Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Norton Security Premium, Zemana Antilogger Premium, VoodooShield Premium
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Norton Power Eraser (NPE), Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes, Zemana Antilogger Premium
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox: HTTPS Everywhere, AdGuard AdBlocker, Windscribe VPN, Norton Safe Web, NoScript, and every once in a while uBlock Origin to compare against Adguard AdBlocker
Maintenance tools
7-Zip, Adguard Premium, AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Pro Edition (latest stable), AOMEI Parition Assistant Pro Edition (latest stable), GlassWire Elite (latest release), Hard Disk Sentinel Pro (latest release), Wise Care 365, VMware Workstation Pro 15 (latest release), Windscribe, Macrium Reflect Free (latest release), AOMEI Backupper Pro (latest release), Acronis True Image 2019 (Paid and latest release), Shadow Defender [Lifetime License/Latest Release], Sandboxie (Paid), Windows Repair from Tweaking.com (Free), BleachBit (Portable & Free), Zemana AntiMalware (Portable & Free), Revo Uninstaller v4 (Pro Portable - Paid), Malwarebytes JRT (Portable & Free & Discontinued [still good for finding nasty stuff, but the end of life was April 26, 2018]), SecureMyBit DHScan, viBoot from Macrium Reflect (latest stable)
File and Photo backup
NA - Looking into a new solution at the moment!
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Free (latest stable), AOMEI Backupper Pro (Paid and latest stable), Acronis True Image 2019 (Paid and latest release)

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hello Everyone!

Please see the changes that I have made to my confguration below:

Utilities added:
  • Sandboxie: I have added Sandboxie to my security configuration to lock everything down a bit more - one cannot be too safe!
Utilities Updated:
Browser Add-ons:
  • Bitdefender TrafficLight
  • Norton Safe Web (testing it right now)

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

Brian

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Hello Everyone!

Please see the changes that I have made to my confguration below:

Utilities added:
  • Sandboxie: I have added Sandboxie to my security configuration to lock everything down a bit more - one cannot be too safe!
Utilities Updated:
Browser Add-ons:
  • Bitdefender TrafficLight
  • Norton Safe Web (testing it right now)

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

Brian
You don't need both addons imo.

Hello Everyone!

I'm currently testing out Avira Phantom VPN. Seems like a nice VPN. I have done some reading about the Avira Phantom VPN and it seems solid from a security standpoint. What are your thoughts? Have any of you used Avira Phantom VPN?

Thanks!

~Brian
using it on my malware testing VMs, it's pretty good, don't have issues with it. Avira is from Germany so privacy wise should be okay.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
You don't need both addons imo.

using it on my malware testing VMs, it's pretty good, don't have issues with it. Avira is from Germany so privacy wise should be okay.

@mekelek Good deal! Yeah, Avira is a good German company that has been around for a very long time. Depending on how the speed factor goes I may end up making this my primary VPN after I finish up my testing with it. What is your opinion about Phantom VPN Pro vs Windscribe Pro?

Thanks,

Brian

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
@mekelek Good deal! Yeah, Avira is a good German company that has been around for a very long time. Depending on how the speed factor goes I may end up making this my primary VPN after I finish up my testing with it. What is your opinion about Phantom VPN Pro vs Windscribe Pro?

Thanks,

Brian
never extensively used windscribe so can't comment on that.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Phantom VPN Pro vs Windscribe Pro? You can use both, of course not at the same time ... Although I think Phantom VPN Pro is faster.

Bitdefender TrafficLight
Norton Safe Web
With both at the same time, you can see conflicts

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Phantom VPN Pro vs Windscribe Pro? You can use both, of course not at the same time ... Although I think Phantom VPN Pro is faster.

Bitdefender TrafficLight
Norton Safe Web
With both at the same time, you can see conflicts

@bribon77 Thanks for the insight! I do agree that Phantom VPN Pro is indeed faster than Windscribe Pro - at least it is for me. Perhaps, because of locations or perhaps of how everything is set up with their application.

As for Bitdefender TrafficLight and Norton Safe web -- I honestly haven't had any conflicts between the two add-ons. However, this isn't to say that others would have the exact same results. Thank for mentioning that.

Do you have any other advise for my security config? I think I have everything really locked down, but appreciate your opinion.

~Brian

D

Deleted member 178

Norton Security Premium, Zemana Antilogger Premium, VoodooShield Premium, sandboxie, shadow defender
Overkill...when you use a suite with a BB (sonar in this case), you don't need additional tools like HIPS/anti-exe/anti-logger...
Just Norton IS + Sandboxie is already more than secure if setup properly, the rest is wasted resources.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Overkill...when you use a suite with a BB (sonar in this case), you don't need additional tools like HIPS/anti-exe/anti-logger...
Just Norton IS + Sandboxie is already more than secure if setup properly, the rest is wasted resources.

@Umbra It is a bit overkill, but everything works nicely and I haven't had any conflicts at all. The Sonar technology provided by Norton is great. I do agree I may not need the additional tools as those tools may be chewing up my resources. However, I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to security. Norton Security Premium offers some great security in my humble opinion - as you have mentioned Norton and Sandboxie together make a good combination.

Good luck to anything that does try to hit me though! I do not believe anything would be able to survive on my system with all of the security, customization, and major tweaking to lock down my system.

Do you have any advise in regards to the addons for FireFox?

~Brian

Reactions: harlan4096
D

Deleted member 178

Norton Security Premium offers some great security in my humble opinion - as you have mentioned Norton and Sandboxie together make a good combination.
all of the security, customization, and major tweaking to lock down my system.
So you rather harden your OS with tools like NVT SysHardener and keep NIS + Sandboxie, rather than all those 3rd party apps.

Do you have any advise in regards to the addons for FireFox?
Nope, i don't like FF, i prefer Chrome. even in Chrome i use few security addons, only Netcraft.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hello Everyone!

Just made the jump to 1803. Everything is rolling nice and stable. I didn't want to make the jump too fast as there is always a few bugs once a new build is released.

Those who use Shadow Defender there is a new release out. So far so good! Always a great program to try stuff out; however, I still use a virtualized environment for my main testing.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Thanks,

Brian

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
What are your thoughts about No Coin? Link: No Coin – Add-ons for Firefox

Personally, I feel like it would be a welcomed addition to my config. However, do you think its needed for my config? Would there be something else that you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Brian

Reactions: JM Safe

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
What are your thoughts about No Coin? Link: No Coin – Add-ons for Firefox

Personally, I feel like it would be a welcomed addition to my config. However, do you think its needed for my config? Would there be something else that you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Brian
I think too extensions could case vulnerabilities and instabilities, but blocking miners while browsing is very important. You can add it;)

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hi All!

I'm currently evaluating a tried and true password manager - RoboForm for business. Link: RoboForm for Business, Password Manager for Business

There are some serious goodies in the password manager that I'm really liking.

Security: RoboForm Security, secure sharing, password sharing

Features: Password Manager for Business, Form filler, RoboForm for Business

Now I know some of you are probably thinking to yourselves "Why is he trying out the business side of RoboFrom?!?!?!" Lets just say I did the same thing.... However, take a look at this handy comparison: Compare RoboForm, RoboForm for business

1532198937659.png

Then compare this to the "personal stuff":

1532198989814.png

I know many people are big fans of LastPass. However, I cannot (for the life of me and believe me I tried) get over the fact that the company had some fairly major oversights occur over the past decade or so. Therefore, I will not be converted to the "other side" (as I call it) and use LastPass.

Out of curiosity does anyone know of a fantastic, widely used, and highly trusted replacement for Google Authenticator that can easily be backed up online/offline in case a phone would puke out or what not? I know of a few, but I wanted to ask all of you bright and intelligent folks of MalwareTips!

Thanks!!

Brian

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I like bitwarden as password manager
Only downside from now is just that it doesnt support pale moon(yet), but few from here are using bitwarden

Hi @Moonhorse Thanks for the reply! Bitwarden is quite cool too. I have demoed the password manager out in the past. Lots of good features within that password manager too. For me, I feel like I keep going back to my roots which is RoboForm. However, Bitwarden is making some good strides their password manager as well.

Thanks for the post!

~Brian

Reactions: Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Hi @Moonhorse Thanks for the reply! Bitwarden is quite cool too. I have demoed the password manager out in the past. Lots of good features within that password manager too. For me, I feel like I keep going back to my roots which is RoboForm. However, Bitwarden is making some good strides their password manager as well.

Thanks for the post!

~Brian
I have never used password manager myself, but started using bitwarden month or two ago and been liking it so far.

Reactions: CyberTech

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hello Everyone!!

I wanted to post a few updates to my configuration/security build here:

New Software:

Upgraded: Acronis True Image 2019 (latest release)
Upgraded: VMware Workstation Pro 15 (latest release) 15.0.0 build-10134415
Upgraded: Revo Uninstaller to v4 (latest release) [I'm keeping v3.2.1 as that is the last release that supported legacy systems that has become discontinued. However, I don't really use any of those systems - just nice to have as it is a perpetual license]
Upgraded: AOMEI Backupper Professional Edition to v4.5.2
Upgraded: Hard Disk Sentinel to v5.30
Upgraded: Windscribe to v1.83
Upgraded: GlassWire Elite software to v2.0.123

Other software upgrades were more minor

Windows 10 Build:

Edition: Windows 10 Home (thinking about going to Pro, but the cost is a little high still)
Version: 1803 (still)
OS Build: 17134.345

Malwarebytes:

Should I jump to v3.6.1 released September 19, 2018? With all of the update fails we had from previous builds I have been holding off. I have the professional version of Malwarebytes with real time protection turned off as I don't want my system resources hogged up (even though with 16 GB of RAM this isn't a large worry).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.