Lindows security Configuration(updated)

Lindows

Thread author
Aug 19, 2011
DNS service: Open DNS
Sandbox: Oracle Virtual-box and Sandboxie

Thank you guys for this Awesome community................... Cheers!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: Lindows security Configuration

I see how you came up with your username. :p

Your real-time protection looks good, but depends how you browse.

Do you use any extensions on your web browsers?

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011

ESET and Malwarebytes, I like the sound of them together. Good config.

Yes what are your browser extensions, Do you use your ISP's DNS server or have you changed it?

Do you use any password managers or use browsers built in manager?

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011

Is that Comodo Firewall and D+ or just Firewall?

Which is your primary OS?

Lindows

Thread author
Aug 19, 2011

I don't use any DNS services......

In IE 9 I use WOT and tracker protection, In Google chrome I use add block plus and WOT...

I use keepass...

I use comodo firewall with Firewall security config ie without sandbox but HIPS only i play games a lot so i don't want auto sandbox to interfere i it...

Windows 7 64 bit is my primary but during browsing i use Linux Ubuntu 11.04...

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011

So you have the Defense+ with autosandboxing disabled? I do the same thing.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Adding Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) for protection against exploit.

Then also under on demand scanning you can add Hitman Pro (can be a portable too).

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Real-time protection:

Looks good. I don't like to have to real-time in my configs but as far as I know MBAM will work great with NOD32.

On-demand scanners:

Hitman Pro (Trial) - link
An on-demand scanner using multiple anti-malware engines and cloud technology. It offers unlimited free scanning but once you use it to remove detected malware it switches to a 30-day trial version. I recommend using it after you've scanned your hard-drive with the other products you have installed.

Emsisoft Emergency Kit (Free) - link
With the Emsisoft Emergency Kit Scanner you have got the powerful Emsisoft Scanner including graphical user interface. Search the infected PC for Viruses, Trojans, Spyware, Adware, Worms, Dialers, Keyloggers and other malign programs.
Run the Emsisoft Emergency Kit Scanner with a double click on a2emergencykit.exe. Found Malware can be moved to quarantine or finally deleted.

Browser(s) Add-ons:

Ghostery (Free) -link
Ghostery is your window into the invisible web – tags, web bugs, pixels and beacons that are included on web pages in order to get an idea of your online behavior.
Ghostery tracks the trackers and gives you a roll-call of the ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers, and other companies interested in your activity.
You can read here a review on Ghostery

Extras:

Add Sandboxie to your configuration, start your browser in Sandbox Mode when you do some dangerous surfing or trying to open unknown executables.
Virtualization:
Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

FrontPageAnimation.gif

FrontPageLegend.png

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011

If you're willing to pay for software Sandboxie is the best you can get.

Lindows

Thread author
Aug 19, 2011

I think my configuration is enough for me...... I play games a lot so, I don't want to load my computer with huge software's and reduce my computer performance...

Thanks for the suggestion guys.......:rolleyes:

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Hungry Man said:
If you're willing to pay for software Sandboxie is the best you can get.
The free version is good enough... BufferZone is working on 64bit support...so soon we should have a real option for Sandboxie:D
Lindows said:
I think my configuration is enough for me...... I play games a lot so, I don't want to load my computer with huge software's and reduce my computer performance...

Thanks for the suggestion guys.......:rolleyes:

All the software that I've recommend won't run in real time. They are programs that will help you better secure your system without having any kind of impact on your system.
Anyway..Take a look at them..and try each one.If you don't like one...just uninstall it.

Lindows

Thread author
Aug 19, 2011

All the software that I've recommend won't run in real time. They are programs that will help you better secure your system without having any kind of impact on your system.
Anyway..Take a look at them..and try each one.If you don't like one...just uninstall it.

Currently I use Virtual box for sand-boxing..... If something is suspicious i execute inside a Virtual machine and see.....

And maybe i will try emsisoft emergency kit.........

and a don't know what is Ghostery cant you explain it to me its kind of new....

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Ghostery is an addon that was used for blocked trackers like Google Analytics, DoubleClick, Quantcast and others. (When its blocked, Advertisement, script and others were not appeared)

Since those trackers are always on the website and it was visited always sometimes we didn't notice and our activity was tracked. Simply to be called as web bug.

So this addon can be useful.

Lindows

Thread author
Aug 19, 2011

jamescv7 said:
Ghostery is an addon that was used for blocked trackers like Google Analytics, DoubleClick, Quantcast and others. (When its blocked, Advertisement, script and others were not appeared)

Since those trackers are always on the website and it was visited always sometimes we didn't notice and our activity was tracked. Simply to be called as web bug .

So this addon can be useful.

Ok , ill try this one..... Its new.........

Thanks for the info.......

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011

Do you dual boot Windows and Ubuntu on the same machine?
Which do you use for every day browsing?
What do you use the other for?

Lindows

Thread author
Aug 19, 2011

elliotcroft said:

Yes i dual booted ubuntu with windows 7.....

I use ubuntu for browsing and i use windows for gaming and other stuff......

What is Kubuntu heard of it what are its features.........!

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011

Lindows said:
elliotcroft said:

Yes i dual booted ubuntu with windows 7.....

I use ubuntu for browsing and i use windows for gaming and other stuff......

What is Kubuntu heard of it what are its features.........!
Kubuntu is just Ubuntu with the KDE Plasma Desktop Environment as opposed to the standard GNOME / Unity desktop environment.
You can get the KDE Plasma Desktop Environment from the Ubuntu Software Centre.
300px-UbuntuNattyKDE.png

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011

Yup. You're fairly safe from Malware I'd say. I think it's pretty easy to configure a computer to be malware-free. The issue is:

a) Protecting computers from users (not an issue in your case since you had enough common sense to come to this site =p)

b) Protect users from hackers -- less of an issue since personal computers are rarely direct targets from a motivated hacker.

Lindows

Thread author
Aug 19, 2011

Hungry Man said:
Yup. You're fairly safe from Malware I'd say. I think it's pretty easy to configure a computer to be malware-free. The issue is:

a) Protecting computers from users (not an issue in your case since you had enough common sense to come to this site =p)

b) Protect users from hackers -- less of an issue since personal computers are rarely direct targets from a motivated hacker.
Thanks for the reply.........

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.