Status
Not open for further replies.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Honestly it depends on your system config...Every antivirus behaves differently on different systems.

The test results conducted to find the lightest antivirus across various sites is done on a particular system config.. It might not be the same for another system.

For an antivirus to be truly light, it should be tested on a system with minimal resources. Even if an antivirus feels light on my Win 8.1 system with 4GB RAM, it won't be the same for another one running Win 7 with 1GB RAM.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Last time I checked Panda is no longer lightweight. Uses as much memory as MBAM.

For lightweight AV I recommend Avast and Qihoo 360

I have the new panda version not yet tested... thanks for your info!

Striker

Level 7
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
GO with 360 Total Security, Its awsome
360 TS need still some workaround. its a bit buggy and sometimes fail to detect threads even when qihoo is have no problems detecting it. And the TS version is bloated like hell without a chance todo a costum install, like avast free.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What do you mean by lightweight? IMO, I would say MSE is a lightweight AV, but here are more options.

Avira Free Antivirus (without Avira Essentials!, uninstall post-installation, ignore toolbar offer)
Avast Free Antivirus (without Tools, do custom install, ignore Chrome or GToolbar offer)

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
What do you mean by lightweight? IMO, I would say MSE is a lightweight AV, but here are more options.

Avira Free Antivirus (without Avira Essentials!, uninstall post-installation, ignore toolbar offer)
Avast Free Antivirus (without Tools, do custom install, ignore Chrome or GToolbar offer)
Avira can slow down any no high end system when doing a scan automatic or not.

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Go with 360 Internet security (NOT TOTALSecurity) and you will not regret.
Reasons to choose 360 Internet Security:
1) FREE
2) TOP detection rate even better than some paid AVs
3) Very light (On windows 7 WITH Bitdefender engine enabled it consumes approximately 30 MB).Also windows starts very fast.
4) Stable program (NO crashes , no bugs,no system instability)
5) Very good support team
6) Very good Proactive Defense (system protection, registry protection, download protection, file protection, driver protection, network protection etc)
7) It blocks keyloggers and also protect your camera (if you use one) from being used by other persons
8) Updating 2-3 times per day instead of other free AVs that update 1 time per day
9) Color themes and settings to play with
10) SANDBOX that can isolate suspicious programs especially when you are not connected on the internet.
11) Instant cloud analysis of suspicious items
12) Very fast scan times

The choice is yours

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.