Operating system
Windows 10
Log-in security
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Norton Security Premium (paid - latest release), VoodooShield Premium (paid - latest release - note: not always 100% on)
Firewall security
About custom security
Custom firewall rules

SONAR set to aggressive

Boot time protection Aggressive

Custom scans set at various times - multiple custom scans

Blocking traffic for malicious applications - set to aggressive
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Paid - real time disabled - using as needed)

**Searching for new periodic scanners. Not liking the current ones. Will not use Kaspersky (reasoning below)**
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox: HTTPS Everywhere, AdGuard AdBlocker, Windscribe VPN, and NoScript
Maintenance tools
Maintenance tools:

Backup Software (or similar):
  • AOMEI Backupper Pro (paid - latest release)
    • AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Pro Edition (paid - latest stable - lifetime license) – Updating disk information and management
    • AOMEI Parition Assistant Pro Edition (paid - latest stable - lifetime license) – Updating disk information and management
  • Macrium Reflect Free (free - latest release)
    • viBoot from Macrium Reflect (free - latest stable) – Please read more about viBoot here before commenting on it: Macrium viBoot
      • In short (their wording not mine):Macrium viBoot enables you to instantly create, start and manage Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machines using one or more Macrium Reflect image files as the basis of the virtual machine storage sub-system.
      • At a minimum, viBoot enables you to boot into the images you have made using Macrium Reflect, for validation purposes, or to retrieve data from old applications stored on a bootable image. At an enterprise level, you could recover an entire network environment in minutes.
      • Macrium viBoot is now built upon new technology that allows it to instantly present a Macrium Reflect image file as a Microsoft Virtual Disk (.VHDX) file.
  • Acronis True Image 2021 (paid and latest release - perpetual license for v2021)
Yes, I use three different backup tools. No, I do not use all three at the same time, same day, or for exactly the same reason. If you get stung by one backup going bad you will get why I use three. Plus, all three have some very unique and nice features. Check these out! Questions – please read about the tools prior to asking! Thanks!

Cleaning Utilities:
  • Glary Utilities PRO (paid and latest release)
  • Windows 10 built in tools
Virtualization Tools:
  • VMware Workstation Pro 16 (paid - latest release - perpetual license for v16)
    • Additional Tools to lock things down further:
      • Shadow Defender [Lifetime License/Latest Release]
      • Sandboxie (paid and latest release) – Note: As of late Sandboxie is now free.
Adblocker:
  • Adguard Premium (paid - latest release - lifetime license)
  • Similar, but mainly used as a VPN: Windscribe Pro (paid - latest release - lifetime license)
VPN
  • Windscribe Pro (paid - latest release - lifetime license)
  • Avira Phantom VPN (secondary VPN not main VPN at all) – BETA TESTING
Networking – You can do so much to this tool its simply amazing!
Hard Drive Tool (Been Using for Many Years):
Software Removal Tool:
  • Revo Uninstaller v4 (Pro Portable - Paid - Paid for 2 years of updates!)
Windows Repair (Not Always Using Here Folks – Mainly For Some Minor Repairs Before Clean Install)
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect Free (free - latest stable), AOMEI Backupper Pro (paid and latest stable), Acronis True Image 2021 (paid and latest release)
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Free (free - latest stable), AOMEI Backupper Pro (paid and latest stable), Acronis True Image 2021 (paid and latest release)
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Gaming
    • Downloading malware samples
Computer specs
Custom build!

CPU - Intel i7-8700k CPU @ 3.70 GHz
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 @ 8 GB GDDR5X
RAM - 64 GB DDR4 - 63.8 GB Usable!
SSD - Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E500BW)
HDD - WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD2003FZEX
Notable changes
Notable Updates for 2020 as of 2-9-2020:

Upgraded to the new Norton 360 Premium - Antivirus software for 10 Devices - Includes VPN, PC Cloud Backup etc. etc.

Upgraded to the latest AOMEI Backupper - Version 5.6 (Released 1-14-2020)

Upgraded to the latest AOMEI Partition Assistant - Version 8.6 (Released 12-20-2019)

Upgraded to the latest Build 22510 released 11-21-2019 for Acronis True Image 2020 (which is update 2 for Windows)

Upgraded to the latest VMWare Workstation 15 Pro which is 15.5.1 build-15018445

Notable Changes for 7-17-2020:

Major Changes:
  • Upgraded to Windows 10 2004
  • Upgraded to the latest release of Acronis True Image 2020 (paid and latest release - perpetual license for v2020)
  • Upgraded to the latest release of Adguard Premium which is v7.4.2 (paid - latest release - lifetime license)
  • Upgraded to the latest release of AOMEI Backupper Pro which is v5.8 (paid - latest release)
  • Upgraded to the latest release of AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Pro Edition which is v8.8 (paid - latest stable - lifetime license)
  • Upgraded to the latest release of AOMEI Parition Assistant Pro Edition which is v8.8 (paid - latest stable - lifetime license)
  • Upgraded to the latest release of Glary Utilities PRO which is v5.146.0.172 (paid and latest release)
  • Upgraded to the latest release of GlassWire Elite which is v2.2.210 (paid - latest release/stable)
  • Upgraded to the latest release of Hard Disk Sentinel Pro which is v5.61 (paid - latest release - lifetime license)
  • Revo Uninstaller v4 which is on the release of 4.3.3 (Pro Portable - Paid - Paid for 2 years of updates!)
  • viBoot from Macrium Reflect to release of v7.2.4971 (free - latest stable)
  • Upgraded to the latest release of VMware Workstation Pro 15 to release v15.5 (paid - latest release - perpetual license for v15)
  • Upgraded to the latest release of VoodooShield Premium which is v5.7x
  • Upgraded to the latest release of Sticky Password which is v8.2.3.43
  • Upgraded to the latest release of RoboForm for Business which is v8.9.0.0
Currently looking at the following (may discontinue using):
  • SecureMyBit DHScan – Is this still being developed or is it discontinued?
  • Zemana AntiMalware (Portable & Free) – Any development from the latest release which was from a while back?
  • Upgraded to the latest release of Sandboxie (latest release) – not liking how development is going…or lack thereof
Discontinued use of the following:
  • Malwarebytes JRT (Portable & Free & Discontinued [still good for finding nasty stuff, but the end of life was April 26, 2018])
  • AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes – will revisit at a later date
  • Zemana Antilogger Premium (paid - latest release - using as needed) – Is this still being developed or is it discontinued?
Notable Changes for 7-19-2020
  • Removal of Periodic Scanner: Norton Power Eraser (NPE) (Same as my main AV)
  • Removed/Discontinued BleachBit (Portable & Free) – JM needs to confirm if this is still being updated or not (doesn’t appear as though it is)
  • Removed/Discontinued: SecureMyBit DHScan – JM needs to confirm if this is still being updated or not (doesn’t appear as though it is)
  • Removed/Discontinued: Zemana AntiMalware (Portable & Free) – doesn’t appear as though development is continuing
  • Removed/Discontinued: Malwarebytes JRT (Portable & Free & Discontinued [still good for finding nasty stuff, but the end of life was April 26, 2018])
  • Reorganized my maintenance tools (explain the tools a bit better as some folks are getting confused, not understanding correctly, or not following). See below:
Maintenance tools:

Backup Software (or similar):

• AOMEI Backupper Pro (paid - latest release)
  • AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Pro Edition (paid - latest stable - lifetime license) – Updating disk information and management
  • AOMEI Parition Assistant Pro Edition (paid - latest stable - lifetime license) – Updating disk information and management
  • Macrium Reflect Free (free - latest release)
  • viBoot from Macrium Reflect (free - latest stable) – Please read more about viBoot here before commenting on it: Macrium viBoot
  • In short (their wording not mine):
  • Macrium viBoot enables you to instantly create, start and manage Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machines using one or more Macrium Reflect image files as the basis of the virtual machine storage sub-system. At a minimum, viBoot enables you to boot into the images you have made using Macrium Reflect, for validation purposes, or to retrieve data from old applications stored on a bootable image. At an enterprise level, you could recover an entire network environment in minutes. Macrium viBoot is now built upon new technology that allows it to instantly present a Macrium Reflect image file as a Microsoft Virtual Disk (.VHDX) file.
  • Acronis True Image 2020 (paid and latest release - perpetual license for v2020)
Yes, I use three different backup tools. No, I do not use all three at the same time, same day, or for exactly the same reason. If you get stung by one backup going bad you will get why I use three. Plus, all three have some very unique and nice features. Check these out! Questions – please read about the tools prior to asking! Thanks!

Cleaning Utilities:

• Glary Utilities PRO (paid and latest release)
  • Windows 10 built in tools
Virtualization Tools:
  • VMware Workstation Pro 15 (paid - latest release - perpetual license for v15)
  • Additional Tools to lock things down further:
  • Shadow Defender [Lifetime License/Latest Release]
  • Sandboxie (paid and latest release) – Note: As of late Sandboxie is now free.
Adblocker:
  • Adguard Premium (paid - latest release - lifetime license)
  • Similar, but mainly used as a VPN: Windscribe Pro (paid - latest release - lifetime license)
VPN
  • Windscribe Pro (paid - latest release - lifetime license)
  • Avira Phantom VPN (secondary VPN not main VPN at all) – BETA TESTING
Networking – You can do so much to this tool its simply amazing!
Hard Drive Tool (Been Using for Many Years):
Software Removal Tool:
  • Revo Uninstaller v4 (Pro Portable - Paid - Paid for 2 years of updates!)
Windows Repair (Not Always Using Here Folks – Mainly For Some Minor Repairs Before Clean Install)
  • Windows Repair from Tweaking.com (Free)
Notable Changes for 9-13-2020:

Upgraded Acronis True Image from v2020 to v2021.

New features/changes of Acronis True Image v2021 can be found here:
Link: Release notes - List of Changes - 42226

Upgraded AOMEI Backupper from v5.9 to v6.0

New features/changes of AOMEI Backupper v6.0 can be found here:
Link: Changelog – AOMEI Backupper

Upgraded Macrium Reflect v7 to the latest edition (free - latest release)

New features/changes of Macrium Reflect v7 can be found here:
Link: Macrium Reflect Patch Details

Upgraded GlassWire to the latest stable release which is v2.2.241

New features/changes of GlassWire v2.2.241 can be found here:
Link: GlassWire Software Version Changes List

Upgraded Shadow Defender from v1.4 to v1.5

New features/changes of Shadow Defender v1.5 can be found here:
Link: Shadow Defender - the easiest PC/laptop security and privacy protection tool

Upgraded VMware Workstation Pro 15 from v15.5.5 to v15.5.6

New features/changes of VMware Workstation Pro v15.5.6 can be found here:
Link: VMware Workstation 15.5.6 Pro Release Notes

Upgraded Revo Uninstaller Pro Portable from v4.3.1 to v4.3.3

New features/changes of Revo Uninstaller Pro Portable Pro v4.3.3 can be found here:
Link: Revo Uninstaller Pro - History

Adguard Premium (paid - latest release - lifetime license) upgraded from v7.4.2 to latest build which is v7.5.1

New features/changes of Adguard Premium v7.5.1 can be found here:
Link: Versions history | AdGuard

Upgraded RoboForm for Windows RoboForm for Business (highly secure and locked down) from v8.9.1 to latest release which is v8.9.2.

New features/changes of RoboForm for Windows RoboForm for Business v8.9.2 can be found here:
Link: RoboForm for Windows Version News

Big system change to computer specifications:

Previous config for RAM:
RAM - 48 GB DDR4 - 47.8 GB Usable!

Latest config for RAM:
RAM - 64 GB DDR4 - 63.8 GB Usable!

I upgraded from 48 GB to 64 GB as I'm doing a lot more professional work on my computer that requires that bump in RAM. I will not get into all of the specifics in the changelog area, but it mainly involves virtualization, multitasking, and RAM intensive programs. I now have 4 x 16 GB DDR4 DIMMs.

Changes made 11-7-2020

Major Changes:

Upgraded Windows 10 to build/version 2009

Upgraded VMware Workstation Pro 15 from v15.5.6 to major release version 16!!

Link: VMware Workstation 16 Pro Release Notes

Yes, I know I paid a pretty penny on this. I know I will never regret it given my career field and everything that I do.

I can concur that everything is nice and snappy on v16 and the improvements are easily noticeable. I know I recently added RAM, but things are flying in the new version. Some things are eh'. I think those are widely known that I don't need to repeat that stuff here. As noted in the release notes above I am noticing the same thing here:

Performance Improvements

• Improved file transfer speeds (Drag and Drop, Copy and Paste)
  • Improved virtual machine shutdown time.
  • Improved virtual NVMe storage performance.

Other notable changes:

Upgraded AOMEI Backupper from v6.0 to v6.1

New features/changes of AOMEI Backupper v6.0 can be found here:

Link: Changelog – AOMEI Backupper

Upgraded Macrium Reflect v7 to the latest edition (free - latest release)

New features/changes of Macrium Reflect v7 can be found here:

Link: Macrium Reflect Patch Details

Upgraded GlassWire to the latest stable release which is v2.2.260

New features/changes of GlassWire v2.2.260 can be found here:

Link: GlassWire Software Version Changes List

Upgraded Revo Uninstaller Pro Portable from v4.3.3 to v4.3.8

New features/changes of Revo Uninstaller Pro Portable Pro v4.3.8 can be found here:

Link: Revo Uninstaller Pro - History

Adguard Premium (paid - latest release - lifetime license) upgraded from v7.5.1 to latest build which is v7.5.2

New features/changes of Adguard Premium v7.5.2 can be found here:

Link: Versions history | AdGuard

Upgraded RoboForm for Windows RoboForm for Business (highly secure and locked down) from v8.9.2 to latest release which is v8.9.5.

New features/changes of RoboForm for Windows RoboForm for Business v8.9.5 can be found here:

Link: RoboForm for Windows Version News
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup may cause performance issues, system instability or conflicts between programs, and can hinder the effectiveness of the installed antivirus products.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hello Everyone at MT!

Hope everyone is having a great day! Here is my 2020 build. I keep fairly current without many changes compared to my last update from Nov. 2019. I will highlight some changes in the change log section so you can see what I have changed in the last few months.

Let me know your thoughts of my setup!

Thanks!
Brian

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hello Everyone!

Additional notes here:

As noted in my previous 2019 build -- VDS will remain in the "active" department, but I don't always have it "activated" in the since of real time - more or less 60-40% here. Dan has done some great work on that software and I totally support him. Dan's the man!

Bit Note: Norton has remained in my setup as the family suite of BitDefender can cause issues if someone decides to delete another family member's computer in the console... Still looking into moving over to BitDefender though. I use BD in my enterprise for my enterprise security. BD GravityZone is a nice security suite especially with all of the add-ons that and other nifty stuff BD has that Norton does not.

Cheers friends!
Brian

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Nice collection of system utilities to check out

Norton or bitdefender, those are both good enough so just go with the family suite ( control center & dashboard) you feel most comfortable to work with

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Norton Security Premium (paid - latest release) + VoodooShield Premium (paid - latest release) => overkill :unsure:

Hi @harlan4096 ! Please note as I have said above VDS will remain in the "active" department, but I don't always have it "activated" in the since of real time - more or less we are looking at Norton being activated 60% or more of the time. Now if both are on at the same time I would say it is overkill. haha With VoodooShield on I have Norton in "off"/disabled mode.

Nice collection of system utilities to check out

Norton or bitdefender, those are both good enough so just go with the family suite ( control center & dashboard) you feel most comfortable to work with

Thanks @Moonhorse ! Indeed I have quite a few utilities for sure. All have their purpose in my technology tool chest I would say. I have paid some serious $$$$$ for the tools that are paid which is quite a few.

Norton and BD are really tight as far as security. I would go with BD if the control center didn't give others in the family the capabilities to delete other computers. Therefore, Norton it is - for now at least. Would be nice if BD had a control center similar to GravityZone for licensing - that way other family members cannot play around with licensing of computers.

~Brian

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
A few things I wanna mention:

This is huge overkill, you have 7 programs with real time protection, Glasswire, Norton, VDS, Shadow Defender, Adguard, Zemana Antilogger and Malwarebytes Premium, and if you though you have disabled some of these, whats the point of paying for them?

You dont need the adguard extension if you have adguard for desktop.

You dont need multiplie data backup/restore utilities.

Last edited:

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
This is huge overkill, you have 7 programs with real time protection, Glasswire, Norton, VDS, Shadow Defender, Adguard, Zemana Antilogger and Malwarebytes Premium, and if you though you have disabled some of these, whats the point of paying for them?
With so much RAM, not 7, but 27 real-time protection programs can be launched :) Another question is how to resolve program conflicts, if any.

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019

FYI The Adguard extension switches to Integration mode if you have the desktop software and you can use it instead of the Assistant if you wish.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017

Hello @EndangeredPootis !

Thanks for reaching out. Are you aware how Glasswire differs from the other programs? I expanded upon this in my 2019 posting. Here is some more information here about Glasswire: GlassWire Network Security Monitor & Firewall Tool Features

The feature set of Glasswire is what makes this software super cool and in my humble opinion quite excellent. Yeah, some software that I do own may overlap with Glasswire, but the overall vast feature set does not.

Now this may not happen too often, but you can understand why I take the precautions that I do. Have a read here: Discuss - A malware defeating a Sandbox, a VM and an AV - Case Study.

I will let you all in on a fact: a few of the programs that is marked as "PAID" I actually received directly from the manufacture a lifetime license for testing that I have done with them or though various bug reports or even through a very short lived promotion that offered lifetime licenses. I believe I may have mentioned this in my other configurations as well.

While I can get your point about AdGuard and understand it. For me, having both turned on and working in tandem has never caused any issues.

As for the "You dont need multiplie data backup/restore utilities." I would have to say if I didn't have a backup fail on me many years ago I would agree. However, until you get burned once you will never fully appreciate having more than one backup utility. I got burned using EaseUS. I'm not knocking the software at all by any means, but one of the backups failed miserably. Luckily I didn't lose much data at all - in fact quite little. However, it was the experience of the backup failing that lead me down the road of using more than one backup software. Here is the posting I had a while back about backup software: SECURE: Complete - Lightning_Brian's 2019 Security Config.

Here is what I said in that posting:

So someone out there is bound to say "Brian why in the world do you use so many backup tools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????" Simple answer: Trust issues.... LOL! When you get burned once....Youch!! You wouldn't want that to ever happen again. I keep a good rolling backup. Macrium Reflect for a full system and data at least once a week. Acronis True Image - for a full system and data backup at least a different day of the week. AOMEI Backuppper Pro - for a full system and data backup at least a different day of the week.

I don't want to go into great detail what is backed up each day by each application, but I use two applications for continual backup to a rather large 256 GB double encrypted USB 3.1 flash drive. For a full data backup I have a rather large external drive that I use for backups and from there that gets duplicated out in a 3 + 2 + 1 format with high levels of encryption.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@show-Zi - friend - I hope the above post helps answer your questions about my backup methods.

@HarborFront Glad you now know why I use what I use! haha Link: Discuss - A malware defeating a Sandbox, a VM and an AV - Case Study. Granted I hope that scenario never happens to anyone.

With so much RAM, not 7, but 27 real-time protection programs can be launched :) Another question is how to resolve program conflicts, if any.

@SFox ,

I wouldn't say 27 real-time protection software is launched all at once at the same time. The main security software that is consistently running is Norton 360. Now for the rest of the software would be utilities. The main utilities that I consistently have running is AdGuard and GlassWire Network Security. Of course I have my favorite VPNs out there running nearly 24/7 on the routing level. The rest of the software is used on a need to be used basis. Some used more often than others, but again I wouldn't say 27 real-time protection programs would be accurate by any means.. However, we are all entitled to our own opinions!

To be honest I do not run into any program conflicts as much of the programs do things differently or are not running at the same time at all. If everything was running at the same time - lets say backup programs - I would say we would run into some serious issues. Same with MalwareBytes and Norton 360 or my other third party scanning tools I am using. There is a use case for all of them, but using them improperly can cause massive issues. Some folks will argue that MB and Norton 360 are good to be used in a active-active state (at the same time). I could agree with them in some scenarios, but other scenarios (mostly) I would say its best to have just one (1) real time AV software at any point of time.

FYI The Adguard extension switches to Integration mode if you have the desktop software and you can use it instead of the Assistant if you wish.

Very true @cliffspab ! Integration between the two is nice. Hence why I use the two. Never had issues using both all these years.

Hope I helped answer all of your questions thus far MT! Holler if you have other questions.

~Brian

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
I could be wrong, but it seems that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware already includes the functionality of AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes. Why then do you need to keep AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes in the system? Why use Norton Power Eraser (NPE) if Norton Security Premium is already installed on your system? Zemana Antilogger Premium also seems redundant, given that the system has Norton Security Premium. Zemana AntiMalware (Portable & Free) is not needed when Zemana Antilogger Premium is installed, since Premium includes all the functionality of Portable & Free.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hi Everyone!

Made some major changes to my configuration from the last time I updated my post. Please see below:

Major Changes:
  • Upgraded to Windows 10 2004
  • Upgraded to the latest release of Acronis True Image 2020 (paid and latest release - perpetual license for v2020)
  • Upgraded to the latest release of Adguard Premium which is v7.4.2 (paid - latest release - lifetime license)
  • Upgraded to the latest release of AOMEI Backupper Pro which is v5.8 (paid - latest release)
  • Upgraded to the latest release of AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Pro Edition which is v8.8 (paid - latest stable - lifetime license)
  • Upgraded to the latest release of AOMEI Parition Assistant Pro Edition which is v8.8 (paid - latest stable - lifetime license)
  • Upgraded to the latest release of Glary Utilities PRO which is v5.146.0.172 (paid and latest release)
  • Upgraded to the latest release of GlassWire Elite which is v2.2.210 (paid - latest release/stable)
  • Upgraded to the latest release of Hard Disk Sentinel Pro which is v5.61 (paid - latest release - lifetime license)
  • Revo Uninstaller v4 which is on the release of 4.3.3 (Pro Portable - Paid - Paid for 2 years of updates!)
  • viBoot from Macrium Reflect to release of v7.2.4971 (free - latest stable)
  • Upgraded to the latest release of VMware Workstation Pro 15 to release v15.5 (paid - latest release - perpetual license for v15)
  • Upgraded to the latest release of VoodooShield Premium which is v5.7x
  • Upgraded to the latest release of Sticky Password which is v8.2.3.43
  • Upgraded to the latest release of RoboForm for Business which is v8.9.0.0
Currently looking at the following (may discontinue using):
  • SecureMyBit DHScan – Is this still being developed or is it discontinued?
  • Zemana AntiMalware (Portable & Free) – Any development from the latest release which was from a while back?
  • Upgraded to the latest release of Sandboxie (latest release) – not liking how development is going…or lack thereof. Seems like it is getting shut down in a way. Thoughts?
Discontinued use of the following:
  • Malwarebytes JRT (Portable & Free & Discontinued [still good for finding nasty stuff, but the end of life was April 26, 2018])
  • AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes – will revisit at a later date...maybe..??
  • Zemana Antilogger Premium (paid - latest release - using as needed) – Is this still being developed or is it discontinued?
@JM Safe do you know what development may be going on for Zemana? Also, are you still developing your own tools such as DHScan bro?

Thoughts, questions, or what you'd like to know more of let me know!
~Brian

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
You have as periodic scanners: Norton Power Eraser, Emsisoft Emergency Kit and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
According to @cruelsister and AV Test Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool would be a better option.
Does NPE make sense with Norton Security Premium as real time protection?
I would ask the same question for Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool if you were running a Kaspersky solution real time.
Which are the most efficient second option scanners?
Can the HUB testers, @cruelsister and other members give their opinion on that?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
You have as periodic scanners: Norton Power Eraser, Emsisoft Emergency Kit and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
According to @cruelsister and AV Test Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool would be a better option.
Does NPE make sense with Norton Security Premium as real time protection?
I would ask the same question for Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool if you were running a Kaspersky solution real time.
Which are the most efficient second option scanners?
Can the HUB testers, @cruelsister and other members give their opinion on that?
You are right, using the same vendor as AV and as "periodic scanner" doesn't makes sense, just performing a quick-scan by your AV!

NPE, EKK, both are able to detect suspicious/malicious scripts, but HitmanPro is unable to scan files like that...

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
tremendous overkill with system protection tools
and also with copying programs, it is strange that there are no problems with compatibility.
I retracted my above post #10 in some other thread posted elsewhere because I'm also using Shadow Defender/Sandboxie/VirtualBox. BTW, he is also into testing malware so having the aforementioned software could be a necessity in his case.

As for me I'm not into mlaware testing. However, I use

Shadow Defender to protect my entire system
Sandboxie to sandbox applications like browsers, MS Office, SumatraPDF Reader, SMPlayer etc when I'm using my Windows host machine
VirtualBox when I run Linux OSes like Linux Mint Mate, Linux Manjaro etc

Not too much I would say

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Hi @harlan4096 ! Please note as I have said above VDS will remain in the "active" department, but I don't always have it "activated" in the since of real time - more or less we are looking at Norton being activated 60% or more of the time. Now if both are on at the same time I would say it is overkill. haha With VoodooShield on I have Norton in "off"/disabled mode.

Thanks @Moonhorse ! Indeed I have quite a few utilities for sure. All have their purpose in my technology tool chest I would say. I have paid some serious $$$$$ for the tools that are paid which is quite a few.

Norton and BD are really tight as far as security. I would go with BD if the control center didn't give others in the family the capabilities to delete other computers. Therefore, Norton it is - for now at least. Would be nice if BD had a control center similar to GravityZone for licensing - that way other family members cannot play around with licensing of computers.

~Brian
You give access to BD Central to others family members?

Reactions: blackice

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.