Not open for further replies.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Suggestions:
Turning on Windows Update is critical. Don't ever downplay OS security updates.
Besides those five points the rest is fine.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
first important thing to do is to set os file rep ( uac ) to max , get 2 other on demand scanners : eek and zemana anti malware free , remove mbam because it used to better in the past. ad https everywhere and privacy badger. get rid of all of the iobit products because of their shady past and replace with ccleaner , defraggler or auslogics free defrag and wisecare 365. thanks for sharing your config with us :D

Reactions: frogboy and Rengar

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Why no OS updates? I can't understand why you would regret Microsoft security patches.
Since you are on Windows 7 and you dislike UAC (have to admit it was quite annoying back there ) you should try Kaspersky TAM mode.
Definitely add uBlock Origin. It is totally compatible with Kaspersky addon and will boost both speed and protection.
I would use CCleaner instead of those utilities.
Thanks for sharing :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Enable OS security updates.
What version of KIS are you using?
Consider adding an additional on demand scanner(s).
Consider adding an adblocker.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Reactions: JM Safe

leet

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2013
Removed kaspersky protection add on and using privacy badger and https everywhere.
UAC is in to MAX
KIS version 17.0.0.611(e)

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
KIS's latest Chrome addon for the 2018 version has some serious performance issues, replaced it with Avira's for the time being.

leet

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2013
KIS's latest Chrome addon for the 2018 version has some serious performance issues, replaced it with Avira's for the time being.
I removed it.Replaced by privacy badger and https everywhere.Isn't that ok ?

Reactions: frogboy

leet

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2013
Ι changed some things if you all have an advise ? I don't want to make any promises (just saying).

leet

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2013
OS Security Updates disabled. Why?

OS File Reputation disabled. Why?

Add uBlock Origin.

Thanks for sharing.

I just don't like windows updates. What is "OS File Reputation" ?

Your advise is to remove privacy badger and replace it with ublock origin?
Or to add ublock too ? (I have already removed kaspersky protection ,maybe it is wise to add it again).
Thank you for your help.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I just don't like windows updates. What is "OS File Reputation" ?

Your advise is to remove privacy badger and replace it with ublock origin?
Or to add ublock too ? (I have already removed kaspersky protection ,maybe it is wise to add it again).
Thank you for your help.
Windows updates are critical to the security of your system. Without them discovered OS vulnerabilities will not be patched allowing malware to exploit them.

OS File Reputation refers to SmartScreen. It's only used by Internet Explorer on Windows 7 but available system-wide for Windows 10.

uBlock Origin is more effective at blocking ads and trackers than Privacy Badger but relies on blacklists instead of an algorithm in deciding what should be blocked and what shouldn't. You've no need to run both; pick one or the other.

Reactions: leet

leet

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2013
Windows updates are critical to the security of your system. Without them discovered OS vulnerabilities will not be patched allowing malware to exploit them.

OS File Reputation refers to SmartScreen. It's only used by Internet Explorer on Windows 7 but available system-wide for Windows 10.

uBlock Origin is more effective at blocking ads and trackers than Privacy Badger but relies on blacklists instead of an algorithm in deciding what should be blocked and what shouldn't. You've no need to run both; pick one or the other.

Smartscreen was already enabled in IE.Privacy badger is deactivated and added Ublock origin.
Thank you for your help.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Smartscreen was already enabled in IE.Privacy badger is deactivated and added Ublock origin.
Thank you for your help.
Your biggest issue is still Windows Update being turned off. I can't stress enough the importance of installing Windows security updates. You've already seen the effects of not doing so if you've been following the WannaCry cyber attack over the past 48 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.