Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Nice configuration

Considering Malwarebytes went completely downhill with their signatures, I don't see any reason to have the paid version. I would replace it with Zemana and use Malwarebytes for On-Demand or even not at all. Xvirus has a small team of people and even they do better than Malwarebytes (To their credit).

@LukeLovesSecurity Hi Luke, I have a lifetime version of this software; therefore, I am just going to keep it. I paid some big bucks for the lifetime version of this software prior to Malwarebytes changing how they sell their software. I'm glad I bought it a long time ago because the investment has long ago paid off. I'm looking into Zemana as another on-demand scanner too though.

Thanks!

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hello Everyone,

What are your thoughts about adding Zemana Ani-Keylogger to my security config?

Zemana - Best Anti-Keylogger Software and Identity Theft Protection

I heard AntiLogger is great and I am planning on going for the free version of it. However, I don't know if this will be overkill or not. @JM Security what are your thoughts? Being a security guy myself I'm thinking my config is locked down pretty good with everything I have, but looking at it all I don't have a specific software for anti-keyloggers.

@frogboy do you have any suggestions?

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I heard AntiLogger is great and I am planning on going for the free version of it. However, I don't know if this will be overkill or not. @JM Security what are your thoughts? Being a security guy myself I'm thinking my config is locked down pretty good with everything I have, but looking at it all I don't have a specific software for anti-keyloggers.

Yes, I would add ZAL, but unfortunately the free version is discontinued.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@JM Security Thanks for the information. Why on earth do they still advertise it then? Zemana - Best Anti-Keylogger Software and Identity Theft Protection

One can still download it. Is it abandonware now? Can you think of any free alternatives that are just as good? I know my security setup is pretty tight as is, but I'm always tweaking things away. A good security practitioner makes some changes every now and then. haha

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Hello Everyone,

Yes the Zemana one is discontinued but you try one of these The Most Effective Anti-Keylogging Software Download KeyScrambler :) Sorry for the late reply.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
New Security Addition: Upgraded my Anomi Backupper (free) to Aomei Backupper Pro lifetime!

I decided I wanted the extra features, support further development, and be able to own this software for the lifetime of the software. I ended up spending less money for the normal Pro cost through a coupon I found online for this program - 35% off!!!!! In total, I spent $34.42 (with tax) for a lifetime account when the normal cost is $39.95 (plus tax) without lifetime updates and $49.95 (plus tax) for lifetime updates. Big savings!

Edition comparison chart: Compare Different Editions of AOMEI Backupper

Let me know if you'd like me to create a post about the coupon I found and used for this software.

Sincerely,

Lightning_Brian

Last edited:

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
'New' Security Addition: Binisoft USB Flash Drive Control

I use this nice free software quite often. I supposed we can mark this under 'utilities'. Link to this software for those who have not heard about this software: USB Flash Drives Control

Basically, I don't like the idea of someone without my knowledge putting a USB into any one of my computers and trying to get read, write, or execute permissions without admin approval.

By disabling "Read Mode" will help to now ensure that the USB drives plugged into the computer or already in the computer are not mounted and will not be accessible by the users.

By disabling the "Write Mode" with this software we will ensure that any and all data on the USB(s) remains "read-only" (no writing is allowed) and that any data copying that could once occur is no longer allowed without admin privileges.

Now, by disabling the "Execute Mode" we can now block any and all .exe or executable files on a USB from being executed on the system without authorization.

Updated/Upgraded Security Addition: Upgraded my Acronis True Image 2017 software to the 2018 version via free upgrade promotion offered by Acronis True Image.

Features of Acronis True Image 2018 (to name a few): WinPE Media Builder, Active Cloning, Converts to Virtual Hard Drive, Changed-Block Tracker

Biggest features I'm excited about in 2018: WinPE media builder, converting my physical machine into a virtual hard drive (with great ease now), and the changed-block tracker which greatly increases the incremental/differential imaging processes.

Full list of what is new in the Acronis True Image 2018 software: Acronis True Image 2018 -- What's new

Noticeable change: We now have some antiransomware protection built into this software which is quite intriguing, to say the least! Ransomware Protection & Recovery - Acronis Active Protection™

Frequency of System Image Backups Update: Changed from a manual style to Automatic / Scheduled Backups. I'm now performing incremental, differential, and full disk/clone disk backups on an automatic and scheduled basis with various variables in place.

My primary backup software has been changed over to Acronis True Image 2018 based on all of the new functions.

Security Removal: JRT from Malwarebytes. JRT is being discontinued! Please see the announcement below.

upload_2017-10-28_23-12-22.png

JRT is a great command line tool. I cannot blame the company from wanting to part ways with this software though. The developer(s) working on this product can now focus on other products/projects.

Long list of information, but many great additions and small changes that will help to keep things more secure and locked down!

Let me know your thoughts!

Last edited:
Reactions: XhenEd

klaken

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
Think of comfortable firewall + another AV .. Or cis directly do not think they are heavy.
malwerite + comodo firewall is excellent combo.
So you could replace VoodooShield

Keepass I like a lot for the password .. I use it synchronized with my disk cloud in the mail (hotmail or gmail) ..

Reactions: XhenEd

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hello Everyone!

Added: Adguard Adblocker, AOMEI Partition Assistant, AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager

I have made a switch in my configuration to use Adguard!

The question now becomes --- should I use Adguard in place of uBlock Origin? What are your thoughts!?

The other two products .... Well AOMEI has some great products! In all seriousness, I took advantage of a recent giveaway of the software that is a great addition to my system. The two pieces of software are much more robust than disk management offered by Windows.

~Brian

Reactions: Nevi and harlan4096
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.