brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Hey guys.
I know many of you are a bit tired of threads comparing free AVs, but this one is a bit diferent.
I want to know what you think is the best performance free AV right now, which just has a new contester. I am aware of the detection rates considering the different modules of protection available (probably BDF>KAF>WD) but CPU/Ram usage is what Im looking at.
Compatibility with Voodooshield is also an important aspect for me, as I can't live without this wonderful piece of software.
Any comments (with Task Manager screenshots even better) are highly appreciated.

PS. Please do not suggest Avast or Avira as I had some pretty bad experiences with them in the past.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I would say Bitdefender Free at present based on my experience. The recent Kaspersky Free is new on the market so difficult to assess at the moment. I underatnad that F-Secure may have a forthcoming product as well (that company tends to do well in AV tests based on what i have read).

Claw

Level 1
Verified
Feb 11, 2013
I've used Bitdefender Free without any problems, slowdowns or lags of any kind for a long time now.

Attachments

• sc2.png
    sc2.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 689

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
F-Secure Ultralight Anti-Virus is the lightest AV I have ever used (sharing 1st place with Webroot, which is not free). It is currently in beta stage but stable enough for usage. If I remember correctly Ram usage was about ~25MB (not that it matters, Ram usage shouldn't be considered a criteria for performance testing unless system has very low Ram, like 2GB. I consider a AV product heavy when it slows app launch speed, increases Boot time and reduces downloading/browsing speed), CPU remained 0 and disk usage was almost nil during idle system.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
@brod56 if you have money buy the paid version its worth.
they have a sandbox in the paid version and it can scan and check every file for you to see it's safe or it's not safe! like a malware Analyzer so yo u have the zero day protection with that sandbox.without that sandbox, it's not good.
Or you can combine it with vs free and use Cuckoo Sandbox as your free malware analyzer.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I'd say Avast, Quihoo and Windows Defender are also decent. Voodooshield is pretty light too, but it can be the default deny which I'm not really used to. I'd stick away from Kaspersky Free because its fairly new and might still be buggy. As well as Commodo Firewall because of the same deal but a lot worse...

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Here is a light config:

-> Use the Adguard DNS Server. It blocks ads and phishing links etc. But it isn't the best standalone option, because not every ad can be blocked with DNS. Adguard DNS - the free DNS with advanced ad blocking
-> Use uBlock Origin and Https Everywhere for your browser. They secure you and block ads that Adguard doesn't block.
-> (For extra security: Norton Safe Web and Avira Browser Safety)
-> Use Glaswire to control your internet traffic and Process Explorer for processes.

-> Use Comodo Firewall with the @cruelsister awesome settings! It is very light and it will help you with blocking zero-day malware.
-> Here you can download it. Be sure not to install the included internet browser or any Ad-Ware from Yahoo! For more lightness you can uninstall the Internet Security Toolbox after installing the firewall.
Free Firewall | Get Award Winning Comodo Firewall Today
Settings:

Usage:
fEAnSe8.png

If the picture doesn't work for you: http://i.imgur.com/fEAnSe8.png

I know you hate Avast, but if you will ONLY install the file system protection module and use @Evjl's Rain settings then you will be very good secured.
Settings:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.