Advice Request Linux Help

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
It doesn't really matter which distro you use. A backup script for Ubuntu should work for CentOS if the dependencies are installed.

Example for a backup script:
Code:
zip -r /dir/to/save/the/zip/file/$(date +'%Y%m%d').zip /what/directory/should/be/backupped

That's all you need. I've been doing this locally and on my server for years. But I use a different compression.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
One small note: Even if many don't believe it, Google (if you enter Linux questions or error messages) will give you a lot of help. The community is small, but very strong with many forums and wikis. Maybe google next time. Please use it as motivation next time to find out for yourself :)
Have fun with your new operating system! It's really awesome!

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I agree with @askalan . Whenever I ran into some kind of a problem, I usually managed to find answers pretty quickly by browsing through previous threads on Ask Ubuntu, Ubuntu Forums or Linux Mint Forums. No matter what you're looking for, there's a great probability that the very same question has been asked before and already has an answer. :)

Paul.R

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
It doesn't really matter which distro you use. A backup script for Ubuntu should work for CentOS if the dependencies are installed.

Example for a backup script:
Code:
zip -r /dir/to/save/the/zip/file/$(date +'%Y%m%d').zip /what/directory/should/be/backupped

That's all you need. I've been doing this locally and on my server for years. But I use a different compression.

Your script works on an external HDD?
I want to do a script on a centOS to make a backup 1/week on an external HDD :D

//thanks you guys sorry for late response I was on vacation//

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.