Speed, Ad-Blocking, Fingerprinting, IP Leak, Customization and Compatibility

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
As of 8 Jan 2023 the below shows the latest in the browsers' version. Features-wise, both are comparable.

Read the below for a comparison between the 2 browsers. The entire post which covers many areas with the comments is too long

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
This reddit poster is simply covering his experience and features details that have been covered in many MT threads. I will add that LW is unsigned and needs to be manually updated, or updated with an optional extension.

Like @Moonhorse, I've settled on Firefox as my main browser, using Edge for streaming TV and select websites.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
This reddit poster is simply covering his experience and features details that have been covered in many MT threads. I will add that LW is unsigned and needs to be manually updated, or updated with an optional extension.

Like @Moonhorse, I've settled on Firefox as my main browser, using Edge for streaming TV and select websites.
A bit of correction on LW

No extension update needed. Just put the LW WinUpdater as the same folder as LW. When you click LW icon on desktop, it'll auto update if there's an update. Using the portable version here.

ddave

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
After some research and first-hand attempts I opted for firefox with some extensions and duckduckgo as a search engine. I installed brave for the backup purpose.
I don't like some choices made by brave team and I prefer the plain firefox with the extensions selected by me.

For your information the extensions I install are:
- duckduckgo privacy essentials
- ublock origin
- clearurls
- cookie autodelete
- decentraleyes
- sponsorblock

I tried several search engines like duckduckgo, brave search, qwant and startpage but I found myself home with ddg.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
After some research and first-hand attempts I opted for firefox with some extensions and duckduckgo as a search engine. I installed brave for the backup purpose.
I don't like some choices made by brave team and I prefer the plain firefox with the extensions selected by me.

- ublock origin
- clearurls
- cookie autodelete
- decentraleyes
- sponsorblock

I tried several search engines like duckduckgo, brave search, qwant and startpage but I found myself home with ddg.
ClearURLs can be replaced by adding Dandelion Sprout's Legitimate URL Shortener list to uBO: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/DandelionSprout/adfilt/master/LegitimateURLShortener.txt (Copy this URL, open uBO settings -> Filter lists -> import -> paste URL -> Save changes).
I would also delete all other extensions except for SponsorBlock and simply go for Firefox in strict mode with uB0.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

- ublock origin
- clearurls
- cookie autodelete
- decentraleyes
- sponsorblock

@pablozi's suggestion is spot on. Less is more where extensions are concerned. Less attack surface.

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
Sure, but for sure LibreWolf wins, uses another source. Brave uses chromium can't be considered "privacy based".
Take a look in Edge, Vivaldi, Opera all chromium based.

Did you reported that to LibreWolf? Probably they can fix it in next update...
For me librewolf is better due to use another option.

Did you asked yourself why TOR doesn't use Chrome? In my opinion Brave is not "privacy based at all".

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Sure, but for sure LibreWolf wins, uses another source. Brave uses chromium can't be considered "privacy based".
Take a look in Edge, Vivaldi, Opera all chromium based.

Did you reported that to LibreWolf? Probably they can fix it in next update...
For me librewolf is better due to use another option.

Did you asked yourself why TOR doesn't use Chrome? In my opinion Brave is not "privacy based at all".
Chromium ≠ Chrome

• +Reputation
Reactions: Ink and Azure

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Also, the multi-account containers in Firefox in case you have to turn off enhanced tracking protection for some sites. You can also probably contain some search engines in containers coupled with burner accounts.

Reactions: Stopspying

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I like that LW can not be set wrong, all the "bad" settings were simply removed, I use it without extensions and it just works and it is updated via winget.
Brave has recently gone from bad to worse, it got 5 secs delay and started generating DNS requests, like Edge, I guess because of some Chromium feature.

Attachments

• capture_01182023_103039.jpg
    capture_01182023_103039.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 184

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't like some choices made by brave team
Brave are a Ad Media company with interests of Web3 integration.

If you don't like the 2 points above, then it's not recommended. The same applies to Opera, Chrome and Edge.

If you install DDG on mobile, you can opt-in to their other services for Email Tracker Protection and App Tracking Protection (Android only). Additionally Apple Mac users can download their privacy browser for Mac.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.