• EMSISOFT Emergency Kit
  • Norton Power Erase
  • AdwCleaner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browser(s) and extensions
Primary - Firefox with uBlock Origin, Bitwarden, Browsing Protection by F-Secure
For the unknown / untrusted / shady sites: Vivaldi with uBlock Origin, Bitwarden, Browsing Protection by F-Secure, Netcraft Extension
Secure DNS
Preferred: dns0.eu (DoH)
Alternate: quad9(DoH)
same setting also on the Fritzbox (DoT)
Desktop VPN
F-Secure Total (Rarely used)
Password manager
Bitwarden and Microsoft Authenticator for OTP
Proton Pass (PW Backup)
Maintenance tools
Windows built-in
File and Photo backup
Personal Backup 6 - manual backup of important folders to my external drive (folders encrypted)
Onedrive - for my collections of Family Photos & Videos (folders encrypted)
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper (System Backup)
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Gaming
    • Gaming with third-party mods
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
GPU: AMD Radeon™ RX 7800 XT
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 7700X
RAM: 32 GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Flare X5
Internal storage: 1TB Seagate FireCuda 530 + 2 TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 1TB SanDisk Ultra 3D
External storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda + Hard Drive Enclosure
Notable changes
Following Divine_Barakah's recommendation, I switched my recovery backup from Windows built-in to AOMEI Backupper. (15.01.23)
After some Posts that i read here in the forum and elsewhere, I decided to delete Malwarebytes and replace it with Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool. (24.01.23) (Periodic scanners)
I change my Secure DNS (Alternate) from ControlD Free Malware to 1.1.1.2 (Malware Blocking Only) because unfortunately i noticed too often how it delays the connection to sites and because it often came to DNS request timed out errors. (26.01.23)
I change my Secure DNS (Alternate) from 1.1.1.2 to dns0.eu because its a French non‑profit organization. (19.02.23)
Exchange DNS Alternate with Preferred. (24.02.23)
New PC with a Fresh Windows 11 instalation (06.10.2023)
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

Lavamate

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 2, 2022
First update about changes

Following Divine_Barakah's recommendation, I switched my recovery backup from Windows built-in to AOMEI Backupper. (15.01.23)
After some Posts that i read here in the forum and elsewhere, I decided to delete Malwarebytes and replace it with Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool. (24.01.23) (Periodic scanners)
I change my Secure DNS (Alternate) from ControlD Free Malware to 1.1.1.2 (Malware Blocking Only) because unfortunately i noticed too often how it delays the connection to sites and because it often came to DNS request timed out errors. (26.01.23)
I change my Secure DNS (Alternate) from 1.1.1.2 to dns0.eu(Zero) because its a French non‑profit organization and of its hardened threat intelligence security. (19.02.23)
Exchange DNS Alternate with Preferred. (24.02.23)

Last edited:

Lavamate

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 2, 2022
Second update about changes
I change my Secure DNS from dns0.eu(Zero) to non-Zero because several serious websites could no longer be accessed with the Zero-Variant. (11.04.2023)
I'm currently experimenting with MB Windows Firewall Control, and so far, I'm very impressed. I use the settings recommended by piquiteco in this thread. (15.08.2023)
I added Netcraft Extension to Vivaldi for more security on unknown / untrusted / shady sites. (10.07.2023)
Proton Pass but just as backup for my PW´s. (17.08.2023)

Lavamate

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 2, 2022
dns0.eu(Zero) has zero configuration, the original NextDNS is better, you can see what is blocked and add it to allowlist. dns0.eu was supposed to be user friendly, but it really is not.
You are right but the 300,000 queries in the free version of NextDNS is not enough for me and I don't want to pay for the Pro version :whistle:
I only use NextDNS on the iPhone because the 300,000 queries there are enough, and it has impressed me so far because it has ad blocking and security features, but I don't really need that on the PC.

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
You are right but the 300,000 queries in the free version of NextDNS is not enough for me and I don't want to pay for the Pro version :whistle:
I only use NextDNS on the iPhone because the 300,000 queries there are enough, and it has impressed me so far because it has ad blocking and security features, but I don't really need that on the PC.
Actually thats where you need it the most 👀

• Hundred Points
  • Thanks
Reactions: Nevi and Lavamate

Lavamate

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 2, 2022
Actually thats where you need it the most 👀
If you look at the list above, you can see that I have actually done a lot to be on the safe side :D
BTW: dns0.eu has built-in protection against millions of malicious domains and that is enough for me together with the rest of my security measures

Reactions: Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
If you look at the list above, you can see that I have actually done a lot to be on the safe side :D
BTW: dns0.eu has built-in protection against millions of malicious domains and that is enough for me together with the rest of my security measures
Protection-wise definitely u are all set, but tracking and ad blocking could be an useful addition. But understandable if it's not worth the 19 dollars a year for you.

Lavamate

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 2, 2022
Protection-wise definitely u are all set, but tracking and ad blocking could be an useful addition. But understandable if it's not worth the 19 dollars a year for you.
Yes, you are right about tracking and ad blocking. I will think about it and then decide whether to buy NextDNS or ControlD.
But shouldn't uBlock actually be enough?:unsure:
When I uses these filters:
uBlock filters – Ads, uBlock filters – Badware risks, uBlock filters – Privacy, uBlock filters – Quick fixes, uBlock filters – Unbreak, AdGuard – Ads, AdGuard Tracking Protection, AdGuard URL Tracking Protection, EasyPrivacy, Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list, AdGuard – Other Annoyances, AdGuard – Popup Overlays, AdGuard – Social Media, AdGuard – Widgets, AdGuard/uBO – Cookie Notices, Fanboy – Anti-Facebook, uBlock filters – Annoyances, EasyList Germany, HaGeZi's Personal DNS Blocklist

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Yes, you are right about tracking and ad blocking. I will think about it and then decide whether to buy NextDNS or ControlD.
But shouldn't uBlock actually be enough?:unsure:
When I uses these filters:
uBlock filters – Ads, uBlock filters – Badware risks, uBlock filters – Privacy, uBlock filters – Quick fixes, uBlock filters – Unbreak, AdGuard – Ads, AdGuard Tracking Protection, AdGuard URL Tracking Protection, EasyPrivacy, Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list, AdGuard – Other Annoyances, AdGuard – Popup Overlays, AdGuard – Social Media, AdGuard – Widgets, AdGuard/uBO – Cookie Notices, Fanboy – Anti-Facebook, uBlock filters – Annoyances, EasyList Germany, HaGeZi's Personal DNS Blocklist
I don't only mean browser ads and trackers. 🙃

• Thanks
Reactions: Nevi and Lavamate

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.