweak hear and there.

I do also run Secunia PSI on demand to check for software updates.

I thought I would post my current set up for any suggestions to improve or modify things.

The only thing I may not be covered for is screen capture as I dont think any of my security covers that ?

Thanks

Andy

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I personally can't find anything wrong, but that's me. How are you liking Avast IS 8 Beta?

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
McLovin said:
I personally can't find anything wrong, but that's me. How are you liking Avast IS 8 Beta?

Pretty good and no letdown in my PC performance speed. There are a few minor tweaks in the Beta to get it 100% right but other than that its fine.

I was looking at Zemana as this has defense against screen capture and clipboard whereas i dont think i have that anywhere. Keyscrambler covers my for loggers though and version 3 works great for me as they have fixed an issue when typing in a Google search because it entered as scrambled text but now that problems gone.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Running beta version of an application, generally speaking, is not a wise choice but I know a few people whom only run beta programs on their systems. You could add comodo kill switch as an additional On-demand tool.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Valentin N said:
Running beta version of an application, generally speaking, is not a wise choice but I know a few people whom only run beta programs on their systems. You could add comodo kill switch as an additional On-demand tool.

I simply refuse to install any BETA security products to my system.
BETA = unresolved bugs, instability, system errors, etc.

BETA security software should never be used to protect your system.
I only test them in virtualization like VMware or Virtualbox.

Thanks.:D

I

illumination

I test/run Betas on one of my older systems "without VM" to see how they react in a real environment. I find it is the most accurate way to test Betas.

P

Plexx

The only BETA software I run are games. Anything else is either VM (before) or a Junk pc (now).

Note that Junk pc has an updated image of the OS for restoring backup, so it is the best way to see how the solution would perform in a clean Windows install. Once you get the idea, then you may install other stuff.

Alternatively, Rollback RX on Junk PC.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Littlebits said:
Valentin N said:

I simply refuse to install any BETA security products to my system.
BETA = unresolved bugs, instability, system errors, etc.

BETA security software should never be used to protect your system.
I only test them in virtualization like VMware or Virtualbox.

Thanks.:D

I dont go head first into Beta versions and I keep an eye on them until any major issues are resolved before I will install it.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Your config looks fine to me, plenty secure the only thing i'd change is the beta your using and the only thing I can suggest to add is either shadow defender or Toolwiz Timefreeze for added layer.

D

Deleted member 178

Avast 8 is enough because :

MBAM: Covered by Avast removal capability (built-in Gmer)
Keyscrambler: you have to use Safezone instead
Winpatrol: covered by Avast File Shield
Sandboxie : covered by Avast Safezone and Avast Sandbox

Unless you are paranoid , you just waste resources usage and money ^^

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
In regards to Umbra reply (above); You're not supposed to depend on any Beta software to protect you or your PC. Also Avast 8 is Beta, so it's guaranteed that some components won't work as intended. So Avast 8 wouldn't be considered enough (IMO during Beta stages).

Keep using Sandboxie for your browsing to prevent any leaks.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
Avast 8 is enough because :

MBAM: Covered by Avast removal capability (built-in Gmer)
Keyscrambler: you have to use Safezone instead
Sandboxie : covered by Avast Safezone and Avast Sandbox

Unless you are paranoid , you just waste resources usage and money ^^

Well he obviously has the Umbra virus :p

How so? If he installs something new is fileshield gonna stop it from creating a startup entry or taking over a certain extension?

P

Plexx

avast! file shield will only prevent an infection and subsequently stop the creation of auto run start up keys and what not, tho that subject is still much in debate since it has happened before where file shield prevented an infection but start up registry keys were still created, tho obsolete in the end.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Many thanks for your comments.

I tend only to use Safezone for banking, and Sandboxie with Keyscrambler for everyday use.

I think there was an issue in Avast 7 at some stage using their Sandbox with Roboform so i got Sandboxie which worked fine with Roboform.

Not sure that Winpatrol is so important to keep now though but it does flag up when there are changes made so I think I will leave it running as none of my security set-up tends to eat up resources.

I will take a look at the other suggestions too.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
AMD1, you have Sandboxies paid version but you are only using Sandboxie to sandbox your browser. Its great that you are doing that but you are not taking advantage of Sandboxies full capability when that's all you are doing with it.

Sandboxie is a lot more than a browser in a sandbox. It can be used to sandbox your EMail client, PDF Reader, video players, Win Rar or any program that you have.

You can also use it to run your USB, CD and DVD drives sandboxed. For example, if a friend wants you to plugin a USB drive in your PC, you don't have to worry about whether it is infected or not or whether Avast will detect the infection or not because any file that runs will be contained by Sandboxie.

My advice is get more out of Sandboxie than what you are doing now. If you do, it doesn't matter what else you run along side or you can run nothing like many do including myself.

Bo

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
bo.elam said:
AMD1, you have Sandboxies paid version but you are only using Sandboxie to sandbox your browser. Its great that you are doing that but you are not taking advantage of Sandboxies full capability when that's all you are doing with it.

Sandboxie is a lot more than a browser in a sandbox. It can be used to sandbox your EMail client, PDF Reader, video players, Win Rar or any program that you have.

You can also use it to run your USB, CD and DVD drives sandboxed. For example, if a friend wants you to plugin a USB drive in your PC, you don't have to worry about whether it is infected or not or whether Avast will detect the infection or not because any file that runs will be contained by Sandboxie.

My advice is get more out of Sandboxie than what you are doing now. If you do, it doesn't matter what else you run along side or you can run nothing like many do including myself.

Bo

Bo, thanks for that. I am aware that I can add further configurations to Sandboxie and was looking to do so. Can you set it to become system wide so to speak ?

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
AMD1 said:
Bo, thanks for that. I am aware that I can add further configurations to Sandboxie and was looking to do so. Can you set it to become system wide so to speak ?

No, you cant, if you try, Sandboxie will issue a warning. Sandboxie is designed for sandboxing applications. You have the option to run Windows Explorer sandboxed, that you can do but you can not set Windows Explorer as a forced folder.

For system wide virtualization, I am using Shadow Defender, Toolwiz TimeFreeze its also pretty good. I use LV for trying programs but for security, Sandboxie is what gets it done.

Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.