Advice Request Legitimate software that can be used by intruders

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Hi. I downloaded eagleget from FileHippo and Kaspersky Standard said:
Type: Legitimate software that can be used by intruders to damage your computer or personal data

In order for Kaspersky Standard to not give alerts for the next times, I did disable:
1665183736522.png

Was that correct?

Reactions: Venustus
F

ForgottenSeer 95367

Hi. I downloaded eagleget from FileHippo and Kaspersky Standard said:
Type: Legitimate software that can be used by intruders to damage your computer or personal data

In order for Kaspersky Standard to not give alerts for the next times, I did disable:
View attachment 269888

Was that correct?
That setting enables detection of such software as Proceess Hacker (it ships with a driver that can be exploited; it is not installed by default) and SysInternals' PSEXEC which is for remote administration, but can be used to compromise a system.

Unless you use such software, you should keep it enabled.

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
I just don't understand why you choose to disable the protection. ......

FileHippo it's a well-known website, but it does not mean it is a guarantee of safety ,
when Kaspersky detected as a threats , you should take it seriously .

If you believe it's a false positive , than you should report to Kaspersky request assist or reanalysis ,
not choose to close the stalkerware protect .

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Downloaded the installer from FileHippo and:

1665208043441.png

Event: We found an application that can be used by intruders to damage your computer or personal data
User type: Initiator
Application name: explorer.exe
Application path: C:\Windows
Component: File Anti-Virus
Result description: Detected
Name: not-a-virus:Server-Proxy.Win32.Luminati.c
Precision: Exactly
Threat level: Low
Object type: File
Object name: eagleget_setup.exe
Object path: D:\OneDrive\Descargas
MD5 of an object: 69F26E335A173717A64CD3B5458B9897
Reason: Expert analysis
Databases release date: Yesterday, 07/10/2022 17:42:00

Last edited:

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
Eagleget is a download manager and the main issue/risk for Kaspersky seems to be the proxy functionality.
Such programs are okay unless they have been installed onto your system without your consent. But since you downloaded the file yourself, it is fine.

I still advise against disabling the riskware detections in general. Do an exception for Eagleget and rather keep the added protection from riskware. Otherwise you will not know if an attacker installs, e.g., a legitimate remote access software like Teamviewer onto your system.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.