Thanks! :)

I am one of those who declined to use Ubuntu, and switching to Linux Mint. :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Cool, another thing to test in a VM. Thanks. :)

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
@McLovin & HeffeD You are welcome :)

Finally! A new update for Universial USB installer that allows me to run the Live CD from a USB: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
The latest release of Linux Mint, codenamed Lisa, was recently released, and comes with three different variations on the GNOME desktop.

Linux Mint 12
Linux Mint starts in the correct fashion by showing a nice boot menu.

(Credit: Chris Duckett/Tech Republic)

Linux Mint 12: live CD environment
Rather than jumping straight into the install process, Mint chooses the live environment route.

We were dropped into a GNOME 3 fallback environment for the install, which was no hassle, as graphical acceleration during an installation process is truly an optional extra.

Linux Mint 12: starting installation process

The installation process is conducted by one of the nicer installers that we have encountered — this is a themed version of the Ubuntu installer.

Linux Mint 12: disk selection
If it's wrong to sit and stare contently at this screen after years of ugly text installers, then we don't want to be right.

Linux Mint 12: user set-up
Having installers actually do things, like copying files while it is asking the user for information, is a good way to trim the install time.

Linux Mint 12: waiting while installing
The live environment means that you can browse the web and do some productive work while installation is happening.

That's all good and well, but where's that corporate favourite: solitaire

Linux Mint 12: LightDM
Further showing Linux Mint's Ubuntu heritage, the log-in screen is powered by LightDM, and a Guest session is available.

In the session chooser are the GNOME 3-based desktops labelled as GNOME, two fallback environments and MATE for all the GNOME 2.x fans.

Linux Mint 12: welcome to GNOME 3
Now this is where we get to see if Mint is worth all the trouble for Ubuntu refugees.

At the bottom is a taskbar and a menu that is similar to the older Mint menu, which was the distribution's calling card.

The top-left corner is the equivalent of the Activities menu in GNOME 3.

That's correct; there are two ways to get at same applications and content on the desktop. I'm not convinced from a UX puritanical perspective that this is a good thing, but, from a practical viewpoint, it needed to happen to avoid the same criticisms being thrown at Mint that were thrown at GNOME 3.

Linux Mint 12: duelling launchers
Here we have the standard GNOME 3 launch overlay sitting behind the Mint menu. On the left side of the menu is the pinned applications equivalent of the GNOME 3 launcher.

Because the taskbar at the bottom has the workspaces sitting horizontally beside each other, the regular vertical workspace switcher from GNOME 3 is hidden, and can be exposed by moving the pointer to the far right side.

There is no way that this isn't going to be hard to explain at all in forums, or to your relatives.

Linux Mint 12: Alt-Tab behaviour
In GNOME 3, application windows are grouped together by application.

In Mint, each window is placed on the switcher, as can be seen with these two Nautilus windows open.

Link: Read more.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
what's the difference ..? let me know Wininux.
I am using the latest version of Ubuntu, dual boot with windows 7. but, I had to reformat it.
next few days will install Ubuntu 11.10.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
win7holic said:
what's the difference ..? let me know Wininux.
I am using the latest version of Ubuntu, dual boot with windows 7. but, I had to reformat it.
next few days will install Ubuntu 11.10.

It's based on Ubuntu, using the Gnome 3 Desktop environment, plus the MATE Desktop environment, which looks like the Gnome 2. I don't find Gnome 3 to be good for multitasking and many people do, so they have added MATE to Linux Mint 12. The reason for not adding Gnome 2 in LM12 is incompatibility with Gnome 3. Because of the big changes that happened, maybe there will be some bugs.

Please correct me if you find any of my information wrong.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
But, I do not feel worse at 11.10
seems stable for me. I use it for a month without any problems.
you use ubuntu for?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I actually like the look of it. Might give it a try in a VM. :)

P

Plexx

Finishing downloading Linux Mint 12 since I downloaded the deb version first.
Since I have cubuntu 10.10 release installed as a dual boot on my machine, I might just grab the 2 live cds of version 10.10 of ubuntu and kubuntu and then download the latest releases to compare usability via vmware.

Other distros downloaded and not yet fully tested are: Gentoo, Mageia (Mandriva like, but based on KDE only), Backtrack Linux (curious on some tools there) and Fedora.

All in all, looks like I will start giving my online games a miss for a bit.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Mint 12 got a very good review from ZDnet

ZDnet said:
Linux Mint 12: A Great desktop Linux stays Great
I’ve been using Linux and Unix desktops since the big interface question was C shell vs. Bourne instead of KDE vs. GNOME and I’m very impressed by the newest edition of the popular Mint Linux distribution.

Generally speaking, Mint is built on top of Ubuntu Linux. This version’s foundation is Ubuntu 11.10. Unlike Ubuntu though, which has gone its own way with its touch-friendly Unity interface, Mint’s developers have elected to stick with GNOME 3.2 desktop… sort of.

What Mint has actually done is support three different variations of the GNOME desktop. These are pure GNOME 3.2; Mint Gnome Shell Extensions (MGSE), which is a desktop layer on top of Gnome 3.2, that that makes it look and work like GNOME 2.3x; and MATE, a GNOME 2.x fork.

Read more >>

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.