Not open for further replies.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing this, Kaptain Bug.:) Linux Mint "Qiana" sounds very tempting especially after reading more & more of it's praises, and now this!:D

@illumination , reading how you've changed out Windows OS for Linux on your configuration sounded quite impressive, and gave me pause for thought!;) Although I may not be willing to uninstall Windows, jumping ship from 8.1 for Linux on my own newer lap top, just yet, do you think Mint could possibly work well on the same old Tower PC which houses XP that I've awakened, sandboxed, added Time Freeze to the arsenal, and where lubuntu is also duel booted? o_O It sports the dyed hard in the wool Pentium 4 CPU with a whopping:eek: 1 GB RAM!:rolleyes: :D

I

illumination

Thank you for sharing this, Kaptain Bug.:) Linux Mint "Qiana" sounds very tempting especially after reading more & more of it's praises, and now this!:D

@illumination , reading how you've changed out Windows OS for Linux on your configuration sounded quite impressive, and gave me pause for thought!;) Although I may not be willing to uninstall Windows, jumping ship from 8.1 for Linux on my own newer lap top, just yet, do you think Mint could possibly work well on the same old Tower PC which houses XP that I've awakened, sandboxed, added Time Freeze to the arsenal, and where lubuntu is also duel booted? o_O It sports the dyed hard in the wool Pentium 4 CPU with a whopping:eek: 1 GB RAM!:rolleyes: :D

The only way to know for sure is to create a bootable flash drive and test drive it.. when you first boot the "Live" iso, it will load Mint into your memory and you can actually test drive it with out installing it, to see if your hardware works, if you will even like it, if not, just chose shutdown, pull the flash drive, and your back to good ole xp.. If you decide you want to keep it, there will be an option right on Mints desktop to install, which will give you choices like dual booting, or even installing directly, wiping windows.. Even an option to create another partition if you so chose..

As far as your ram goes, you could run it with that, but it will not be as responsive if you had say, two gig of ram.. Of course if you decide you like it, would be worth finding another stick of ram for it..

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
The only way to know for sure is to create a bootable flash drive and test drive it.. when you first boot the "Live" iso, it will load Mint into your memory and you can actually test drive it with out installing it, to see if your hardware works, if you will even like it, if not, just chose shutdown, pull the flash drive, and your back to good ole xp.. If you decide you want to keep it, there will be an option right on Mints desktop to install, which will give you choices like dual booting, or even installing directly, wiping windows.. Even an option to create another partition if you so chose..

As far as your ram goes, you could run it with that, but it will not be as responsive if you had say, two gig of ram.. Of course if you decide you like it, would be worth finding another stick of ram for it..

Thanks my friend!:):) You do live up to your name!;) I had created a disc to "test drive" lubuntu, and gave it away to a friend. I hadn't even thought of the possibility of using flash drives for this!
..and 'another stick of RAM' sounds akin to adding whipped cream to a refreshingly fast Mint Sundae! I want one too!!:) :D

Reactions: illumination
I

illumination

Thanks my friend!:):) You do live up to your name!;) I had created a disc to "test drive" lubuntu, and gave it away to a friend. I hadn't even thought of the possibility of using flash drives for this!
..and 'another stick of RAM' sounds akin to adding whipped cream to a refreshingly fast Mint Sundae! I want one too!!:) :D

You are more then welcome... If you so chose, you can download your flavor of mint to your desktop, use this program to burn it to a flash drive "assuming your bios give you the option to boot from a USB flash drive", figured i should mention that ...

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
The latest version of Linux Mint, the 17th release codenamed “Qiana”, is now out! The popular Linux distribution is a great alternative for people wanting to leave Windows as well as those who just don’t quite like Ubuntu.

Read more
Just suggest, more better..provide Qiana Desktop Screenshot I would be grateful.

D

Deleted member 178

Dual-booted Win8.1.1 & Mint 17 Cinamon, both work like a charm ;)

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Hello everyone!

Great that the 17th is finally out :D I've heard great things about it, and the changelog is quite exciting :D

D

Deleted member 178

just comparing now which one you prefer the Cinnamon or Qiana.
till 2019 support..i guess.
btw Thanks for update.

qiana is the kernel , cinnamon is the desktop layer , i assume you mistaken Mate for Qiana

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" MATE is best for home PC . MATE desktop environment is most responsive.

Jaffa_Whacka

Level 2
Verified
May 24, 2014
I am about to try Linux Mint out mainly because of Umbras desktop screenshot and config lol. I mainly only browse the web and play 1 online game which is supposed to be supported by Wine so hopefully i will like it and replace Windows 7. I tried to get into linux before mainly Ubuntu but i did not last long. How secure is Mint on default? and how does it run on a 64 bit system?.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 178

Mint Cinnamon (the main Desktop) or Mate (the lightest one) and all linux OSes are better than Windows security wise, you run under limited account from the start and Linux just ask you when some changes needing admin rights are needed.

most big distros are fine with X64 system and even with UEFI machines , they are faster, safer than Windows.

the main drawbacks compared to windows is the drivers/hardware issues (some vendors don't bother to do a Linux version ) but fortunately , Linux users are mainly developers and geeks so they made the drivers for them. Also you will not have all the softwares you used to use while in Windows , but you will find some replacement and sometimes they are even better made.

it is why i recommend you to try Linux Mate first (looks like Win7) , you download the Live CD X64, then use Rufus to made it into a live USB (select UEFI/GPT scheme if your are under UEFI), then select the USB as first boot then try Mint Mate as a virtual OS to check if your hardware are recognized : sound, graphics, network card, etc...) then if you like and want install it ; create a thread on your config thread so we can help you step by step)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.