• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tapoo

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
do you use linux? if yes, how, and what is your view about linux??

D

Deleted member 178

I use a linux-based live CD for its forensic tools and for back up datas if windows is unable to boot.

N

Nige_40

tapoo said:

I use linux on and off via my laptop, but I have to say I like using it. I did have Ubuntu 12.04 but I've moved over to Mint 13 which is real good, and easy to use just like Ubuntu is :)

But I have not brought it up in my config set-up :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've always returned back to Windows OS, so I'm happy with Windows.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I had Ubuntu installed after it first came out but I had some hardware compatibility problems ,mainly my sound card not working.I liked it but I really prefer a dual boot windows system.I might give it a try on VM sometime again.

N

Nige_40

exterminator20 said:
I had Ubuntu installed after it first came out but I had some hardware compatibility problems ,mainly my sound card not working.I liked it but I really prefer a dual boot windows system.I might give it a try on VM sometime again.

Hi exterminator

You can download Linux 12.04 LTS or 12.10 with the Windows installer.

So you can be dual booted. info below> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Nige_40 said:
exterminator20 said:

Hi exterminator

So you can be dual booted. info below> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer

Yes I know as I have had it dual booted in the past.I just prefer having Windows 7 & 8 right now.Thanks for the information though :)

Z

ZeroDay

I use and love! Linux :) I've got mint and ubuntu installed, I used to use Pinguy os but the last version didn't seem very stable.

N

Nige_40

exterminator20 said:
Nige_40 said:
exterminator20 said:

Hi exterminator

Yes I know as I have had it dual booted in the past.I just prefer having Windows 7 & 8 right now.Thanks for the information though :)

Your quite welcome exterminator :)

N

Nige_40

ZeroDay said:
I use and love! Linux :) I've got mint and ubuntu installed, I used to use Pinguy os but the last version didn't seem very stable.

Yeah I have heard of Pinguy but not tried it, But I'm happy with Ubuntu and Mint 13

Mind you I did have Mint 13 via VM, but I found it real slow, So I got a disk off a magazine :) But may end up installing full version soon, not sure as yet.

otherwise I keep using Ubuntu or Mint :) But not all the time.

P.S. I installed the latest Comodo Antivirus CAVL for Linux and it's real stable.

Z

ZeroDay

Pinguy was great at version 11 but it seems to have gone downhill since then. I don't think you can beat mint, I'll give cav a try :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I have Linux Mint 64-bit installed in VMWare Workstation and so far I really like it but I'm more of a Windows user. I have tried other Linux distributions and wasn't too happy with them.

Thanks.:D

N

Nige_40

Littlebits said:
I have Linux Mint 64-bit installed in VMWare Workstation and so far I really like it but I'm more of a Windows user. I have tried other Linux distributions and wasn't too happy with them.

Thanks.:D

That is a further enough comment :)

tapoo

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
last tested any linux distro 3 years ago, and was not satisfied enough....
yesterday tested Linux Mint KDE 14 Live DVD, and was quite satisfied, did surf internet , watched movies, listened song , used office software, quite satisfied for basic user as me, though i have very limited knowledge about linux, thinking about try some other distro as well later.....

I

illumination

Had dual boot on my windows 7 machine for awhile, but none the less, i am happy with windows and will be sticking with it.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Not for me. Currently have Windows as my main OS and that ain't changing any time soon.

Coffeeman

Level 3
Verified
Nov 24, 2012
I have used Linux in the past, mainly Ubuntu, Fedora and Mint, even openSuse and Archbang Linux. Now I have it installed as a secondary OS and remains secondary because my hobby is photography and I use Lightroom and sometimes Photoshop, two pieces of software that I cannot use in Linux, especially Lightroom.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
i tried kubuntu in the past,not bad i love the interface through windows is more userfriendly installing software etc! i will try linux mint soon!

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
tapoo said:

My laptop has Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04. Ubuntu is my secondary OS.
On my sisters' laptop Linux Mint 13 which is based on Ubuntu 12.04 is the main OS. And it has a Windows XP in VirtualBox for using MS Office. :D

N

Nige_40

tapoo said:
last tested any linux distro 3 years ago, and was not satisfied enough....
yesterday tested Linux Mint KDE 14 Live DVD, and was quite satisfied, did surf internet , watched movies, listened song , used office software, quite satisfied for basic user as me, though i have very limited knowledge about linux, thinking about try some other distro as well later.....

Well as you have said tapoo, that you are a basic user on Linux, then why don't you learn by using Ubuntu.Since a lot of sites say, if your new to Linux or know some basic stuff about Linux then the place to start is Ubuntu.

info here > http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/why-use-ubuntu

But if you are happy with Mint, then Ubuntu is mint already with extra bits. Info here > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1739420

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.