Linux recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slipstream

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 6, 2015
So, I realize there are many Linux threads and some touch on the subject of which flavors different users prefer. I, myself, have tried a few flavors; Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Mageia, OpenSUSE, and CentOS to name a few off the top of my head and on all of them, at some point, the user hits a wall.

That wall is; Terminal.

For linux to be successful in poaching the average Windows user it has to get rid of the need for use of the terminal to do basic things, like what Apple did with its OS.

Sure, some Linux flavors use commands less than others but eventually you hit a snag or something goes wrong and you are forced to use the terminal because it is easier to google commands than it is to fix something using a linux gui lol, so my question is this;

Does a Linux flavor that doesn't require terminal use (at all) exist? And by not using it at all I mean same as Windows in that most everyday users never have to use CMD at all, ever. If so, what is the distro called?

Thanks in advance for your feedback :)

Reactions: Sr. Normal

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You can use those distros without touching any terminal at all. ;)

Linux is also design for ease to use besides of being mostly design for developers testing purposes.

Installing an application can be done by going to repository download center which is built in from distro you use instead of operating in terminal. :)

I

illumination

One can use Linux without touching the Terminal now days, but the experience will not be as good. Many softwares require special edits to preform correctly in Linux that must be done via the terminal as the OP stated above.

That being said, i personally preferred using the Terminal over package managers, and well, for everything else. Once one becomes accustomed to it, it is not really difficult. Matter of fact most Linux users i know, can not pop commands off the top of their head and usually copy and paste them from searches. I can not think of one Linux distro that would not need to use the terminal to "adjust" certain softwares and fixes. It is as you have observed, a different world then windows.

S

Sr. Normal

For me, the most easiest distros to use and representative of KISS , (Keep It Simple, Stupid ) philosophy are based on Xfce desktop , especially Xubuntu and Manjaro . Another good choice would be Elementary Os.

In all end using the terminal , but there are thousands of pages on the internet with "how to" when you simply have to do a copy / paste.

Slipstream

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 6, 2015
Thanks everyone :)

I understand that Linux, first and foremost, is not Windows and therefore some type of learning curve goes without saying, I was just wondering whether or not I had missed some OS of recent times that will be a sort of "Windows clone" given that it has been a while since I touched any of those flavors I mentioned, but I guess not.

Thanks again!

Reactions: illumination
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.