Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Norton Security Premium, Zemana Antilogger Premium, VoodooShield Premium
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Norton Power Eraser (NPE), Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes, Zemana Antilogger Premium
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox: HTTPS Everywhere, AdGuard AdBlocker, Windscribe VPN, Norton Safe Web, NoScript, and every once in a while uBlock Origin to compare against Adguard AdBlocker
Maintenance tools
7-Zip, Adguard Premium, AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Pro Edition (latest stable), AOMEI Parition Assistant Pro Edition (latest stable), GlassWire Elite (latest release), Hard Disk Sentinel Pro (latest release), Wise Care 365, VMware Workstation Pro 15 (latest release), Windscribe, Macrium Reflect Free (latest release), AOMEI Backupper Pro (latest release), Acronis True Image 2019 (Paid and latest release), Shadow Defender [Lifetime License/Latest Release], Sandboxie (Paid), Windows Repair from Tweaking.com (Free), BleachBit (Portable & Free), Zemana AntiMalware (Portable & Free), Revo Uninstaller v4 (Pro Portable - Paid), Malwarebytes JRT (Portable & Free & Discontinued [still good for finding nasty stuff, but the end of life was April 26, 2018]), SecureMyBit DHScan, viBoot from Macrium Reflect (latest stable)
File and Photo backup
NA - Looking into a new solution at the moment!
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Free (latest stable), AOMEI Backupper Pro (Paid and latest stable), Acronis True Image 2019 (Paid and latest release)

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hello Everyone!

You will notice quite a few changes from my 2017 version compared to my 2018 version. I have recently adopted the use of several great programs in my configuration that I enjoy using!

First up is Macrium Reflect (MR) V7.1.2.817 Free. I enjoy using viBoot 2 in MR and I highly recommend that everyone check this software out! MR has progressed tremendously over the past few years and I enjoy using this software. I have also upgraded my Acronis True Image software to 2018. The 2018 version of Acronis True Image introduced many new features that I enjoy using and I have peace of mind when creating backup images.

You will also notice that I still have AOMEI Backupper Professional and Clonezilla. While I enjoy using both of these pieces of software Acronis and MR have taken the priority for data backup and system images.

Just recently I have adopted the use of Zemana Antilogger Premium. Zemana Antilogger Premium puts me at ease with regards to keylogging. Zemana Antilogger Premium is more robust than Zemana Antimalware for obvious reasons.

I have also adopted the full use of Voodoo Shield Premium in conjunction with Norton Security Premium and Zemana Anti-Logger Premium. I do not have any system slowdowns nor incompatibility issues.

In addition to this I have stopped using Piriform products after some hiccups that the company had. From now on I am sticking to Windows built in tools, Norton's tools, and WiseCare 365 Pro. I'm using Hard Disk Sentinel Pro [Lifetime License/Latest Version] to keep track of my SSDs and HDDs in my system. Hard Disk Sentinel Pro is amazing software that I'd highly recommend to everyone.

Another piece of software that I would highly recommend to everyone is Shadow Defender [Lifetime License/Latest Version]. This software used in conjunction with VMware Workstation Pro 14.1.0 build-7370693 is amazing for testing software, malware, viruses etc. One has to use a lot of caution though when conducting testing! If you have read my posts you will know how parinoid I am when testing and for good reasons.

Please let me know your thoughts about my security configuration!

Thanks,

Brian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Portable Applications currently in use:

BleachBit (Portable & Free) Download: Clean Your System and Free Disk Space | BleachBit

Zemana AntiMalware (Portable & Free) Download: Anti-Malware Download | Zemana

Windows Repair from Tweaking.com (Portable & Free) Download: Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free/Pro

7-Zip (Portable well I made it portable, but the download can be found here & Free): 7-Zip

Revo Uninstaller (Pro Portable – Revo makes a free portable version too): Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

Norton Power Eraser (Portable & Free): Norton Rescue Tools

Malwarebytes JRT (Portable & Free & Discontinued [still good for finding nasty stuff, but the end of life is April 26, 2018]): Junkware Removal Tool

AdwCleaner from Malwarebytes (Portable & Free & it is the replacement for JRT): AdwCleaner

Emsisoft Emergency Toolkit (Portable & Free): Emsisoft | Emergency Kit: Free Portable Malware Scan and Removal

Last edited:

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Strong config. Nothing to add.
Thanks for sharing :)

@brod56 Thanks! I like to keep a tight ship and keeper' locked down nice and good.

You are prepared with so many backup programs.
Good configuration Thanks for sharing.(y)

@bribon77 Indeed I do! Thanks! I like to make sure if something could squeak through I am prepared with a backup just in case. In addition to this, I have fail safe secondary cleanup tools in place should something squak by this way too.

D

Deleted member 65228

Real-time Malware Protection: Norton Security Premium (Custom Settings) | Voodoo Shield Premium | Zemana Anti-Logger PremiumOn-demand Scanners: Malwarebytes Premium (Lifetime) | Norton Power Eraser | AdwCleaner | Hitman Pro | Emsisoft EEK

You're using Norton Security Premium so you don't need to use Norton Power Eraser on-demand, and you're using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on-demand and they bought out AdwCleaner - they later implemented the technology into their own product - so you don't need to use AdwCleaner either.

References:
Malwarebytes acquires AdwCleaner - Malwarebytes Labs

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
You're using Norton Security Premium so you don't need to use Norton Power Eraser on-demand, and you're using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on-demand and they bought out AdwCleaner - they later implemented the technology into their own product - so you don't need to use AdwCleaner either.

References:
Malwarebytes acquires AdwCleaner - Malwarebytes Labs

@Opcode

Thanks for your comment. I use Norton Power Eraser to keep everything in check for Norton. Norton has this on-demand scanner built into the suite and I thought I list it off as a scanner that I do use in conjunction with Norton. While it may seem redundant it is best to keep everything in check in my humble opinion.

Thank for noting that Malwarebytes bought out AdwCleaner. I have been aware of this for quite some time. However, I like to run AdwCleaner on its own every once in a while to once again make sure Malwarebytes is in check. Yes, I'm paranoid; however, one cannot take security too overboard. Believe me in saying that keeping everything in check and balanced is the best thing for security. Yes redundancy may not be needed, but hey I rather be the guy that has redundancy and not have any security issues than be the person who doesn’t and has a back door wide open.

Thanks for your insight and great comment!

~Brian

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Edit to Config: Forgot to add one my favorite pieces of software -- SecureMyBit & SecureMyBit DHScan! @JM Security is the man! Hats off to you good man! Thanks for providing such great software and for providing great security tools. (y)(y)(y)

I also want to thank the amazing @frogboy @Winter Soldier and Rishi! Thank you all for proving great security!

Last edited:

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Updated Security Configuration:

Forgot to add one of my favorite programs in my 2018 setup! GlassWire Elite: Lifetime License for 10 computers!

upload_2018-1-18_13-50-36.png

What a great tool this is! I got this through a great sale a long time ago and wow! I am happy to have this great software. Yes, it may be a bit "over kill"; however, I never have to worry as much now with this handy tool!

What tools am I looking into implementing soon?

Sandboxie Pro!

What This Great Software Does

Sandboxie uses isolation technology to separate programs from your underlying operating system preventing unwanted changes from happening to your personal data, programs and applications that rest safely on your hard drive.

Web Browsing

Secure your favorite web browser and block malicious software, viruses, ransom-ware and zero day threats by isolating such attacks in the Sandbox; leaving your system protected

Email
Run your favorite email program in Sandboxie so you never have to worry about suspicious attachments or spear phishing attacks

Data Protection
Sandboxie prevents internet websites and programs from modifying your personal data (i.e. My Documents), files & folders on your system

Application Testing
Safely test and try new programs and applications within Sandboxie and prevent unauthorized changes to your underlying system that may occur

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Updated Security Configuration:

Forgot to add one of my favorite programs in my 2018 setup! GlassWire Elite: Lifetime License for 10 computers!

What a great tool this is! I got this through a great sale a long time ago and wow! I am happy to have this great software. Yes, it may be a bit "over kill"; however, I never have to worry as much now with this handy tool!

What tools am I looking into implementing soon?

Sandboxie Pro!

What This Great Software Does

Sandboxie uses isolation technology to separate programs from your underlying operating system preventing unwanted changes from happening to your personal data, programs and applications that rest safely on your hard drive.

Web Browsing

Secure your favorite web browser and block malicious software, viruses, ransom-ware and zero day threats by isolating such attacks in the Sandbox; leaving your system protected

Email
Run your favorite email program in Sandboxie so you never have to worry about suspicious attachments or spear phishing attacks

Data Protection
Sandboxie prevents internet websites and programs from modifying your personal data (i.e. My Documents), files & folders on your system

Application Testing
Safely test and try new programs and applications within Sandboxie and prevent unauthorized changes to your underlying system that may occur
I think it' s a really good and secure firewall but also a reliable network monitor and it can be a solid line of defense against malware that connect to the internet.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I think it' s a really good and secure firewall but also a reliable network monitor and it can be a solid line of defense against malware that connect to the internet.

@tim one Thanks! Indeed you are correct! I really enjoy using this software and I have deployed it out to all of my home computers to make sure everything is very tight. No issues with any other software in my config. - especially no issues with Norton. Both Norton and GlassWire Elite live in harmony!

Do you have any experience with Sandboxie? I used the free version a ton, but I'm wanting a bit more of the pro features now and I'm thinking of deploying it out to my computers. I'd be interested in your thoughts or if anyone else has used it please feel free to chime in!

~Brian

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
@tim one Thanks! Indeed you are correct! I really enjoy using this software and I have deployed it out to all of my home computers to make sure everything is very tight. No issues with any other software in my config. - especially no issues with Norton. Both Norton and GlassWire Elite live in harmony!

Do you have any experience with Sandboxie? I used the free version a ton, but I'm wanting a bit more of the pro features now and I'm thinking of deploying it out to my computers. I'd be interested in your thoughts or if anyone else has used it please feel free to chime in!

~Brian
I use SB to surf more safely and the freeware version is enough for the normal needs.
I've set the auto deletion of the sandbox when you close the browser and, even if the sandbox mechanism could (hardly) be bypassed, SB guarantees a good isolation from maliciuos javascript and malvertising ;)

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I use SB to surf more safely and the freeware version is enough for the normal needs.
I've set the auto deletion of the sandbox when you close the browser and, even if the sandbox mechanism could (hardly) be bypassed, SB guarantees a good isolation from maliciuos javascript and malvertising ;)
Sandboxie is referred as freeware because the unregistered version allows you to use almost all the features found in the full version.
The paid version doesn't have the nag screen and you can use multiple sandboxes at the same time, and if I well remember you have the function "Forced folders" and "Forced programs" (to open or run automatically in the sandbox folders, and applications).

It is good to support the developers, but you can consider using the free version, absolutely valid for a normal and safe use ;)

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Its setup sounds pretty solid, its extensions are good too, but if you ever want to test something different from the ones you use for privacy, I recommend testing Ghostery (y)

Reactions: Lightning_Brian

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Down with Google and up with DuckDuckGo, the best search engine!

I'm also bullish on hard Disk Sentinel Pro. It saved from having a hard drive die on me before I knew to shut it down and get a replacement.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Down with Google and up with DuckDuckGo, the best search engine!

I'm also bullish on hard Disk Sentinel Pro. It saved from having a hard drive die on me before I knew to shut it down and get a replacement.

@conceptualclarity Couldn't agree more with you! We bought a version of Hard Disk Sentinel Pro (HDSP) to use at my company to let us know if any HDDs are failing and golly this has saved us from any headaches of having to buy replacements. We use enterprise grade material, but it is good to know when a HDD is going to go out before it truly does go out. Granted we do not have to worry so much about HDDs failing with our current setup with RAID, backups, failover/failsafes etc. in place. However, having a good heads up never hurts to get some new hardware in house to replace it out. I belive comss.ru offered the latest version 5.01 for free (standard version) not long ago. This could still be the case too!

Link: Hard Disk Sentinel - бесплатная лицензия

Great software to add to any config. Plus, there is SSD support for any of those using SSDs. I once had a person ask me this and indeed this company does support SSDs. Much of our equipment uses SSDs for information that rarely changes and HDDs for information that changes quite fast. SSDs for stuff that doesn't change and HDDs for information that is constantly or consistently changing. That is my philosophy for SSD/HDD usage.

~Brian

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hello Everyone!

I was asked by a few people to include a portable application list; therefore, I have attached this to my configuration. See below the dashed line (--------) in my config.

This list may change a bit as I do not have my master flash drive with all of my tech. tools on me right now.

Thanks!

Brian

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.