Advice Request LineageOS: Thoughts on this Android security configuration?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I've spent the past little while finding security and privacy focused alternatives for everything. I would switch to LineageOS, but certain apps like Netflix and banking apps won't work and to their credit, as they will scan to see if the device is rooted. I have put together a hypothetical security configuration to use on my Galaxy S7.

Main security: Bitdefender Antivirus Free, AdGuard For Android (paid), IMSI Catcher, Bitdefender USSD Protection, Find My Device

Temporary Security (Will be uninstalled after first scan): Norton Hault, Kaspersky Threat Scan, Bitdefender Carrier IQ, Trend Micro Shellshock Detector

Other but relevant apps: LessPass, FreeOTP, LastPass, OpenKeychain, SSE Universal Encryption

VPN (configured through AdGuard): NordVPN

DNS: NordVPN DNS

I wanted to have both a firewall and VPN without rooting, and with AdGuard, I can configure NordVPN within the app, while it acts as a firewall and content blocker. I chose to use NordVPN DNS to avoid DNS leakage, and it is pointless to use AdGuard DNS if I am already using the app. I got Bitdefender Free because it has arguably the best detection rate for android, and I don't care for the extra anti-theft features as they don't work since I am using Signal instead of the default SMS messenger. I am unsure if it has real-time protection, but if it doesn't, it won't matter as AdGuard will be used as a firewall and content blocker 24/7.

The reason I have both LessPass and LastPass is because I am in the process of changing all my passwords to LessPass, but eventually I will be able to get rid of LastPass.

UPDATE: Everyone is recommending I don't root my phone, and I never said I was, so I'm confused where that is from. :ROFLMAO:But it was also recommended I just install apps from the google play store. As I explained earlier, I am trying to move as far away from Google services as I can, so I won't be using the play store much. Just wanted to clear that up so I don't get more replies recommending something I am trying to avoid. :p

Last edited:

REDBEARD1

Level 1
Mar 7, 2016
I've spent the past little while finding security and privacy focused alternatives for everything. I would switch to LineageOS, but certain apps like Netflix and banking apps won't work and to their credit, as they will scan to see if the device is rooted. I have put together a hypothetical security configuration to use on my Galaxy S7.

Main security: Bitdefender Antivirus Free, AdGuard For Android (paid), IMSI Catcher, Bitdefender USSD Protection, Find My Device

Temporary Security (Will be uninstalled after first scan): Norton Hault, Kaspersky Threat Scan, Bitdefender Carrier IQ, Trend Micro Shellshock Detector

Other but relevant apps: LessPass, FreeOTP, LastPass, OpenKeychain, SSE Universal Encryption

I wanted to have both a firewall and VPN without rooting, and with AdGuard, I can configure NordVPN within the app, while it acts as a firewall and content blocker. I chose to use NordVPN DNS to avoid DNS leakage, and it is pointless to use AdGuard DNS if I am already using the app. I got Bitdefender Free because it has arguably the best detection rate for android, and I don't care for the extra anti-theft features as they don't work since I am using Signal instead of the default SMS messenger. I am unsure if it has real-time protection, but if it doesn't, it won't matter as AdGuard will be used as a firewall and content blocker 24/7.

The reason I have both LessPass and LastPass is because I am in the process of changing all my passwords to LessPass, but eventually I will be able to get rid of LastPass.
Any problem with last pass? (I'm using it) Im using Lookout with no problems. It saves my phone numbers with the free version. PIA is my vpn, has built in blockers.

Isnt your os behind on patches? I have a nexus, so im always current.............

Reactions: LukeLovesSecurity

CoherentCrayon

Level 4
Verified
Jun 23, 2017
I would switch to LineageOS, but certain apps like Netflix and banking apps won't work and to their credit, as they will scan to see if the device is rooted.
You don't need to root to install LineageOS. On my old unrooted Galaxy S4 Mini which has LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2), Netflix seems to works fine (haven't tested watching offline though)

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
Honestly, if you dont root your device and only download apps from the Play Store, an android antivirus is not necessary.
Save your RAM and battery.

I am moving away from Google services as much as possible, so I won't be downloading from the Play Store much. I don't mind sacrificing ram, I got 4GB on this beast. As far as battery, I got a portable battery since I knew adding AdGuard would waste a lot of it.

I am also trying to control exactly what goes on in my phone, so I will need a firewall.

I'm willing to make sacrifices for security and privacy. :p

Reactions: brod56

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I second that.
This setup is a bloat and a waste of the resources.

I don't think you understand what I am trying to do. I am trying to put the phone on lock down, so I will need a firewall.

And I don't see what would be considered bloat. The apps all have different necessary functions.

Last edited:

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
You don't need to root to install LineageOS. On my old unrooted Galaxy S4 Mini which has LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2), Netflix seems to works fine (haven't tested watching offline though)

Hmm, I'd have to look into it. Besides, it is a big change to replace the OS, so I think I will stick with Android till Purism's phone comes out.

Reactions: CoherentCrayon

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
+1.
I nv root my phone. And the only security apps (some think it doesn't) I installed is Adguard.

I would only use AdGuard, but USSD exploits worry me, and I will be installing outside the play store, so I just added Bitdefender to scan for whenever I install a new app.

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
Any problem with last pass? (I'm using it) Im using Lookout with no problems. It saves my phone numbers with the free version. PIA is my vpn, has built in blockers.

Isnt your os behind on patches? I have a nexus, so im always current.............

Using LastPass is putting your trust in LastPass. Surely they may claim there isn't anything fishy going on, but it isn't open source, so we can't tell. I just want to be in control of my passwords instead of someone else. As far as patches, I am unsure how up to date Samsung is, but that is only a small part in security. I still need a firewall and content blocker, and I have an antivirus since I am installing apps outside the play store.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I'll refer you to the post above in response to brod56. Installing from the play store isn't what I plan to do.
So you want security and privacy on Android? So throw the cell phone in the trash, because this is impossible in today's times, especially privacy.

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
So you want security and privacy on Android? So throw the cell phone in the trash, because this is impossible in today's times, especially privacy.

How is privacy impossible? I may have to sacrifice a few things, but it isn't impossible.

Let me rephrase, what exactly would be compromising my privacy?

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017

Im not sure about the security part, because nowadays Android is a pretty safe environment for regular people. About privacy, I definitely agree, because there's very little way one can escape from at least the Google Play services collecting data.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
How is privacy impossible? I may have to sacrifice a few things, but it isn't impossible.

Let me rephrase, what exactly would be compromising my privacy?
Well, if you use Android, obviously Google will have access to almost everything you do, your number, your number of contacts, your email, what you search for, your location (where you live, places you visit), and other things, you can even avoid many things, but 100% privacy there is no friend.

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
Im not sure about the security part, because nowadays Android is a pretty safe environment for regular people. About privacy, I definitely agree, because there's very little way one can escape from at least the Google Play services collecting data.

While google will try to collect data, with AdGuard, I will be able to block any trackers or ads. Furthermore, the only Google services I would use are Google Play Games, Google Play Store, and Find My Device. All of which, Google would not be able to spy on much if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.