Question Lightest AV

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
but some apps that loaded lots of files not as much.
I think app launching performance of Microsoft Defender has become worse in some cases in recent times. I have access to three systems (Fast startup disabled on all) where they occasionally use the Cloudflare Warp app. Searching warp in start menu doesn't even load the icon initially and after clicking on it have to wait for 3-4 seconds for the app to show up on the tray area. This was not the case a few months ago.
For comparison, the app launches within a second when any other well-known AVs are installed.

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Honestly i just got a new Dell XPS and kept MS Defender installed as it came preinstalled. It runs great, will monitor the upcoming days but really seems good so far.
How's your experience?

It's hard to tell so I have to rely on the benchmark scores and go back to Kaspersky, with core isolation turned off. What's weird, though, is that it feels like the machine speeded up after I activated TPM and secure boot.

Reactions: Nevi

R19933

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 31, 2023
My vote goes to ESET NOD 32 antivirus, especially if you're under a router. If not the Internet security with firewall is probably better. That and a standard account should keep you protected. If you feel vulnerable, you can add OSArmor ». This should keep you under an umbrella. Just dont click on anything unknown, especially in mails.
I use NOD 32, because it's good, and so light I don't feel it. Microsofts Defender is definitely better than for 5-10 years ago, but I think it's a little heavy to dance with sometimes.
F- Secure should be pretty good too.
How was your experience with the Defender feeling heavy ?
Currently have ESET/F-secure license but honestly i don't really feel the difference in launching apps etc compared to defender.
Might be since the system is pretty new (32gb RAM / i7 etc)

R19933

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 31, 2023
I think app launching performance of Microsoft Defender has become worse in some cases in recent times. I have access to three systems (Fast startup disabled on all) where they occasionally use the Cloudflare Warp app. Searching warp in start menu doesn't even load the icon initially and after clicking on it have to wait for 3-4 seconds for the app to show up on the tray area. This was not the case a few months ago.
For comparison, the app launches within a second when any other well-known AVs are installed.
hmm the response of a search from the start menu? It sounds like a indexing fault, i've never experienced any slowdown in those searches but could be yeah.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
How was your experience with the Defender feeling heavy ?
Currently have ESET/F-secure license but honestly i don't really feel the difference in launching apps etc compared to defender.
Might be since the system is pretty new (32gb RAM / i7 etc)
I don't think about a situation, where Defender would scan. But generally when I was surfing, from I clicked something to the picture was uploadet and ready, there is a clear difference on ESET and Microsoft Defender. I guess it also depends one the computer config. A strong CPU and lots of RAM will help the situation. But I think it's great you think M.D is as light as NOD 32. Then you can save the money. No doubt ESET is aware of many peoples preference for their product, so they can heighten the price. Those vultures. 😄

R19933

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 31, 2023
I don't think about a situation, where Defender would scan. But generally when I was surfing, from I clicked something to the picture was uploadet and ready, there is a clear difference on ESET and Microsoft Defender. I guess it also depends one the computer config. A strong CPU and lots of RAM will help the situation. But I think it's great you think M.D is as light as NOD 32. Then you can save the money. No doubt ESET is aware of many peoples preference for their product, so they can heighten the price. Those vultures. 😄
Yeah the price for ESET is getting absurb .. still have a license for F-secure & ESET but would not buy it again with these prices lol.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.