• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Daljeet

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 14, 2017
The “free” or cheap VPN is collecting user data and selling it to third parties and advertisers (a very lucrative business).The VPN blasts you with ads or redirects your browser to third party websites – and then earns commissions on sales.They will simply cancel your “lifetime” subscription after a year or two. The VPN is similar to a Ponzi-scheme, requiring an ever-increasing number of new subscribers to remain financially solvent.
The “lifetime” is actually referencing the lifetime of the VPN company – not the customer. After selling a large amount of lifetime subscriptions, the owners could simply pay themselves out and then close the business.
Some VPNs are now cancelling all “lifetime subscriptions” and converting these accounts to recurring paid subscriptions. Here is one example I found from VPNLand:

browneylad

Level 2
Verified
Sep 27, 2017
Well its definitely not good & perhaps not advisable to buy lifetime vpns. Its not a regular software that stays locally in our pc. Rather its real time with multiple online servers, somewhat like a secondary internet connection itself. All of it cost good money. Does any ISP sell lifetime internet connection at heavily discounted price?

Even if you consider from simple business point of view, if someone is selling a lifetime license product with free upgrades, that means to the person your value as a customer ends right after he sells you the product. Because there is no more financial gain to achieve from you in future. He can't sell you the same product again. Moreover, future support will no longer consider you as priority customer. So yes as you mention in OP, its like a Ponzi scheme. The only reason such lifetime licenses exist is because it is a good tool, without hassle & commitment, to secure funds for another better version of same product. A fire sale of lifetime accounts can generate enough money for the initial investment in developing another better product.

Maybe its why good vpn providers like Expressvpn or Nordvpn do not sell such license. You get to be like a "subscription slave" but you are treated well & get a good service.

Daljeet

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 14, 2017
@browneylad i agreed with you i see many people purchase lifetime license of Vpn especially "windscribe lifetime license". Vpn provider's sells lifetime license and they're selling with third part like stacksocial and many more. Servers maintenance and bandwidth cost in every country is difficult because hiring a person or team for server maintenance and bandwidth is differ in every country. Vpn provider collect money to pay bills with lifetime license and gain profit with yearly license. If Vpn company is not gaining profit then they start collecting logs,redirecting users, decreased speed, theft users and start using their customer as miners.
Maybe its why good vpn providers like Expressvpn or Nordvpn do not sell such license. You get to be like a "subscription slave" but you are treated well & get a good service.
Definitely they're nit selling lifetime license. Before choice any vpn we should have to see these issues aswell in my opinion.

browneylad

Level 2
Verified
Sep 27, 2017
As always, its up to the user or buyer to think whether a deal is worth exactly or more than what is paid. Its probably a bit like investing in stock of a company. You don't really know about who was the real buyer or seller until when profits are announced.

I found a short term deal of Windscribe few month ago, like $16 for 2 years. Thought it was good value. Less risk than a 4-5 year deal & can move to another service after it.

Daljeet

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 14, 2017
Well i got windscribe lifetime so i hope windscribe will stop selling lifetime subscription to more people.
I think windscribe is planning to setup more servers because they're selling lifetime license from month or more in different sites. More and more users using same service they have to increase their bandwidth which is costly If @windscribe promise same speed than no problem.

browneylad

Level 2
Verified
Sep 27, 2017
Windscribe added some new servers recently. I think they might go through some restructure at some point, by decreasing data amount or number of free servers. If they get good choice of dedicated vps deals. I myself also trying to find a cheap vps to configure my own openvpn in it for 2-3 devices & 1-2 users. Less security than top class vpns but will be one or 2 users max & no speed limit..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.