Linksys Router Firmware Upgrade

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I have not upgraded my wireless router's firmware for over 2 years. I am attempting to download the file from Cisco's site. It keeps wanting to save to NOTEPAD automatically. I sent it from there to the desktop as a zip file. Will that do for the router upgrade or do I need to bypass NOTEPAD somehow??

amusedgeek

Sep 28, 2012
Which model do you have?
Every firmware file I have seen from Linksys was a .bin - if you have a zip file, you need to unzip it.
Then you need to get a wired, not wireless connection to your router before you apply the update.
Next browse to your router's web interface (usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 by default) the address depends on how the router was set up.
Then you have to find the page to update firmware, browse to the file you unzipped and install it.
If you need more specific info, please post model and version plus your computer's ip address.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I know my way through the administration tab at 192.168.1.1. All I need is to get it to where when I click "browse" from the router interface that I am able to snatch it up and install it.

At first it wanted to use VLC player to open the file when I clicked to download the firmware upgrade on the CISCO site. What is up with that?

My router is a Linksys WRT54GS V7.2

FYI: I am going to use the PC with the hardwire, not one of the remote machines that require a signal.

amusedgeek

Sep 28, 2012
??? You have me truly confused.
If you can get to the Administration tab, what is the problem?
One of the menu items under Administration is Firmware Update.

BIN and CUE files make up a very popular CD Image format, bin also indicates a binary file ...

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Yes, but you still have to BROWSE for the firmware file that has been download to the PC in order to install the update to the router. The gist is that I am not sure that NOTEPAD will let the upgrade install work properly.

amusedgeek

Sep 28, 2012
Notepad should have no effect because it is a windows executable. The firmware is using your computer as storage and your router is just getting the file from storage. Should be no problem as long as the download didn't get corrupted by either notepad or vlc. Is there a md5 for you to check?

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Upgrade successful! Thanks for all your help.

I am looking to possibly buy a new linksys wifi because the latest firmware upgrade (one I just installed via linksys site) is almost 2 years old. I don't think my router is supported anymore. If I do buy a new one, is a linksys EA4500 really that much better than an linksys E2500??? They differ in price by 100 dollars.

FYI: There are usually no more than two people accessing the internet from this local network at any given time. I do watch a lot of youtube.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.